[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Red Eclipse • View topic - Infinite Impulse glitch. Bug or "secret" mechanic?

Infinite Impulse glitch. Bug or "secret" mechanic?

Get help for installation issues, playing problems, mapping troubles, etc
Forum rules
The forum is now in read only mode, please see: https://redeclipse.net/discuss

Infinite Impulse glitch. Bug or "secret" mechanic?

Postby SniperGoth » 05 Jul 2016 00:15

Today, while playing a little around with the claws, i stumbled into this infinite impulse glitch...
To do it, it's simple.
1-have the claws selected.
2-start a wallrun.
3-Use claw2 on the wall, then do the wallrun.
4-Repeat the process, Wallrun>Claw2>Wallrun>Claw2>Wallrun>Claw2...
That way you won't ever fall, basically, going at a constant 100 speed.

I honestly don't believe this is exactly "game breaking", because it's a lot situational, like the Ladder Launch.
Any thoughts?
Ex Iron fist level designer/ Ex Revelade Revolution level designer, 3d/2d artist, and still trying to figure out sound design...
SniperGoth

Re: Infinite Impulse glitch. Bug or "secret" mechanic?

Postby qreeves » 05 Jul 2016 04:49

Hmmm yeah, the claw would reset the air state (just like being on a ladder) allowing unlimited impulse moves. Entirely unintentional, could break race times though?
Quinton Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse
|
Contribute to Project Costs via or
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby zaquest » 05 Jul 2016 07:06

Increased push allows interesting moves too, but they are probably useless in normal game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waUwXLXyxXw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzGoQFKBbkI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvXvGtDhxHU

This could make it possible to get in places where you can't get with usual 6-moves parkour, but I don't think there're any such places on official maps.
zaquest

Postby Iceflower » 05 Jul 2016 09:32

I think this should be fixed.
I know my English is cruel. :$
When I talk rubbish correct me.
Iceflower

Postby bonifarz » 05 Jul 2016 10:24

Mhm, the impulse count is one of the first things i tested when the claws were brand new in master.
And it still applies. Just done some testing with lower impulsecost. Grab climb: 6 move limit. Grabs and kicks: 6 moves. Grabs and boosts: 6 moves.
But snipergoth's method is indeed reproducible, so it must be a bug, and not just the rule to reset the count on grabs. Trying things like mixing up wall run, grab and kick, the count limit still kicks in. So this is quite weird.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby FaTony » 05 Jul 2016 12:24

I don't think this is game breaking.
FaTony

Postby Iceflower » 05 Jul 2016 15:10

Iceflower

Postby SniperGoth » 05 Jul 2016 15:40

Ex Iron fist level designer/ Ex Revelade Revolution level designer, 3d/2d artist, and still trying to figure out sound design...
SniperGoth

Postby Iceflower » 05 Jul 2016 20:29

So a hide on canals is still there. And some race maps will have some problems too. If theres a long wall you have now no problem.... and does not have to look how you need to move

(I THINK YOU WILL DESTROY MY RACE MAPS -.- :evil: First: the slide "bug", now this infinite wall run :( )
Iceflower

Postby qreeves » 06 Jul 2016 02:54

What's the slide bug?

EDIT: Yeah, the hitpush on the weapons at the moment is the result of a bug being fixed elsewhere in the code. Need to ramp down the values, just need to determine by how much.
Quinton Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse
|
Contribute to Project Costs via or
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby bonifarz » 06 Jul 2016 10:16

I'd say it's not an obvious game breaker, but it's definitely a thing that is worth fixing. And yes, of course there are custom race maps where such an exploit allows to skip major sections of the route, e.g. escape_ultima.

With the "slide bug", they refer to repeated launches inside ladder material. On my movement tutorial, I call this move "ladder launch", too. It's in the last section of the red route, advanced.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby FaTony » 06 Jul 2016 12:00

I like current hitpush :\
FaTony

Postby SniperGoth » 06 Jul 2016 13:53

I think we should do some comparison videos about the race with the claw2 glitch, and without doing it, to see the damage.

Also, the new hitpush is considered a bug? I thought we were finally getting advanced weapon movement (grenade jump, plasma rush etc) in the game :p
SniperGoth

Postby bonifarz » 06 Jul 2016 14:15

Yeah, I don't think grenade jumps are such a big problem, it's good to see that not only the flamer is useful for movement. I guess it's more a matter of fine tuning?

Comparison of claw in race: You mean without the trick you described, right? I think the claw can actually be pretty useful, it is just situational and a bit difficult to use. Its actual push is stronger than that of other parkour moves, and since the impulse cost is 50% lower, it's certainly great for endurance-race.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby Iceflower » 06 Jul 2016 14:30

Iceflower

Return to Help and Support