[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Red Eclipse • View topic - [MAP] Dark Chess Dimension 1.0

[MAP] Dark Chess Dimension 1.0

User created maps and modifications, showcase your latest map, model, etc
Forum rules
The forum is now in read only mode, please see: https://redeclipse.net/discuss

[MAP] Dark Chess Dimension 1.0

Postby Atypikk » 30 May 2016 17:16

It's my first map for Red Eclipse ! :P First version made in 4 days.
This map was inspired by the gothic outsider art and the Game Dark Souls.
It's an abstract experimental style map but fully fonctional except for race.
Two teams battle it out in a weird floating dimension called the Dark Chess Dimension.
Each team have their own little castle. A bridge overlooks the entire center of the map.
Watch out don't fall.
Lot of custom textures made/modified by me or CC BY 4.0 and models.

Atypikk - idea, execution.
DennisH2010 - Evil Eye.

CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported.

Please keep me informed with fixes/ideas/questions/comments. :)

Video demonstration :

screenshot1.jpg

screenshot2.jpg

screenshot3.jpg

screenshot4.jpg

20160531131502.png

Enjoy !
Last edited by Atypikk on 31 May 2016 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
Atypikk

Re: [MAP] Dark Chess Dimension 1.0

Postby shirepirate » 30 May 2016 20:15

wow, custom textures and models too? not bad for a first map. it's always nice to see creators doing what they want with customization. looks very fun, would like to try instagib on it
shirepirate

Postby qreeves » 31 May 2016 03:25

You might be able to get those checker-board hills to look a bit better using the heightmap tool. For a first map, I'd say it is a very promising start to mapping/modding in RE.
Quinton Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse
|
Contribute to Project Costs via or
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby bonifarz » 31 May 2016 10:12

That's a lot of custom content. That eyeball monster is funny, did you create it yourself? You should show it in a screenshot :)

When I tried to open the map with the development version, it crashed, no clue why. But it works fine in stable. Your custom mapmodels are defined several times in the config, but that's just a detail and easy to fix. And hey, you made such a nice throne model. I don't have much to say about the map, as it is your sandbox, and I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with more mapping experiments.

Random tip: You can discard unused textures with /texturecull, and if you want to get the default textures again, you can do /texturerehash.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby restcoser » 31 May 2016 10:21

I've looked at the map, and i recall seing a throne...

My opinion: The models and textures are quite good, the map... not so much, but it's a very nice theme.
The layout is just incredibly long-range favouring, (and quite simple) and it all feels underdetailed in terms of geometry. (So I'm not so sure if its that good gameplay-wise)
I would recommend starting with smaller maps, to be honest.
I think this is a great first effort though c:
restcoser

Postby Atypikk » 31 May 2016 11:01

thanks for your advices :)
Yes it is custom textures and models. the both thrones are present in the map, in each little castle. How can i delete custom mapmodel defined serveral times ?
Because i've deleted the duplicated model lines in the config file but it seems to erase some models on my map.
I have discarded the unused textures, thanks for the tip ! I've used the heightmap tool but i didn't know there are several brushes XD. I made mountains just with the default brush, that's why it seems not to be optimized to the maximum.
For my next map i will make a smaller and more detailed map i promise ;) . I love to create outdoor maps, that's why i wanted to see the multiple possibilities and the strenght of the map editor. And...you can really do what you want really easily and quickly, it's so great !

The eye are not made by me but by DennisH2010, i quote his name on credits ;)
20160531131502.png
Atypikk

Postby bonifarz » 31 May 2016 11:19

Oh, looked at it again and there was no texture loading error, and the thrones were near the affinities this time. *shrug* I guess something went wrong when i moved around the package, sorry :D

Mapmodels are given id numbers based on the ordering in which they are listed in the map's cfg file. This id is the first attribute of the mapmodel entity. If you remove a duplicate line from darkchess.cfg, then all models on the map that use this id will be invisible, but you can still select them and fix their id (hold 1 and scroll, or use the ents menu). Or you could first make sure all of your custom mapmodels use the lowest id that gives you the right model, and then you can remove the extra lines from the bottom of your mapmodel list in the file.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby Alxa » 03 Jun 2016 22:21

Nice map. The art direction (is it called it like that?) is very different than all the other maps in the game.
Visit our clan webpage: >SOON<
Visit the Koos Youtube channel:
Alxa

Return to Maps and Mods