[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Red Eclipse • View topic - Gladiator maps

Gladiator maps

User created maps and modifications, showcase your latest map, model, etc
Forum rules
The forum is now in read only mode, please see: https://redeclipse.net/discuss

Gladiator maps

Postby bonifarz » 03 May 2016 13:27

Okay, we have talked about this on viewtopic.php?f=4&t=930 and on , but I'd like to open a new forum topic anyway for you guys to share your maps.
As you know, we have a release planned for next week-end. This brings the gladiator mutator for deathmatch games, inspired by the SUMO maps on the DOOM server. But we don't have nice maps for this yet!

As of now, I have tried my best to support the gladiator mutator on the maps purge and abuse, where only a part of each map is used for this game mode.

Feel free to share your own maps. They can be really, really simple, but I think they should look somewhat special.

And here's my entry for a simple new map. Let me know if I can push it.
Attachments
torus.png
torus-0.1.zip
(44.59 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
torus-snapshot.jpg
a random screenshot
| | | |
bonifarz

Re: Gladiator maps

Postby shirepirate » 03 May 2016 23:16

yeah, it lacks enough playerstarts (and ffa ones) but once you add those it seems like the sort of simple map most would enjoy playing that mode on (p.s. you don't really need to ask unless you just want the feedback =p)

it's worth noting that when using maps already in the rotation for gladiator they will have explosives by default unless basic is selected or unless they are changed to not spawn in this mutator.
shirepirate

Postby bonifarz » 04 May 2016 08:41

True, I first went with a minimum of entities, same on abuse and purge.
So, do you think multiple playerstarts per team are necessary for this? And should i add multi playerstarts, which will then also serve for ffa?
For consistency, I should either add explosives on purge and torus or disable the rocket in gsp1 on abuse. I guess the latter works better.
And hey, join the fun, what about making a simple map, too? ;)

EDIT: I've pushed the latest version and updated the maps module on the master branch. Hope that's okay.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby Unnamed » 04 May 2016 15:25

I made two maps:
The first one is a small ffa map, the second one is a bigger multi map with walls of death material (I don't know if it is a good idea though).

20160504171931.jpg
deviation.zip
(573.75 KiB) Downloaded 94 times

20160504171857.jpg
capacitance.zip
(966.37 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
Unnamed

Postby SniperGoth » 04 May 2016 20:36

Could this maybe fit on Gladiator?
I know i just started it, but i think it can be completed fast enough.
Attachments
20160504173109.png
20160504173101.png
Ex Iron fist level designer/ Ex Revelade Revolution level designer, 3d/2d artist, and still trying to figure out sound design...
SniperGoth

Postby qreeves » 05 May 2016 02:24

For gladiator, I guess it all comes down to how easy it gets to bash people so they fall off the edge. If there's geometry that a player can get "caught" on when being thrown off, that might peeve off the person who would've gotten a point was it not there (eg. pillars, exotic geometry, etc). That's just my opinion though.
Quinton Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse
|
Contribute to Project Costs via or
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby bonifarz » 05 May 2016 06:40

Right, I guess we should keep it really simple with this mode. I don't know if maps like dutility and deathtrap will work okay for gladiator. But I think purge will be fun :)

I remember capacitance... wow, is it really that long ago? http://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=4916
deviation: I was looking at the "tear in skybox bug" (https://github.com/red-eclipse/base/issues/316) and then got puzzled about the moon at the bottom face. Already thought it was some memory artifact, then i saw your envlayer. Cool idea to patch together snippets of skyboxes :)
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby SniperGoth » 05 May 2016 13:52

One map that might fit into the rotation is StarLibido, that one that was taken out from 1.5's release.
Maybe LongestYard too, if the giant pusher to the lone plattform is set to non-gladiator.
Castle, if the entrances are blocked out with mapmodels (gladiator-only).
Rooftop, also the same as above.
Ex Iron fist level designer/ Ex Revelade Revolution level designer, 3d/2d artist, and still trying to figure out sound design...
SniperGoth

Postby ZestyPasta » 05 May 2016 14:24

Looking nice, boni! I love the hexagon patterns and the overall shape of the dome. Would players be inside it or outside of it?
Commonly known as in game:

Zesty Pasta
ZestyPasta

Postby bonifarz » 05 May 2016 14:39

Just tested a few maps with zaquest and I conclude we had fun :)
Abuse worked better than expected, even though you can often save your ass with a wallrun. But it is rewarding to slam the enemy into the lava pit! Death trap also works pretty well, it seems easier to push someone into a laser trap than to get them off a large platform. For example, on eternal (the map snipergoth mentioned above), it was not all that easy to push each other into oblivion. I can imagine that the outdoors areas of castle and rooftop will be similar, but I am not sure. I think in general, gladiator maps work best if there is not much room to hide. Maybe my torus is already a bit too large. To answer pasta's question: You run on the surface of the torus ("donut"), and you can dive into the hole to grab a grenade or rocket.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby qreeves » 06 May 2016 02:25

Yeah, torus seems like it could be a little smaller.
|
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby bonifarz » 06 May 2016 08:32

Done. When I first scaled down torus (10 seconds of mapping work ;)) it felt really tiny. But I do agree this will help in gladiator games. Maybe I'll make another simple platform map in the spirit of "grid", but with less color headache.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby freezurbern » 06 May 2016 14:12

freezurbern

Postby bonifarz » 06 May 2016 15:29

Sounds like a fun concept! I can blend two colours with glow and pulseglow, or I could use a palette on the glow. But is it also possible to slow down the pulse on the "bomber" palette?
Errm, got that wrong, i thought i could use palette on glow. But pulsing colors will look much cooler. I'm on it XD

EDIT: Here you go. What do you think?
Attachments
disco.png
disco.zip
(4.61 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby SniperGoth » 06 May 2016 16:36

Just finished the map "Eternal".
It seems to work very well on Survival-gladiator, as i concluded, playing with Zaquest some days ago.
What does everyone think?
Attachments
20160506133358.png
20160506133350.png
eternal.zip
(624.26 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
SniperGoth

Postby bonifarz » 06 May 2016 17:55

I think we should include eternal, do you want to make a PR to the maps repo?

I realize the screenshot of disco looks really, really cheap without the pulse colors. Anyway, I'll experiment with it later today and will then push the result, because I think that's one of the really trivial shapes we need for gladiator :roll:
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby qreeves » 07 May 2016 02:21

I think disco should be roundish, not just a flat square; boxy stuff we try to avoid A LOT due to the nature of the engine. I think most gladiator maps could work for duel as well.
|
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby restcoser » 07 May 2016 05:49

disco looks a bit too boring imho, even tho the static screenshot is probably not giving it justice... maybe leave out some squares to spice it up or something, and give it a normal boundary maybe, and maybe a lighting system and a disco ball c:
restcoser

Postby bonifarz » 07 May 2016 07:18

Yep, the version i pushed yesterday has a disco (bomber) ball :lol:
There's no lighting system so far, only pulseglow that changes colors all the time at different rates.
I'll have another look at it today, maybe i can come up with some more interesting decorative geometry.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby blakthunder » 07 May 2016 07:24

blakthunder

Postby bonifarz » 07 May 2016 09:30

That's pretty close to the last section of purge I have prepared for gladiator.
Gladiator just raises pushback on the claw (and explosives), but disables all other weapons. I guess it works best with survivor and basic.

EDIT: Updated disco. Screenshots still look terrible, but in motion, it gets funkier :roll:
Attachments
disco.png
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby SniperGoth » 07 May 2016 15:34

Maybe the disco-ball model that i made last year could be used to complement it?
Attachments
20160507122940.png
disco-ball.zip
(2.01 MiB) Downloaded 85 times
SniperGoth

Postby bonifarz » 07 May 2016 16:22

That would be awesome! :D
Mhm, pushing the model seems a bit tricky, as there's no "snipergoth" submodule yet ;)

Oh, and what am i missing... i extracted the discoball and loaded it via /mmodel, but I don't get a visible model.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby SniperGoth » 07 May 2016 16:57

SniperGoth

Postby bonifarz » 07 May 2016 17:58

Yes, that's clear. The path in the home dir should not matter, right? I do get the discoball on the mapmodel list, however the guimodelpreview looks empty, and so does the entity placed on the map. That's strange. The obj.cfg looks all right (yay, it has spin on it!). Does it work for you in RE? I guess it does, since you provided a screenshot.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby SniperGoth » 07 May 2016 21:01

Yeah, it should work with no problem. But for some reason, it seems that it currently works if you put it on Red Eclipse/data/models (mmodel models/sgmodel/misc/disco-ball).
SniperGoth

Postby bonifarz » 07 May 2016 21:29

Damnit, it was just a typo on the path, my bad. Thanks for helping me clear this up, snipergoth. So, in motion the model looks even better than on the screenshot. If we include disco, a proper disco ball would be really nice to have!
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby SniperGoth » 07 May 2016 23:50

Updated the disco-ball's normal map.
Attachments
disco-ball.zip
zip with updated normal.
(1.49 MiB) Downloaded 91 times
20160507204820.png
SniperGoth

Postby bonifarz » 08 May 2016 06:47

And here's a current map version that can be used with snipergoth's mapmodel.
I think it works best to noclip the mapmodel and place it on a 4-sphere to get credible collision.
EDIT: Small update. Fixed particles inside geometry and added some pulse. Also, new preview.
Attachments
disco-0.3.1.zip
(9.88 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
disco.png
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby shirepirate » 11 May 2016 23:56

i've made the submodule so that model can be added. feel free to make pull requests to it for now if you have more to add, snipergoth.
shirepirate

Postby qreeves » 12 May 2016 01:57

The model has over 500 vertices, it isn't suitable for inclusion as-is. A whole repository for one model is a bad idea as well, it adds at least 5-10 seconds to the update process.
|
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby shirepirate » 12 May 2016 02:49

in that case you should indicate to sgoth what the target vertices we're looking for is, though that's subjective to each system really. honestly it's fine, it will probably never be used in another official map anyway and it's half of what a lot of the nobiax models had. we don't support potato computers anymore anyway. sgoth does have some more contributions to make that i'm aware of, if you see a problem with that perhaps make yourself more clear.
shirepirate

Postby bonifarz » 12 May 2016 08:24

It is me who asked shirepirate how to proceed with this, because I did not know how to finalize disco.
I really did not mean to cause disorder shortly before a release, I just liked the model for that particular map. Let me know what you think will work best for now.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby freezurbern » 12 May 2016 12:15

freezurbern

Postby bonifarz » 12 May 2016 12:46

I don't see any moon mapmodel, but the thing I have previously used is the bomber ball model. Since there's now spin attributes for mapmodels, that would not be that bad. The high quality model just looks much prettier, even if you lower the size.
balla-balla.jpg
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby SniperGoth » 12 May 2016 13:52

Hmn, i suppose the time has come for me to upload all my best textures and models onto the forums. (Topic derail, sorry!).
There are some models and textures here that i believe would be useful.
Also, since you spoke of it, is there a limit to a maximum vertices a model can have for inclusion?

EDIT: i tried to lower the disco's vert count to about half, but it destroyed the texturing.
Attachments
20160512105012.png
half.png
SniperGoth

Postby bonifarz » 12 May 2016 15:31

| | | |
bonifarz

Postby Dziq » 12 May 2016 19:10

Agree, ~500 polys on mapmodel, which is not suitable to place it all over the map should be ok. In other words: That disco ball is not supposed to be placed in every room on a given map.. even on my ancient PC a 500 poly map model is like nothing :)
Dziq

Postby qreeves » 13 May 2016 02:40

Well 500 vertices is a bit high for such a simple model (it's a sphere which could be normal-mapped more), you can't just assume it won't be used in other ways in the future (what would be the point of including something for just one map?). It's not that I'm trying to tune for potato computers, but more future-proofing content before it gets into the repositories (there's more than just map models being rendered by the engine). I culled most of the nobiax set for this same reason, too many vertices for something that could just be a simple mesh with proper normal-mapping and/or alpha. I think you could maybe at least get it down to 200-300 if you start out aiming for that (rather than trying to fix what you have and having it break).

freezurbern: The moon mapmodel you're thinking of is in Sauerbraten, it was created by makke and was not suitable for inclusion due to licensing problems.
|
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby bonifarz » 13 May 2016 07:16

That sounds reasonable. Maybe snipergoth can save quite a few tris in the two pole regions of the ball? In case we cannot resolve this in time, i have pushed a version that simply uses the bomber ball. Also added eternal, we can still update these maps any time later.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby SniperGoth » 13 May 2016 14:07

You were right, Qreeves. It had too much vertices for it's purpose, haha.
So i remade the entire model now, and has ~120 vertices and still looks good.
Attachments
disco-ball.zip
(816.43 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
20160513110406.png
SniperGoth

Postby bonifarz » 13 May 2016 15:30

Agreed, it looks all-right with fewer segments. As discussed earlier on IRC, I can push the files for you, snipergoth.
Using this in the map i pushed earlier is just a matter of adjusting the id and scale of the mapmodel entity.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby SniperGoth » 02 Aug 2016 00:27

Just a quick update to the thread, but im currently improving my gladiator map, "Eternal". Wasn't too much of a fan of the original design, so i decided to go Bigger and Better.
Layout is the same (at least for now), but you die if you touch the "eletric walls" and the soon to be implemented "eletric ceilling".
That way it will work better, i hope, for Gladiator.
Still not 100% decided on the new theme, but we will see in the next few days...
Attachments
20160801212254.png
20160801212157.png
20160801212213.png
SniperGoth

Postby qreeves » 02 Aug 2016 01:15

Brown/grey are boring and dull, I'm trying to steer the project away from that kind of colour theme because it makes us look old and unpolished.
|
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby SniperGoth » 02 Aug 2016 02:14

I guess i'll stick with my Blade Runner inspired themes of lately then. Blue shades everywhere, with ocasional White and yellow colours.
SniperGoth

Postby bonifarz » 02 Aug 2016 07:25

I think it looks nice, snipergoth.

There's also a new gladiator map by voz, discs. He was planning to put it here on the forums.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby FaTony » 02 Aug 2016 14:01

Here's one I've started almost immediately after 1.5.5 release. I'm stuck on design though. I plan to use photos of Manhattan as reference.
Attachments
flood.zip
(819.25 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
20160802165827.png
FaTony

Postby SniperGoth » 02 Aug 2016 15:55

SniperGoth

Postby SniperGoth » 02 Aug 2016 22:27

DOUBLE POST INCOMING.

So, i started experimenting with ivy models on the map... (i really should make eternal have it's own thread.)
Looks okay-ish, i guess?
Not intended for the final design, it's just a little test i had in mind, for future maps.
Attachments
20160802190037.png
SniperGoth

Postby qreeves » 03 Aug 2016 03:42

Haha, nice to see cool new stuff coming out of a random idea.
|
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby GeneralKarnage » 04 Aug 2016 19:49

Looks cool, SniperGoth. I can't wait to see the finished product!
GeneralKarnage

Postby SniperGoth » 04 Aug 2016 21:40

Attachments
20160804182846.png
Inside the dome.
20160804182952.png
Outside of the Gladiator dome.
20160804183810.png
"Watchers"
SniperGoth

Postby GeneralKarnage » 05 Aug 2016 01:39

I like how it is set inside of a cave. There aren't very many maps like that (at least, not that I've seen). I also like your idea of having player models function as a crowd of spectators. If you had a cheering/sports crowd sound effect and put it on a loop, that would be pretty neat.
GeneralKarnage

Postby SniperGoth » 16 Aug 2016 01:17

Oh, look... another gladiator map! "Blizzard"
Just started today, it's one idea that i had a long time ago, but never got to take it out of the "paper".
A simple arena that is placed on a floating piece of ice.
May expand it later, but for now, gladiator-only.
Attachments
20160815220717.png
20160815220727.png
SniperGoth

Postby FaTony » 16 Aug 2016 09:37

And it's hard to move on it, right?
FaTony

Postby bonifarz » 16 Aug 2016 11:43

| | | |
bonifarz

Postby GeneralKarnage » 16 Aug 2016 19:21

GeneralKarnage