Residuals Textures

User created maps and modifications, showcase your latest map, model, etc
Forum rules
The forum is now in read only mode, please see: https://redeclipse.net/discuss

Residuals Textures

Postby Unnamed » 08 Nov 2017 12:59

I made some new textures for residual decals. Do they look alright or should they fill up the most area instead?
20171108133832.jpg
burn

20171108133855.jpg
bleed

20171108133813.jpg
buff

residuals.zip
(278.74 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Unnamed

Re: Residuals Textures

Postby Dziq » 08 Nov 2017 23:47

Where is shock residual (maybe you made it, but forgot screenshot) ? ;p downloaded, going to see in game

edit: burn decal looks great
buff is nice too
bleed.. I don't like how this one look. I think that bleed should make actual bleeding, not just dirty texture (wounds on suit??? wtf), the same for shock. This looking very strange that bleed decal appear on weapons too
Dziq

Postby qreeves » 09 Nov 2017 03:41

Part of the issue with the decals is how they're applied to the child models like vanities and weapons. It's probably better to fill the space a little more and avoid patterns which end up looking weird when applied (like with the buff), this is why my crappy versions are just chaotic or flat. That being said, it is definitely a step in the right direction.
Quinton Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse
Check Out My YouTube Channel | Leave Me a Tip on PayPal
Contribute to Project Costs via PayPal or Patreon
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby Unnamed » 10 Nov 2017 11:37

Dziq wrote:Where is shock residual (maybe you made it, but forgot screenshot) ?

I made no shock texture. There is already a placeholder and I had no better idea.
Unnamed

Postby qreeves » 11 Nov 2017 03:06

OK, so after experimenting a little I decided it might be best to not render the residual texture on linked models, so now you can properly map the texture to the player model skin directly like any other model texture (in the same positioning as "data/actors/player/diffuse.png" for example). As all the other model textures are 1024x1024, I think it'd be safe to allow this for the residuals.

I've restored the original Tesseract model decal rendering and created a new channel called "mixer" which will be used for this residual effect. I'm thinking about adding another level of customisation for players by allowing them to apply a decal to their model, if we can get some made to facilitate that as well.
Quinton Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse
Check Out My YouTube Channel | Leave Me a Tip on PayPal
Contribute to Project Costs via PayPal or Patreon
qreeves
Site Admin

Return to Maps and Mods