[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Red Eclipse • View topic - How are handles ...handled?

How are handles ...handled?

Get help for installation issues, playing problems, mapping troubles, etc
Forum rules
The forum is now in read only mode, please see: https://redeclipse.net/discuss

How are handles ...handled?

Postby rereadit » 06 Nov 2016 10:24

It looks like the game_players table on the master server stores the player's name and handle, where the name is their currently set 'name' and the handle is what they register for on this .

Just out of curiosity, what actually happens when that form gets submitted?
rereadit

Re: How are handles ...handled?

Postby shacknetisp » 06 Nov 2016 13:23

That form is processed manually, a key pair is generated, the public key and handle go into a configuration file and the private key with usage instructions is sent to the submitter.
The game_players table is part of the statistics system, it has nothing to do with actual authentication. That table specifically just records a player's state in a game, such as name, time played, deaths, etc.
Beha | Leader of the | |
shacknetisp

Re: How are handles ...handled?

Postby rereadit » 06 Nov 2016 20:16

Cool, that makes sense.

The reason I ask is I think the 'please allow 4 weeks' for processing may prevent people from signing up in the first place. People tend to like instant gratification. I realize that this is more of a reserving a community handle as opposed to having player progression and unlockables that gets associated with their account, but still, maybe we could streamline this process?

I've been working on a gui to generate keypairs in game. I don't how to go forward with this, which is why I asked about the handles.

Here are some screen shots:
Screenshot from 2016-11-06 14-40-13.png
The identity selector screen. Generally a person will have a single identity, but it could be useful if players are using a shared computer. Also good for testing.

Screenshot from 2016-11-06 14-40-32.png
The files get stored in a subdirectory of the RE home directory.

Screenshot from 2016-11-06 14-40-42.png
An example of an identity file.

Screenshot from 2016-11-06 14-57-51.png
In this picture I am about to sign a message from in game. This is not the anticipated use case, its just for testing.

Screenshot from 2016-11-06 14-57-58.png
Here's the result of signing the message which was stored in the $sig variable.

Basically I'm at a point where I can't go forward with this on my own, so I'm trying to gather some information so I can make a coherent sounding post. Thanks
rereadit

Return to Help and Support