[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Red Eclipse • View topic - How to build current release from source?

How to build current release from source?

Get help for installation issues, playing problems, mapping troubles, etc
Forum rules
The forum is now in read only mode, please see: https://redeclipse.net/discuss

How to build current release from source?

Postby wastenot » 17 Jun 2016 04:16

Hi,

I see instructions to download the current release version tarball, extract it, and run it (). I have done so and it works on Ubuntu.

I also have found and used the instructions to build the source from the instructions at http://redeclipse.net/wiki/Obtain_devel ... ne_via_Git and that also works. What I'm wanting to do is build the exact same source as used in the current installer tarball, such that I have a runtime that is able to connect up to current servers just like the release version installer tarballs do (e.g., no protocol differences).

In other open-source tools, usually the released version is on a git branch, but I searched and searched and could not find info on the specific git commands to use to cloning the released version. I tried messing around with the "branch" names inside the .gitmodules file, such as changing "master" to "stable", but that did not work.

What are the instructions for building the released version?

Thanks,
wn
wastenot

Re: How to build current release from source?

Postby qreeves » 17 Jun 2016 06:14

The way to switch branches in git is - git checkout <name> - in this case, you want "stable".

The easy way: REDECLIPSE_BRANCH="source" ./redeclipse.sh - this automatically uses the git repository at the current state, and automatically builds any updated files (like after a "git pull").

The harder way: The way to build the source is - make -C src install - this ensures the binaries are put in their proper place (bin/[x86|amd64]/*). By default, if you have a ".git" folder the updater will use the "devel" alias branch (a mirror of "master") that attempts to fetch the latest updates. You'll want to edit (or create) "branch.txt" and have the word "inplace" on a single line to run using what you built.

Note: You'll only build for your current platform by default (32 or 64 bit), cross compiling is a more complicated subject but this is handled by our if you want to delve deeper.
Quinton Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse
|
Contribute to Project Costs via or
qreeves
Site Admin

Re: How to build current release from source?

Postby wastenot » 17 Jun 2016 14:47

Thanks Quinton. I'll play with one or both of those options. I think I was getting bit by *git status* not revealing the remote "stable" branch.

-wn
wastenot

Return to Help and Support