[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Red Eclipse • View topic - [MAP] Descent - Version 2.5 + Bonus map

[MAP] Descent - Version 2.5 + Bonus map

User created maps and modifications, showcase your latest map, model, etc
Forum rules
The forum is now in read only mode, please see: https://redeclipse.net/discuss

[MAP] Descent - Version 2.5 + Bonus map

Postby Zero » 03 Jul 2015 05:23

License: CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported
Some parts of these maps were inspired by other red eclipse maps.

Descent
--------------------------

Version: 2.5 - Check down the page for version 3.0.
Game Modes: DM, CTF, BB, D&C
Teams: 2-4
Base Entrances/Exits: 2
Lockable Entrances: 2
Deathtraps: 1
Team Sniping points: 4
Team Flags/Affinities: 2

Only two teams as of now have ships to gather weapons at spawned locations.
- Alpha (Blue)
- Omega (Red)

The rest of the teams start off in arena
This will be added once I'm satisfied with ship design.

Version Summary:
This map just keeps getting better with each update. With
two more teams added. Playing with mutator "multi" makes
this map even more action packed. Adding more structures,
doors, and textures makes this maps gaming experience more
realistic. With 4 more jump pads it's much easier to access
and maneuver all throughout the arena. This map was designed
with a open world like environment with obstacles to take cover
or go all out offensive. Online tested and approved. Please keep
me informed with fixes/ideas/questions/comments.

Version History:

V 2.5:
- Lowered the ships to improve frame rate.
- Added a bunch of textures.
- Rounded off a bunch of diagonals.
- More Structures
- Sound Replacement
- Maybe Ships For Other Teams. (Yellow - Kappa & Green -Sigma) - This will be added once I'm satisfied with ship design.
- Cryogenic sleep pod like safety spawn starts.
- Two medic helicopters.
- Solar panel structures.
- More places to go downstairs.
- Replaced sounds with other sounds.
- Added debatable sniping points. I can get rid of these if it's too cluttered.
- Added central area to defend or grab rocket launcher with effects.
- Replaced two rocket launchers with grenades.
- Shrank texture sizes of boxes and crates to be more life like.
- Garage like doors inspired by map "Depot"
- Ventilation shafts for more ways to escape lower ground levels.
- All around new textures added along with few other structures.
- Added textures and colors for multi use.
- Added more lights to new structures.
- Shrank size of shelve units.
- Added Support beams to arena.
- Deleted hidden objects not known to exist.
- Deleted/added more map models.
- And more. Have idea's? Let me know.

V 2.0:
- Added two more teams for four player "Multi".
- Added "Red Eclipse" Advertising.
- Added team logos. (Mapmodels)
- Added more Detail/Textures/Structures.
- Removed/Added lights.
- Added 4 more jump pads.
- Replaced team ship doors.
- Added doors to downstair area's.
- Added doors to descent entry.
- Added sounds to jump pads and doors.
- Replaced weapons with other weapons.
- Clipped necessary area's.
- Removed player statues.

For later version history check the text file in download.

Download: - This map is constantly being updated. Check back for latest updates.
Descent & Collision.zip
(3.92 MiB) Downloaded 559 times
Last edited by Zero on 26 Sep 2015 02:48, edited 80 times in total.
Zero

Re: Demo Map Pack

Postby bonifarz » 03 Jul 2015 06:36

I did not have a look in the editor yet, but here are some suggestions anyway.
In the map's txt files, we recommend you specify a license, for example cc-by-sa-4.0. I know these maps are not finished yet, but a license line is always useful.
The config files look huge (>230kB on ~60k lines). Did you use the command texturecull before saving your map?
The previews are pretty large, too, with a strange resolution (1824 x 1026). EDIT: That was nonsense. I meant jpg, which works offline, but is NOT sent via sendmap/getmap. So: Always use <mapname>.png. (And thanks for correcting me.)
I bet you will come up with different names for your maps, as bases sounds generic, and two other names are (almost) identical to official maps (http://redeclipse.net/wiki/Official_Maps).
Last point: I do understand what you mean with "do not play online", but it seems bit strange to tell people how to play a map. If it is clearly unfinished, people will only play it with the intention to test the map and report back things you can improve. Does it matter if they do so offline or online (unlikely anyway)? ;)
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby Zero » 03 Jul 2015 07:51

Yeah you're right.
The images are down to 512 x 512.
Those are names I just thought of as I was saving. I have intentions on changing them. Just haven't really gave it thought just yet.
I'll have to look up a license on whats best I guess. I see examples in other files. Yeah I definitely want feedback and if anything needs adjusting.
Appreciate the help. I also shrunk the cfg's with the command lines. Guess it'd be a good idea to put a license and figure out the names first.
I'll take down the download link till I get that taken care of later today. It's 4a.m. here. I'll place the link back up if this thread isn't deleted or closed already.
Zero

Postby Zero » 07 Jul 2015 05:38

Map names have been changed. License are placed in each .txt files in map folders. The maps will be fully clipped and finished Later tonight. I'll add a updated preview image as well. Is there a easier way to clip at a angle? Instead of.

A.) Creating a huge clipped block. Then changing grid to a smaller scale, highlighting area to change to air.

B.) With a smallest scale grid, highlight and clip with the up and over. Thus not making it smooth.

I've seen some maps with glass at a angle that was smooth.
Zero

Postby shirepirate » 07 Jul 2015 06:19

not exactly sure what you're asking. materials can only be placed in rectangular shapes at this time, not diagonally. there's a /glass command to create glass material (basically the same as alpha material, maybe it has a special texture, can't remember).
shirepirate

Postby bonifarz » 07 Jul 2015 09:41

| | | |
bonifarz

Postby Unnamed » 07 Jul 2015 18:41

Unnamed

Postby Zero » 08 Jul 2015 00:40

Oh OK, True. Appreciate the help and quick responses. =)
Zero

Postby Zero » 13 Jul 2015 07:46

Two maps available for download. I'm always updating but these are the latest releases. Please let me know of any input on ideas or fixes.
Zero

Re: [MAP] Descent - Version 2.0 + Bonus map

Postby Zero » 01 Sep 2015 02:19

Version 2.0 has been released. Let me know what you think.
How might I edit waypoints now with this new menu?
Zero

Postby bonifarz » 01 Sep 2015 07:05

Waypoint utilities are in the second tab of the mapinfo menu (shortcut E, R).
You can drop and remove, load and save waypoints, but you cannot edit them like entities.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby Zero » 01 Sep 2015 07:14

Thank you Sir. Just couldn't find that option. I love the new editing menu and options. Keep up the good work.
Zero

Postby qreeves » 01 Sep 2015 07:52

There's a lot of open space in this map, which generally doesn't work too well for RE's arena style. The area with the crates and transport containers looks a little cubic and bland too. There are some places where a different texture would probably be good (one example is in your screenshot with the "alpha" ship).
Quinton Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse
|
Contribute to Project Costs via or
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby Zero » 01 Sep 2015 08:46

I agree. I kinda wanted more space yet tried to make it work and enjoyable for all around modes. This map reminds me of a paintball scenario. I was just creating something that I could relate to
without so much as limited structures or walls. I've had nothing but good feed back on this map. The Frames per second drops and I see where that could be a problem. Thank you for taking your time to review this map.
Zero

Postby Dziq » 01 Sep 2015 17:11

Hi Zero :) Long time no see, hope Descent map is better than before (my personal rating 8/10). It has open area, but you can't view everything because obstacles are placed in very good layout. I remember there are also nice snipe spots too ;p
Definitelly good map with clean design
Dziq

Postby Zero » 01 Sep 2015 20:21

Hey Dziq. Yeah, Internet's been down. I keep trying to improve Descent with overall game play and without having useless space. Thank you for your commentary and input. =)
Zero

Postby bonifarz » 01 Sep 2015 20:24

I realize you are still using many 45° angles - especially the dropships look blocky. I know it is damn difficult to create convincing vehicle geometry, but I really think you should try to make the shapes look a bit rounder. The drop ship on steel rat is maybe not the best example, but the tank on viewtopic.php?f=5&t=595 (shadow moses) gives you a good idea what is possible with clever use of geometry and texturing.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby Zero » 03 Sep 2015 02:34

Already on it with redesigning/texturing the ships. And less 45° angles. I'll edit a bunch more to release v2.5. Thanks for the help and inspiration. =)
New ships so far. Each gun comes with lazer pointer. See this in the 2.5 release. Any idea's during this time can help. I'm fully aware the front lights makes it look like a buick.

What to expect in Version 2.5:
- Redesigned Ships
- More Textures
- More Structures
- Less 45 Degree Angles
- Sound Replacement
- Maybe Ships For Other Teams. (Yellow - Kappa & Green -Sigma)
- Cryogenic sleep pod like safety spawn starts.
- Two medic helicopters.
- Solar panel structures.
- More places to go downstairs.
- And more. (Have idea's? Let me know.)
Last edited by Zero on 12 Sep 2015 04:16, edited 4 times in total.
Zero

Postby bonifarz » 08 Sep 2015 10:06

Did not see your preview earlier. The ships look nicer, but still blocky on the screenshots.
What I mean with 45° angles: For a vehicle or some other map elements, you probably want a curved design. And diagonal steps are the second worst approximation, right after cubes only ;)
For example, if you look at the platforms on the race map neodrive, you see the geometry is fairly simple and low on detail, but perfectly fine to make the shapes look nicely curved and smooth.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby Zero » 09 Sep 2015 18:35

Thanks, I tried to make them more rounded the best I knew how. =) If you were to compare the ships you'd see that the old ships looked just like a long rectangle with four shapes coming out of it. I'm struggling to learn how to make the shapes more rounded like neodrive. I'll practice on some flat surfaces. I also see maps with nice slants that gradually incline.
Zero

Re: [MAP] Descent - Version 2.5 + Bonus map

Postby Zero » 25 Sep 2015 03:01

Version 2.5 is up. Let me know what you think and what can be added or taken away.
Zero

Postby bonifarz » 25 Sep 2015 09:23

I like the improvements so far.
So, there's two affinities for each team - I guess you will want to make them mode-specific :)
The corridors are very narrow with those low ceilings.
Some corners are maybe a bit dark.
Vehicles are still a quite blocky, although there's a lot of detail in the map. I'm sure you'll have fun with further geometry experiments ;)
The geometry got a bit broken here.
descent.snap.jpg
Did you move these things by a step smaller than their cube size?
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby Zero » 26 Sep 2015 02:38

Thank you. I added more affinities to make it more action packed. Just optional at the moment. I don't feel the sniping points either. I hardly use them in game play but then again I'm no sniper or camper. I know I need to clip some area's I added to. The ceilings were even smaller then what I started off with but I can make them larger. The ships are still in play and why I haven't added two more team ships. (Kappa and Sigma). Once I'm satisfied with the ships I'll duplicate them with spawn points. I currently don't know what happened with the crane's. (With your screen capture.) I was first experimenting at the time with making things diagonal at a different axis which was a big step for me then basic north, south, east and west. And that was the best I could come up with at the time with a incline/decline yet have southwest like coordinates. I know those maybe background props but still need to be perfected like the entire map. I'll go back on those and try to fix them. Thank you for spending your time to review the map. =)
Zero

Postby bonifarz » 26 Sep 2015 09:03

Always glad to help. I'm not a skilled mapper, though, so my feedback is rather basic.
One thing you can keep in mind is to design your level geometry such that the map plays smoothly on weaker machines. If there's a lot of open space, it is useful to think of occlusion, i.e. sections that do not need to be rendered if they are not visible. Another thing is aligning things such that they can be represented nicely with octree data. E.g. if you remip (F4) and you see a lot of very small cubes on a shape that is just a flat block, then maybe a small shift or cull can lead to a much nicer outline. Similar thing for curved surfaces. If the angles are well chosen, you don't need very small cubes to get a nice shape. Well, more experienced mappers can explain this better for sure, but you know where to find good examples :)
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby Zero » 29 Sep 2015 00:28

True. I did not know what you meant at first about 45 degree angles. Every bit of information helps. Much appreciated. =)
Zero

Return to Maps and Mods