[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Red Eclipse • View topic - [Idea] Improved flag-carry HUD notification

[Idea] Improved flag-carry HUD notification

This issue tracker is now in read-only mode. Please see for more information on how to contribute to Red Eclipse
Forum rules
The forum is now in read only mode, please see: https://redeclipse.net/discuss

[Idea] Improved flag-carry HUD notification

Postby acerspyro » 10 May 2014 22:32

Recently I have noticed players not noticing whether they were carrying a flag, and after chats in IRC I came up with the image below. I believe this would improve multiplayer gameplay and resolve some issues such as players mistakenly taking their own flag away from their base, eventually into enemy hands.
Attachments
demo1.png
*screams internally*
acerspyro

Re: [Idea] Improved flag-carry HUD notification

Postby freezurbern » 10 May 2014 22:42

I would really like this change because I have noticed that as the community grows, so do the mistakes of my fellow teammates. (of course, as there's more people playing the game for the first time.) That is why I would like something as crucial as carrying a flag to be more noticable.
freezurbern

Postby shirepirate » 10 May 2014 22:55

yeah, this couldn't hurt. seems like a good idea
shirepirate

Postby subraizada3 » 10 May 2014 23:02

Agreed, there have been many times where I've been wondering why everyone is swarming around me only to notice that I was carrying the flag after I am killed.
A bit off topic, but picking up the flag in SVN can be a bit hard. Often I have to walk over it a few times before it picks up.
subraizada3

Postby acerspyro » 10 May 2014 23:17

*screams internally*
acerspyro

Postby restcoser » 10 May 2014 23:56

Oh, but please make the notification size/style an option. I know when I'm carrying a flag already if theres just a small icon and i don't need an in the face style notification. Though I suppose for newer players this will be good, some command/variable should change it.
restcoser

Postby qreeves » 11 May 2014 01:44

How about I just move the "Holding: [ ] alpha" to the top with "You are holding: [ ] alpha" etc? Seems silly to duplicate it.
Quinton Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse
|
Contribute to Project Costs via or
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby acerspyro » 11 May 2014 17:36

*screams internally*
acerspyro

Postby Smilecythe » 12 May 2014 02:02

Slightly off-topic, but related to the issue I believe. I'm not sure if its just the servers I'm playing at (I'm quite new to RE), but every time something happens to either flag, you hear "Returned", "Captured" or "Secured". It would be very helpful if the announcer was more specific with which team's flag, because the chat box where it is mentioned is very hard to read during the moment of panic, or generally during any moment for new players not accustomed to reading it.
Smilecythe

Postby qreeves » 12 May 2014 04:44

Team names and colours are variable, so no. There are at least two other methods of seeing the current state of all flags and this suggestion will probably address half the issue. Anyway, I've accepted this, moving to issue tracker.
|
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby freezurbern » 12 May 2014 12:40

freezurbern

Postby Smilecythe » 12 May 2014 13:16

Variable, as in customizable or a list of team names/colours to pick up? I know I'm oblivious to your past efforts and I don't mean to be rude, but isn't there a slight design flaw in the current presentation of teams? Unless there's game modes with more than 2 teams, then simple "Red team" and "Blue team" would suffice, those are the team colours most of the time anyway, even addressing the gameplay events with distinction such as "Enemy team" or "Ally team" would be better. Clarity of the gameplay announcer in team games takes priority over symbolic features in my opinion.
Smilecythe

Postby freezurbern » 12 May 2014 13:51

freezurbern

Postby acerspyro » 12 May 2014 18:19

Also off-topic, I would like to have a command to remove the "press MOUSE1 to fire" message.
*screams internally*
acerspyro

Postby radiant » 12 May 2014 18:37

And...poof! Now you can have such a command: /shownotices 3
radiant

Postby Smilecythe » 13 May 2014 02:40

Smilecythe

Postby qreeves » 13 May 2014 03:52

Any updates to the sounds would require doing them all again from scratch. The original author is no longer active. You need to realise any non-code based idea relies on more factors than just me. There is also the issue of announcement length in game like RE. Time travel a bit and you hear more verbose announcements and riffs, but the multitude of it was trampling over everything else. It was a design decision to keep it short and simple. What you hear is secondary to what you see anyway, and I believe improving visibility of flag status is key.
|
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby acerspyro » 22 Jul 2014 19:30

I felt the need to bump this thread, as I believe that it is important to be able to clearly see whether or not you are holding the flag, and which flag, as people sometimes forget they have the flag, or accidentally pick up the flag while not paying attention to the message that appears during like 3 seconds or so, which might cause us needing to kill the player to then retrieve the flag and score, or then going into the enemy base with the flag without knowing it and getting killed. Make it blink aswell, since animated stuff catches the eye better than static stuff.
*screams internally*
acerspyro

Postby Honno » 22 Jul 2014 19:37

I sometimes forget I'm holding the flag in a overpopulated map (notably darkness) :/
Honno

Postby freezurbern » 22 Jul 2014 20:50

freezurbern

Return to Issue Tracker