[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Red Eclipse • View topic - [MAP] Catacombs

[MAP] Catacombs

User created maps and modifications, showcase your latest map, model, etc
Forum rules
The forum is now in read only mode, please see: https://redeclipse.net/discuss

[MAP] Catacombs

Postby GeneralKarnage » 25 Jun 2016 03:55

Hello, Red Eclipse community! My name is General Karnage.
I have been creating custom maps for this game for several years; however, I finally decided to set up an account and get my work out there! This is one of my favorite maps of mine, "The Catacombs". It is a small map, perfect for FFA deathmatches or survivor. Enjoy!
Attachments
20160625093806.png
20160625093817.png
20160625093825.png
20160625093844.png
20160625093853.png
catacombs.zip
(screenshots are of an older version)
(2.88 MiB) Downloaded 100 times
Last edited by GeneralKarnage on 11 Aug 2016 00:13, edited 3 times in total.
GeneralKarnage

Re: [MAP] Catacombs

Postby qreeves » 25 Jun 2016 04:36

Pro tip: screenshots!
Quinton Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse
|
Contribute to Project Costs via or
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby bonifarz » 25 Jun 2016 09:48

Welcome to the forums, GeneralKarnage.

I like the map's style, something between Fatony's Castle (you should mention that this one is an FFA map, too) and unixfreak's Occult (a custom race map with a goth theme).

Bell mapmodels for the torches are a nice idea (detail: You placed two on top of each other on each fire, probably not intended).

Some parts are a bit too dark for my taste - i know it suits the theme, but it's also good to see where you are going ;)
Some people will probably disagree with this point, though, and we also have darker maps in our default rotation, such as biolytic.

I think this map should be playtested online, it looks nice and polished, but I cannot judge if the flow is good.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby GeneralKarnage » 25 Jun 2016 13:36

Thanks, bonifarz!
I've tested this map with a few friends, and it works well. If you think it would make it easier for players to fight on, I can make the fog distance a bit larger.

I will upload some screenshots soon!

Screenshots posted. Enjoy!
GeneralKarnage

Postby bonifarz » 25 Jun 2016 20:34

Attachments
cata.gif
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby restcoser » 26 Jun 2016 08:26

If you want visible ambient, but you want a spooky-type atmosphere as well, making the ambient somewhat purple might help. (I'm really no fan of grey ambient)

Edit: some more thoughts...

The layout seems fine, I myself only know the basics tho.
I'm no fan of the long corridors, they can be shrunk safely in some parts of this map (by moving whole sections of the map a bit.
I think you really need more detailing, but thats usually a step for when it is sure that other problems are solved. Especially the ceilings get real problems with tiling when the ambient is higher.Also more lighting options rather than just torches might help, such as more openings in the ceiling.

The dark "look" is mostly fog actually, i would maybe have the same fogcolour as ambient. While experimenting, blu-ish and low purple ambients worked the best, even though they might look somewhat odd.

Sometimes, parcour seems too... ineffective to traverse this map, probably because the rooms are this gigantic, not sure if this needs to be fixed though. (Some pushers might help? Maybe a teleporter? not sure)
The map needs classic-weaponspawns.

(Random:I like how the map is broken up in very big cubes, that should make changing layouts and such quite easy, good mapping practice)
Overall, good first effort :) There might be more stuff, but my brain is empty for now.
restcoser

Postby GeneralKarnage » 29 Jun 2016 00:55

GeneralKarnage

Postby bonifarz » 30 Jun 2016 07:11

I wish I could answer this question... oh, wait... it's happening right now! :D
Master was just merged into stable, so the update is already out, and the installer packages will probably be ready soon.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby GeneralKarnage » 11 Aug 2016 00:16

Just updated the map. It now has classic mode weapon spawns and bases for capture-the-flag and bomber-ball. There are also some other assorted changes.
GeneralKarnage

Postby qreeves » 18 Oct 2016 05:04

Just quickly reviewed the aesthetic, still needs to be a bit brighter. Try working on your map with the temporary variable: /lightmapintensity 0.5
Quinton Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse
|
Contribute to Project Costs via or
qreeves
Site Admin

Return to Maps and Mods