[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Red Eclipse • View topic - [MAP] Hostile V:7.5 - 4/09

[MAP] Hostile V:7.5 - 4/09

User created maps and modifications, showcase your latest map, model, etc
Forum rules
The forum is now in read only mode, please see: https://redeclipse.net/discuss

[MAP] Hostile V:7.5 - 4/09

Postby Zero » 28 Jan 2016 20:05

Attachments
Hostile - Demo.zip
(3.43 MiB) Downloaded 93 times
Last edited by Zero on 09 Apr 2016 18:20, edited 89 times in total.
Zero

Re: [MAP] Hostile - Demo

Postby SniperGoth » 29 Jan 2016 00:34

I can already give you a tip on the Lightning side of the map.
Use the skylight with a light-ish blue tone, it looks great, as you can see on my example screenshots.
Attachments
20160128222653.png
20160128222735.png
Ex Iron fist level designer/ Ex Revelade Revolution level designer, 3d/2d artist, and still trying to figure out sound design...
SniperGoth

Postby Zero » 29 Jan 2016 03:28

That does look better. More of a moonlight tent. Thank you. Happen to know the rgb or the X000000 color? I have the newest version from github but it messed up in the saving area. I can't save anymore for some reason. I see the fog wasn't added back either. I only used fog to cover up some area's like makeup. I'm not experienced in blend mapping or height mapping. I'll delve into that tomorrow. Thank you for spending your time to check it out and reply. That does look better and any help is much appreciated. =)
Zero

Postby bonifarz » 29 Jan 2016 07:55

Hey, that looks pretty good, Zero
Reminds me of the discussion about rounded shapes for your previous map "descent" - I think we can see some nice progress here :)

Blendmap and heightmap: Yes, this could be useful for outdoors areas. Blendmaps to make the textures look more "organic", some heightmap tweaks could help for your waterfalls (you can use them on walls, too).

Problems with saving, maptitle, mapname etc: So you have a client each for the stable and master branch, with separate user content directories to save your maps, right? Per default, the home dir for the master branch (development version) goes to the place where you pulled (RE-install/home). For the stable (release) version, that stuff goes to . Sometimes loading a map saved with the other branch can give you minor incompatibilities, but you should always be able to save your map. Let us know if this resolves your problems.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby SniperGoth » 29 Jan 2016 11:57

Ex Iron fist level designer/ Ex Revelade Revolution level designer, 3d/2d artist, and still trying to figure out sound design...
SniperGoth

Postby zaquest » 29 Jan 2016 16:36

Nice map.
Too many explosive to my taste, it's going to turn into nade fest. I like how one can throw nades in the chimney on blue base though :D but it's probably won't be efficient :D I'm not sure if it's intended or just something that was not done yet, but there are some places where it looks like you can pass but you actually can't - I think it's a bit confusing.
zaquest

Postby Zero » 30 Jan 2016 08:07

Hey Bonifarz. Thanks. Yeah I'm starting to get the geometry better. My problem with height map is I make it too big or something and the geometry breaks, revealing the default no texture. Gotta be gentle with it I guess.
My problem with not being able to save in the development version is that I backed up the game on a external hard drive and reinstalled a O.S. just to move it back. I don't normally do that with software or games because of broken links whether in appdata folder etc. I don't have internet where I'm at so I couldn't re download it. So I installed the current version on the site from the setup file I have on the hard drive. Thanks for the help as always. =)

Thanks Snipergoth. I really like that tent/shade/color of skylight. Appreciate it.

Hey Zaquest. It does get pretty crazy. I can edit that. I thought so to. Got a little carried away adding weapons. I didn't intentionally make the chimney that way but for the fun of it. I did throw one down there myself to see if it worked. Probably should thicken the chimney to make it easier to throw'm yet not too big to come down like santa baring gifts.
If your talking about the fenced in area's in the mountains. To where it looks like you can jump over the fence. I just did those area's for looks yet keep the clip/noclip so the player can parkour around the curves. The original layout of the map was open. And I already made a few buildings. Then the frame rate was dropping so I got rid of the open map concept and ran out of room to put those structures. It just made sense to me to close those area's off. Even though I could open them up and add 2 more teams. In some first person shooters the maps look amazing and you wanna explore everywhere but even in those maps. They have the look but don't touch or go around the borders or even in the middle of maps. Like in barns when you wanna jump on top of a hay bale but you can't cuz they clip/no clipped it. I hope that's what you were talking about. I find that a bit annoying but I understand why they do it. That's when I decided I would make a similar style map and have more freedom of movement yet I wind up doing the same anyways. lol
Zero

Postby zaquest » 30 Jan 2016 08:29

zaquest

Postby bonifarz » 30 Jan 2016 08:35

"Background" geometry that is not accessible to the player is just fine. We have that in many maps. But you should give some visual clue why there is a wall of clip. Often this is done with fences, glass/alpha or some other translucent obstacle.

Heightmaps that break up geometry: Think of it as moving points up and down (z) on a uniform grid (x and y). For the cube vertices, this means all x and y coords must be multiples of the grid size. The z coords (multiples of grid/8) must be the same on each grid point (no gaps or jumps). As you use the heightmap tool, this will be enforced by creating or deleting new cubes accordingly. Therefore, it is useful to select an area before using the heightmap tool, so it will only modify geometry in the selection.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby Zero » 31 Jan 2016 00:54

I'll make sure to fix that to prevent confusion Zaquest. Thanks for the tips Bonifarz. Make sense. I'll just have to make it look good without blocking any parkour paths. =) I'll try to release a update here soon. Just nice to know others opinions. I'm constantly seeing issues that need to be fixed.
Zero

Re: [MAP] Hostile V:2.5 - Demo

Postby Zero » 24 Feb 2016 09:00

Version 2.5 has been released. Whole new way of playing as far as new entry's/exits. Tons of other things. Check the version history for updates. I would upload more pics but running low on net usage. :)
Zero

Re: [MAP] Hostile V:2.5 - Demo

Postby Zero » 25 Feb 2016 04:53

Trying to get as many fixes as I can. Here's what I have so far coming in the 3.0 release.

V 3.0:
Arena General:
- Waterfall looks a little better.
- Updated Waypoints.
- Fixed borders of "Caution Falln Rock" Sign.
- Fixed Incomplete rock structures on second floor of mountain Behind the Waterfall.
- Fixed geometry and textures on portable generators.
- Noclipped power lines above roads.
- Fixed sidewalk under mountain tunnels.
- Added geometric doorways to Auto repair shop in front.

Alpha side of map:
- House now has a wrap around overhang.
- Deleted Shelving unit on wrap around patio.
- Got rid of geometry rock obstacles.
- Fixed broken geometry on truck.
- Deleted extended entry ways. Now can go around patio
without getting stuck.
- Attic now has lights and light structures.
- New lighting in house.

Omega side of map:
- Clipped top of antenna.
- Fixed yet more textures on the silo's Conveyor belt.
- Got rid of some geometry above silo.

More to come. Along with a few updated photo's.
Zero

Re: [MAP] Hostile V:3.0 - Demo

Postby shirepirate » 26 Feb 2016 05:32

haven't done a whole lot of blendmap recently so i don't know/remember the quirks of it, will probably be messing with it soon though. if i remember correctly creating a new blendmap in the same cubic area will erase the old one.

it's easy to relight the map, just use the entity selection menu to select all the lights (or just ones with specific parameters) and delete them, then recalculate. precision is the quality of shadows and how the lights hit textures i think, lowering it raises precision and will increase the size of the map file.

other players will see the models if they have them in their appropriate data directory (next site version everyone will have), so yeah, use whatever models you want. if you add any new ones that aren't currently in Red Eclipse players would have to obtain the files from you. culling textures or models from the config file will remove them from the edit menu for the applicable map as far as i know (you can always re-add them).
shirepirate

Postby zaquest » 26 Feb 2016 07:18

zaquest

Postby Zero » 26 Feb 2016 07:22

Oh OK, that probably explains why It left some blend mapping and deleted the ones I was currently working on. I have some blend mapping on the map now but I think I'll leave that as the last step considering I'll have a bunch to do. Right now working on play ability and layout.
I plan to relight the entire map and make more sensible use of lighting. The only map model I added after executing was luckystrike/lamp2. Glad to hear they'll see the appropriate map model. Thank you for your answers and quick response. :)
Zero

Postby Zero » 26 Feb 2016 07:27

Zero

Postby bonifarz » 26 Feb 2016 14:13

Will have another look at this later.
When I write a long version history for a map, I prefer to put it in a codebox, so the it does not look that lengthly ;)
| | | |
bonifarz

Re: [MAP] Hostile V:3.5 - Demo

Postby Zero » 27 Feb 2016 01:09

Roger that. On it. :)
Zero

Postby shirepirate » 03 Mar 2016 02:16

i've taken a look at this in the dev version, and i'd say you've done a good job. this is what i noticed:

strong points:
aesthetically good-looking, textures work together well, good use of texture properties and visual additives
nice lighting overall, ambient light may be a little dark considering the amount of places there are to hide
originality, none of it is boring to look at
creative placement of sound, light, lightfx, weapon & particle entities

weak points:
too much no-clip, substantially large geometry or geometry you would not expect to be no-clipped should never be no-clipped when it is too noticeable
too many small and unimportant areas
too much gloss & light specularity on some textures
some areas lack accessibility (all areas with weapon spawns should not require parkour to reach)
some areas presumably created naturally (like rock formations) seem too perfect and need more variety like bumps or corners
lacks a good flow overall

notes:

there are a lot of beautiful areas of the map, but for the primary focus of most game modes there are no reasons to go into those areas. the powerful pushers placed on the vehicles provide far too much access to the entire map. the multitude of windows in the buildings make it so there is no reason to enter anywhere other than right where the flags are. the scale of the buildings and structures don't cater to RE's parkour style very well, everything is too small scale and being able to hide with a flag inside of small ventilation in a building isn't conducive to good CTF playing style.

instead of placing random details here and there, players should be forced to move past them to reach the destination of the game mode (i.e. to reach the other team's spawn points in deathmatch, or to reach the other team's flag in CTF). it doesn't need to be a maze of detail and should keep some simplicity, but having split-second access from one base to another through pushers or a few slides will only lead to boring matches. the map may seem to spread across a large cubic area, but if you compare it to the flow of Depot, where action could really be happening anywhere, Hostile has just a couple chokehold points where all the action will be happening and that's it. nobody will venture to see the passageway showing the 3rd building as there is no reason to go over there in any mode.

i'd advise making the playing field substantially larger and move some elements to completely new areas so you encounter them in every game mode. make access-ways (for example, the holes in the ceiling where ladders are or building entrances or staircases) larger and make it necessary or profitable to traverse them from time to time to add variety to the map's gameplay. in a game like Red Eclipse where everything is based around parkour, traversing through complicated geometry is too frustrating for anything other than Race mode. this is why Canyon, Pumpstation, Rooftop & Fortitude are not played more. the flow of a map needs to be very linear and basic while not appearing to be, and while it's ok to have detours they should be very close to a main pathway from 1 base to another (i.e. Darkness's side passageways or Suspended's floating side passages). try to make everything in this map 2x scale, and give it a better flow for a team-based map.
shirepirate

Postby bonifarz » 03 Mar 2016 10:28

| | | |
bonifarz

Postby Zero » 05 Mar 2016 19:45

Zero

Re: [MAP] Hostile V:4.0 - Demo

Postby shirepirate » 05 Mar 2016 23:39

if you're going for an eye candy map and not so much playability then accurate scale like that can be important (take a look at some of temka's maps, he dabbled in this proportionate geometry a lot). but yeah, for a capture-the-flag match tight/small geometry like that only becomes annoying and in the way
shirepirate

Postby Zero » 06 Mar 2016 00:28

True. Not so much eye candy. Just first time making a parkour style map when all my others have been the opposite. The playability is all I've been shooting for in this map so I haven't been able to master height mapping or blend mapping cuz I'm new to these area's. I tried making other modes like defend, bomber ball more interesting by going to the area's normally you wouldn't unless being chased by a vengeful bot or player. Just last weekend I was able to load up with the servers and play with the community and talk with them online. Well you know because I was talking to you in the chat. ;) Get their reviews/comments/idea's/etc. I'm just trying to get everything together and have yet to start on the 4.5 release. In version 4.0 the jump pads on the vehicles have been removed and that's based off of 2 people showing their support in removing these for the same reason. And that's because that's the only tips I've had other then less grenades. I'm listening to everyone. So far good support.
Zero

Postby Zero » 07 Mar 2016 22:08

I can't seem to find the blank.png texture in the red eclipse texture gui. I see it's located in textures/blank.png. I'd place it myself but don't know the apply texture variable. Like Shirepirate mentioned. Id like to replace some gloss/light/shader textures and the blank is what I was originally wanting but didn't see it then. I see it being used in the map, "battlefield".
Zero

Postby shirepirate » 07 Mar 2016 22:42

i think all you really need to do is reduce the amount of gloss, right? the texture itself seems fine, but for a darker map the amount of light that bounces off some textures is kinda ridiculous.
shirepirate

Postby Zero » 07 Mar 2016 23:36

That'd be helpful also and I agree. But was also trying to use the "blank.png" this would replace 15 - 20% of textures. Happen to know where I can find or use this texture using a console variable. And also how to reduce the light bouncing off textures? Thanks Shirepirate. =)
Zero

Postby SniperGoth » 07 Mar 2016 23:38

SniperGoth

Postby Zero » 08 Mar 2016 02:12

Oh ok. Thanks again SniperGoth. I'll try that. =)

To get that blank.png I thought I would try to place the texture in the map config file, save and reload red eclipse. Hope that works.
Zero

Postby bonifarz » 08 Mar 2016 07:53

| | | |
bonifarz

Re: [MAP] Hostile V:4.5 - 3/10

Postby Zero » 11 Mar 2016 04:29

Thanks Bonifarz. Really helped. Never really played with specular till now. I toned down the textures on the barn and truck. It was pretty blinding. Can't wait to get the development version again. =)
Zero

Postby Dziq » 12 Mar 2016 17:12

Really this map looking awesome, even when it needs some tweaks to textures here and here. And development version is normally accesible to download, or use Boni's backported menuses, really usefull for mappers :).
Dziq

Postby Zero » 12 Mar 2016 21:35

Thanks Dziq! I'm going to raise the clipping and map ceiling higher so I can raise the ceiling on omega's base/mill in the next version. I found my first red eclipse map (after cube 1)I spent as much time as hostile. I'll show it to you here soon. I'll try to get the development version here in a week. The internet shortage. >.< Bonifarz does wonders on the menus for people who don't know the codes. For sure. Also sorry for being so short when you were showing me your map. The fam coming home after I was house/dog sitting kept coming up to me. Nephew begging to play on the pc. =)
Zero

Postby FaTony » 14 Mar 2016 13:53

Very good details but the map is a bit too dark and laggy.
FaTony

Postby Zero » 14 Mar 2016 23:26

Zero

Postby bonifarz » 15 Mar 2016 09:22

| | | |
bonifarz

Re: [MAP] Hostile V:5.5 - 3/16

Postby Zero » 17 Mar 2016 01:23

Np =) True Tho.

I went ahead and deleted 21 plant map models all cluttered in the center. Deleted some particles. Deleted water under central bridge. And more in version history. It upped my frames per second by 40/50. No longer bogs down while running in certain area's.

Frames per second in edit mode:
High: 200
Low: 160

Frames per second deathmatch 5 players/bots:
High: 200
Low: 145

Hope this helps everyone experiencing low fps.
Zero

Postby shirepirate » 17 Mar 2016 03:04

for your next update try to tone down the noclip by a lot. basically if it seems unnatural to be walking/moving/parkouring through it, it shouldn't be noclipped. other than that it is looking better, though instead of having to move past the interesting parts (like inside the buildings) to reach the flags it seems easier to simply bypass it all and go straight for the flag. i doubt this would be an issue if the buildings were larger. you may be sacrificing a little proportionate realism, but details need to be clearly visible during gameplay or there is no reason for them to be there.
shirepirate

Postby Zero » 17 Mar 2016 21:44

Thanks Shirepirate and I agree. If it's just me or what but I actually like doing that slide jump (Paz And Dziq taught me) up to the second floor windows to reach the flags instead of going around them depending on where I'm currently situated. Only times I go around is if I'm parkouring along the outer walls to do a boost jump off the wall and into a window or back deck to get the flag. Even though I have the team flag signs everywhere. I wasn't just trying to shoot for a ctf map. Right now it's just fun to play offline with bots with deathmatch - ffa, classic. I'm just now getting the hang of the possibilities with parkouring on this map. And actually how to use grenades. Originally I would just throw'm and run but now I see there's a strategy with time and distance which makes it even more fun. I've never played a actual community game with others. Just a edit/chat session. So I can imagine how intense the fighting would be even more so then a vengeful bot chasing you down because you done fragged'm 10 times without dying. Last night I fragged 20 times with 6 bots on highest skill max without dying and I was in the zone. I can see how this game can be fun and addicting. But anyways.
I will definitely take away the no clips on a lot of "structures" in the next update. I'm not sure or not but I believe the excessive clipping could also be affecting the frames per second. We'll find out when I remove a bunch.
I believe in the end I might scale things up a bit. But if I don't and you all don't hear from me for awhile then all means feel free and go ahead and make some changes. That's just encase something was to happen to me ;) Or I moved on. But doubtful cuz I played the heck out of cube 1 and once one map was done I'd move on to another. It's therapeutic to me. Like a kid with a coloring book. I don't normally make small scaled maps. This was just one I decided to do after playing a certain new shooter.
I'm no pro but I like the whole learning experience, possibilities, and having players who enjoy it as much as the time spent on one. I'm a fan of a few map makers here on red eclipse that I look up to but I won't say their names. =P
Zero

Re: [MAP] Hostile V:6.0 - 3/19

Postby Zero » 19 Mar 2016 23:06

Below are the following that in which the no clip has
been removed.

- Mountain walls.
- Fire Hydrant
- Power line poles.
- Mailbox.
- Decor under alpha patio.
- Tree's.
- Fire wood log.
- Banner poles.
- Part of the "no crossing" structures.
- Alpha furniture.
- kitchen table.

This will make the map new to many of players. With the new add-on structures. And removing no clip really makes you concentrate on where your heading. Parkour in open area's or do a timed right launch to land right where you want.
Zero

Postby Dziq » 21 Mar 2016 21:03

I dont need to download this map every version :) I want to YOU show me your map around :)
I hope we just meet online in near time :)
Dziq

Postby Zero » 22 Mar 2016 17:47

Zero

Re: [MAP] Hostile V:7.0 - 3/28

Postby Zero » 29 Mar 2016 05:01

This update was to improve frames per second. With the help of Unnamed and Bonifarz. I was able to implement water textures for the waterfall instead of water material. Hope this helped some people who were having low fps. The central bridge was cut off due to a lot of water being in the center of the map. For any last minute idea's to make the game play more fun let me know before I finalize the map.

Keep in mind while your on fire. The waterfall won't help you. lol >.< I hate this but you'll just have to dive into the lakes, under bridges or rely on secondary flamer.
Zero

Postby FaTony » 29 Mar 2016 09:06

Rename map to "hostile" . RE maps don't use capital letters.

Mapbalance should be 1.

The bases, especially Omega base, are too small, you can barely navigate in them. Windows are too small, they're difficult to get from the outside and you always overjump from inside. I suggest increasing total floor height to 64 and widening Omega 2nd floor paths. Or at least add ramps to windows so you can walk outside.
FaTony

Postby Zero » 29 Mar 2016 17:52

Zero

Re: [MAP] Hostile V:7.5 - 4/09

Postby Zero » 09 Apr 2016 05:48

Map Version 7.5 released. I've decided in the next release I'm going to get rid of the water and waterfall. Any idea's to fill in the blank is much appreciated. (Example: Bridge, fill in hole and have more room to play, etc.) This will boost the frames per second. I should have never added water material in the center and a lot of it. Thank you to those who have helped me try to fix this problem. :)

:
Basically a remake and a larger version of the map, "Hostile" in the making. Any idea's for this new project is welcome. I just started on 4/8/16. :)
Zero

Postby Zero » 09 Apr 2016 18:21

Forgot to redo the no clip on the bridge hole. Sorry about that. Should be fixed now.
Zero

Postby Dziq » 10 Apr 2016 13:37

Hi Zero, I looked at this map now and found many issues with it in 20 minutes, there is more probably but this need more time to play with :)
First lets talk about clipping materials, look at screens below and see, You used small grid for no-/clipping material volumes, while these materials always should be placed with biggest grid as possible. Also, better is to make one cubish material volume than a few smaller ones, like on 4th screen where flamer is visible, use 1 bigger cube for noclip here.

Material volumes with less surfaces are better for performance since there is much less to calculate for the engine side.
Take a look at pic below to see how I changed one volume (right one) to perform better. much less surfaces to calculate.

Another thingy, there is many many polygons on map which players can't see, lets look from above and we will see these:

this should be looking like that:

Also rocks can be optimisied too (much less polys to render and for calc lightmaps - lower RAM usage and FPS gain):

I don't know but maybe this will be helpfull for you. Look at that layout:

-player in one base can see other base, occlusion is based on that so now almost all of the second base is rendered
But layout like this working better:

-there is now way that player can see a second base, thus its not rendered from player position and perform better
Hope I helped a little
BTW nice and creative use of models (new assets included) you got here, like that tree hehe:

;p
Dziq

Postby Zero » 10 Apr 2016 18:53

Thanks Dziq for taking your time to check out the map. I'll make sure to fix the material clip and no clip. I didn't know cube2 calculated it as a extra surface.
As far as the geometry on top of map. I can definitely use that advice to bring down some triangles.
There's not a lot of shrubbery map models so I try to give it that appearance. :)
Zero

Return to Maps and Mods