[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Red Eclipse • View topic - Fixing 'Decay'

Fixing 'Decay'

User created maps and modifications, showcase your latest map, model, etc
Forum rules
The forum is now in read only mode, please see: https://redeclipse.net/discuss

Fixing 'Decay'

Postby unixfreak » 15 Jun 2015 23:24

Lots of people say Decay is too big. I had a look at some areas which don't seem to get alot of gameplay.
So far i removed the "tower" area with the pipes/ladder in the far corner, and blocked off the long ramp/chute leading to it. Also removed part of the lower area with the rifle spawn.

I have still yet to texture/remove stray entities, but wondering if any other areas can be improved / removed or re-routed. The areas i removed barely had any gameplay action from what i noticed, they were pretty much dead areas.

Old:

Current:

Old:

Current:
unixfreak

Re: Fixing 'Decay'

Postby restcoser » 16 Jun 2015 14:48

looks like a good idea, i know the map isnt technically big but it sure can be a maze and hard to find your opponent in smaller matches. (different example: octavius, big map, but not a maze at all, not too hard to find opponents)
restcoser

Postby bonifarz » 17 Jun 2015 08:46

I really like the design and maze-aspect of Decay. With those cool new door mapmodels by Unnamed, maybe some passages or sections can be made mode/mutator specific? E.g. I guess with the freestyle mutator, it does not matter much to have many corridors to explore.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby Jfault » 17 Jun 2015 14:56

Wait err, so you just made a shit ton of dead ends? The Pipe area was great for getting to floor 3 from floor 1

EDIT: However, I would like to see the doors removed at alternate middle on the second floor. It's too easy to throw a mine on those doors and guarantee a kill on anyone walking through.

Oh yeah, clean up the dead ends in the basement too.
Keep calm and eat fruit.

MFW I've been a Ghost for 2 years D:
Jfault

Postby freezurbern » 17 Jun 2015 15:18

freezurbern

Postby Jfault » 17 Jun 2015 16:25

Keep calm and eat fruit.

Jfault

Postby Jfault » 17 Jun 2015 16:26

The problem is, unlike floor mines, these mines are completely unavoidable unless you shoot them, With mines on the floor, you can just jump over them.

EDIT: I think they are fine, if we can somehow fix the mine problem. Until then...
Keep calm and eat fruit.

Jfault

Postby unixfreak » 18 Jun 2015 02:14

unixfreak

Postby shirepirate » 18 Jun 2015 02:18

shirepirate

Postby unixfreak » 29 Jun 2015 00:44

Well here's the changes i've been working on (had a bit of help from acerspyro).

* removed the tall pipe area.
* added some hanging lights to the large room (and some wall detail)
* mixed up some textures in the large room
* added a small access vent connecting the 'long' area with the upper area
* middle ramp is steeper, underground area extended
* console room underground is now a teleport to the 'long' corridor (2 way)
* some other small geom/tex/bug fix

Entity placement hasn't been checked yet, and some weapons may have to be moved about, also the teleport is just a palceholder for now, will try make another portal thing to fit that area. Waypoints are also borked, as they need to be redone.

Just posting it here now to see if anyone agrees with the changes. I feel it flows better with that far corner (tall pipe room) taken out. As there is no need for the long ramp corridors at the back anymore.

Some screenshots of the areas below, although easier to see what's changed if you just load the map. :)
https://imgur.com/a/o7BTx
Attachments
decay2.zip
(1.24 MiB) Downloaded 260 times
unixfreak

Postby shirepirate » 29 Jun 2015 04:14

looking good so far
shirepirate

Postby shirepirate » 15 Jul 2015 21:50

any progress on this?
shirepirate

Postby unixfreak » 16 Jul 2015 20:56

Attachments
decay2.zip
(1.4 MiB) Downloaded 259 times
unixfreak

Postby unixfreak » 10 Jan 2016 09:01

Sorry it's been a while since i last posted anything about updating this map, just dug it out this morning and finished it up.

* moved the bottom chamber/room closer to the staircase
* added some small details to the hanging lights
* checked weapon/actor/affinity/spawns
* added waypoints
* added a sniper nest in the wall near the fan room
* fixed some lighting/shadow errors
* textured missing areas
* removed water from teleport room
* removed sparkly circle particles from teleport entrances (they looked odd at a distance)
* removed most of the 'dusty' particles, which weren't working properly due to default maxparticles values
* changed texture in the "hidden" vent passage
* some other things i've forgotten about

https://imgur.com/a/bVW8Q

Should be good to go, but i'll post it here now so if anyone wants to playtest it and finds any more issues etc.

This map is still focused on these modes;
* deathmatch
* bomber ball hold (spawns randomly across the map)

The reason it doesn't have normal bomber ball mode is because there are no team base locations (if you load bomberball mode, it will automatically change to bomberball-hold)
Attachments
decay2.zip
(1.99 MiB) Downloaded 211 times
unixfreak

Return to Maps and Mods