[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Red Eclipse • View topic - Race Remakes for Standard Maps

Race Remakes for Standard Maps

User created maps and modifications, showcase your latest map, model, etc
Forum rules
The forum is now in read only mode, please see: https://redeclipse.net/discuss

Race Remakes for Standard Maps

Postby Goku » 27 Mar 2015 04:22

I have started a project to recreate some of the stock maps as race versions. First, I wanted to verify here if I need the authors permission to make these public. I have bloodlust made as the concept map and a few others in the works.

EDIT: 0.1 Versions uploaded, don't expect perfection but they should be playable to see if the idea works, texturing and geometry is not finished.

EDIT: Deathtrap is finished for the most part, may be a few misplaced textures or lights.

Enyo, Deathtrap, Bloodlust Video: http://youtu.be/qlu59I67tNQ

Rooftop Video: http://youtu.be/sHqYd8Qb9Cw

All credit goes to the original map makers.

--
*Back of my mind idea.. Just realized as well that these could make halfway decent campaign maps. All I would need is the ability to close doors behind players, and open doors once enemies are eliminated. Really I am not even sure if RE has enemies/monsters anymore. But the maps have a linear path, plenty of open areas, and a few easy/slightly challenging parkour spots. I can imagine a timer working well with the idea as well. Score could be linked to time completed, must eliminate all enemies before the next "door" opens. Some maps can be slightly more parkour focused, others enemy elimination focused, and both would work with the timer based score. Some maps that are impossible to zone into a linear map could be a "UT campaign style" botmatch (3 minute game, score based on killcount). It could even be online if doors and bots were only visible to individual players. Not that we need a campaign, but it could be very simple to implement on a basic level.

The game has been opened up to the community and can be updated much easier now, if this idea is doable and you want to help then I can devote some time to trying to implement a rudimentary campaign. I would need a better mapper than myself to help, and someone who is confident in coding in the engine (My background is Audio Production/Networking). If anyone is bored and wants to take an original map and make it linear, then I would appreciate the help in this project. Either way I am going to try to make race versions of every map I can. Anyone wanting to add to the collection can feel free to do so.
--
Attachments
BloodlustRace0.1.rar
Bloodlust Race 0.1
(1.37 MiB) Downloaded 151 times
EnyoRace0.1.rar
Enyo Race 0.1
(2.51 MiB) Downloaded 164 times
DeathtrapRace02.rar
Deathtrap Race 02 - Mostly Finished. May be few messed up textures or messed up lighting.
(930.92 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
Last edited by Goku on 29 Mar 2015 15:44, edited 13 times in total.
Goku

Re: Race Remakes for Standard Maps

Postby qreeves » 27 Mar 2015 04:27

All maps are cc-by-sa or better. You only need to provide attribution.
Quinton Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse
|
Contribute to Project Costs via or
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby freezurbern » 27 Mar 2015 12:08

Interesting concept, I'd love to see more.
freezurbern

Postby unixfreak » 27 Mar 2015 18:58

That's a really cool idea.
unixfreak

Postby Goku » 27 Mar 2015 19:34

Thanks, I have Enyo, Deathtrap, and Bloodlust nearly complete with rooftop in the works.

Some of the more indoor focused maps are easy to do, but the open maps take alot of zoning and remapping. I am making progress on rooftop that looks really cool though.

One thing I am focusing on here is making a different kind of race than what we currently have. It will be less about difficult obstacles and more about maximizing your map route. Some of them wont seem like the typical race maps, just who can run across the map the fastest. I am considering no checkpoints since there are few difficult obstacles.
Goku

Postby Goku » 28 Mar 2015 05:32

Rooftop 0.1 ready - Max Attatchments on main post.

Rooftop 0.1 Video: http://youtu.be/sHqYd8Qb9Cw
Attachments
RooftopRace0.1.rar
(3.54 MiB) Downloaded 169 times
Last edited by Goku on 28 Mar 2015 06:59, edited 1 time in total.
Goku

Postby qreeves » 28 Mar 2015 05:45

Feel free to create your own folder in http://github.com/red-eclipse/community for easier distribution. Just submit a pull request and we'll merge it in.
|
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby bonifarz » 28 Mar 2015 10:02

Hey Goku, nice to "see" you again here

Yeah, going trial/race on regular maps is something I tried long ago, too.
Before I have a closer look at your maps, I'd like to share a few thoughts.

My earlier attempt was to keep the map unmodified for other modes, and add trial/race -specific obstacles. This can be done with mapmodels, but they typically look ugly, especially if you try to block larger passages. I tried to make the mapmodels invisible and add mode-specific particles, but that was still a mess :)

But with Aurora edition, we can actually indicate the path with route entities, which is cool also for this idea here. Furthermore, checkpoints refill energy, which can be very useful to keep players on a well defined track, as you can move very fast with good supply of impulse energy.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby qreeves » 28 Mar 2015 11:10

My two cents; maybe we should add the ability to link checkpoints. A player would have to get the previous checkpoint to be able to progress to the next. Then maybe the radar/game can show the next checkpoint as well.

Afterthought: maybe we also need those Need for Speed like barriers, with arrows and stuff. A race specific clip material?
|
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby Goku » 28 Mar 2015 13:47

That would be perfect, I feel bad changing geometry in these maps and that would make it much easier to make paths clearer, and could be done with more open maps.
Goku

Postby Bobbo » 28 Mar 2015 13:59

Bobbo

Postby MaxPayne » 28 Mar 2015 14:58

Do I really need one of these signature things anyway?
MaxPayne

Postby Bobbo » 28 Mar 2015 16:34

Also, I really like this idea... Can I call dibs on doing the route for ubik? :D
Bobbo

Postby Goku » 30 Mar 2015 17:35

I will leave that one untouched for you bobo. I am going to wait on starting new maps until we get confirmation from quin on the race specific clip mat and checkpoint linking before I start any new ones. Just going to polish the ones I have in case race servers want to add them. If the clip mat and linking gets put in it will be much easier to create race modes for every map with only one map file. They could even be a mode on normal servers if the server admins want to make race available as a standard game mode. Not sure if that would work for the community or if race needs to remain a separate server.
Goku

Postby Bobbo » 05 Apr 2015 18:46

Feedback for center

Remove the death/water, it's not needed. Given how center is laid out and the start and end you've chosen, that's all it needs. This could be done now as the stock map with no problems.
Bobbo

Return to Maps and Mods