[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Red Eclipse • View topic - STORAGE: Time-Trial - Maps&Times. Map pack v1.1

STORAGE: Time-Trial - Maps&Times. Map pack v1.1

User created maps and modifications, showcase your latest map, model, etc
Forum rules
The forum is now in read only mode, please see: https://redeclipse.net/discuss

89%
11%

Total votes : 28

STORAGE: Time-Trial - Maps&Times. Map pack v1.1

Postby TristamK » 02 Feb 2014 17:12

Last edited by TristamK on 03 Feb 2014 19:15, edited 1 time in total.
TristamK

Re: STORAGE: Time-Trial - Maps&Times. Map pack v1.1

Postby TristamK » 02 Feb 2014 17:13

TristamK

Postby TristamK » 02 Feb 2014 17:14

If you have better time that have this list - post a sreenshot here.

Best time on the map Escape .
LuckyStrike-Rx 1:18.156

Best time on the map Hawk .
PK - 27:232:00

Best time on the map Orange Run .
TristamK - 15:204:00

Best time on the map Diesel .
bonifarz - 11:112:00
TristamK

Postby radiant » 02 Feb 2014 23:59

Might as well start it off with a couple new times.

(This was with the trip to the switch at the start of the blue section, and probably should have been 54 if not for having to make that detour. One-time switches like that simply have no place in TT maps.)

All with demos available.
Attachments
escapefinal55567.dmo
(69.08 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
hawk19247.dmo
(62.46 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
cyanide41458.dmo
(62.73 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
radiant

Postby bonifarz » 03 Feb 2014 10:29

Thanks for sharing, radiant :)

And thanks for migrating the topic, TristamK. Maybe you want to rearrange the wall of text a bit, to put more focus on your awesome map pack ;)

EDIT: I guess i should add some dmo, too. Not the best times, but could be interesting anyway.
Attachments
neodriveBoni37.550.dmo
(58.59 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
hinderBoni.47.850.dmo
(61.2 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
signBoni.11.450.dmo
(57.78 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
Last edited by bonifarz on 04 Feb 2014 10:45, edited 1 time in total.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby TristamK » 03 Feb 2014 19:16

TristamK

Postby radiant » 04 Feb 2014 02:38

Here's a couple more, using more...questionable methods.

"Yeah, that's right, I SKIPPED 1:13. (And 1:14 too, but no one cares about that.)"

[EDIT]

Well, can't say I haven't skipped it before.

Also, was that 1:18 "best time" for the easy version? Really makes you wonder.
Attachments
steelrat38891.dmo
(61.37 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
purge112785.dmo
(75.13 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
escapehardfinal111543.dmo
(72.73 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
radiant

Postby radiant » 07 Feb 2014 15:16

I've now put up actual videos for , , , and , in case anyone isn't in the business of collecting demo files.
radiant

Postby SylvieLorxu » 07 Feb 2014 15:33

SylvieLorxu / TheLastProject | Global Administrator, Red Eclipse | Signature thief
SylvieLorxu

Postby radiant » 07 Feb 2014 15:55

There's a difference: "suicided" means some unacceptable slowdown occurred, and it's better to go back to the beginning and restart the clock from 0. "gave up their corporeal form" means switching to spectate mode, then upon clicking back into the game, I go back to the last checkpoint, and it's often profitable to do this immediately after touching a checkpoint just for the boost refill.

Normally my TT sessions are filled with a lot more suicides (my mouse has two side buttons which I've bound to "suicide" and "spectate" respectively, because I use them often enough that I wanted something quick and seamless to reach for). But in all these offline demo recording sessions except purge, I rebound the suicide key so that it would cast a vote for the same game type instead, effectively restarting the session! Those restarts don't get included in the ultimately successful demo, which is a good thing because you wouldn't want to have to trudge through all of them in playback.
radiant

Postby radiant » 24 Feb 2014 00:36

As I was looking around at the shapes of things in edit mode, I saw a facinating possibility for a huge shortcut that looked to be just out of reach. By paying close attention to the angle and position data on the HUD that's given to us in edit mode, and playing in slow motion at first, I was able to nail down the timing for a jump that just barely allowed me to clear the gap, demonstrating the level could be totally broken, even if in a ridiculously impractical way.

But then as I got the hang of it, I could start increasing the speed and still get enough distance, until finally I understood the positioning well enough to nail the jump without the HUD numbers' help. It's still a very inconsistent trick, but...

...it only needs to be made once, right? As the screenshot indicates, there are 12 deaths from failed attempts in the demo before the feature presentation; skip forward about 50 seconds to move past them.
Attachments
amplification32133.dmo
(54.82 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
radiant

Postby radiant » 09 May 2014 07:22

Well now, this took long enough to get under SVN settings. (If you recall, the 1.4 version of the map combined with some dubious rules at the time to allow a completion that was almost exactly one-tenth of this.)

The ultimate successful run starts about 2:45 into the demo.

I considered the possibility of completing a lap, then working backwards through the entire level and triggering the start checkpoint from the far side. This would allow lap 2 to comprise a shorter distance, by roughly the diameter of the checkpoint sphere. However, the need to tiptoe backwards and immediately reverse direction, instead of getting off to the high-speed start that's possible normally, means that at least on this map, it probably isn't worthwhile as a time saver.
Attachments
testchamber19772.dmo
(103.04 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
radiant

Postby Kyron » 11 May 2014 01:36

I just realised there is just over 200 maps that I just downloaded from this one thread O_o
Battle is my Forte
Kyron

Postby bonifarz » 12 May 2014 04:57

The tc run is awesome, radiant - really hard to get near that by even one second.
Hey acerspyro, you may want to make use of private messages for future friendly tips ;)
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby radiant » 16 May 2014 00:47

Next on the list, hinder. Despite appearances, it's actually a fairly forgiving map.

Then I moved onto wardepot, where I did this (success starts about 2:20 into the demo):

But is that my best time there? No, because wardepot is a broken stage with lots of invisible floors out of bounds, making this possible:

If wardepot is going to be included in 1.5, we should figure out a proper way to fix that. Speaking of bugs, about 45 seconds into the demo that uses the "regular" path, there's a small physics bug that occasionally pops up here, wherein I'm able to turn the corner and run down the long straightaway of the vent at speed 110, instead of the normal 95. I suspect this has something to do with the value of movestepdown, but no idea why it's being invoked on this obviously flat ground, or why it only happened on that attempt and not the successful one.
Attachments
wardepot29276.bugged.dmo
glitched route
(59.92 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
wardepot37794.dmo
regular route
(107.33 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
hinder44860.dmo
(62.57 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
radiant

Postby radiant » 29 May 2014 01:15

What's this? Another broken stage (if only by the barest of margins)?

And I have to start the route with nothing but skybox for surroundings, too. Crazy.
Attachments
crueldozen51865.dmo
(75.98 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
radiant

Postby bonifarz » 01 Jul 2014 11:13

Are there still plans for maintaining the map pack? Making sure that each map has a start checkpoint would be really useful. It is a trivial task for a single map, but with the huge content of the package, that will take some effort...

Closely related: The [RM] progress servers offer lots of custom content (not only) for trial, but re-accessing the main menu is a real problem. Have you considered setting sv_maphistory 0 to ensure the "map" Menu can be voted any time? I think disabling previously played maps is not that important for this server, and finding another way to access your mods menu may be difficult.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby TristamK » 04 Jul 2014 18:20

TristamK

Postby radiant » 04 Jul 2014 19:36

Attachments
wardepot.mpz
(3.43 MiB) Downloaded 161 times
radiant

Postby qreeves » 05 Jul 2014 02:31

I'd love to see a few more good time trial maps put into RE for the 1.5 release. Maybe you could work on a couple of the best and send them my way?
Quinton Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse
|
Contribute to Project Costs via or
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby bonifarz » 05 Jul 2014 10:54

Hey TristamK, I did not mean to urge you with this, I was just curious.
I'm sorry to hear about Temka's departure, since the progress servers are about the only permanent servers for trial games these days.
Maybe you'll find the time to polish one of your favorite maps so quin can add it - just do what is fun for you and feels right :D
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby radiant » 05 Jul 2014 20:02

I polished up Goku's "Escape" map to the point where this version ought to be considered for official inclusion. The annoying push-button doors are gone, as are the boost rings in order to prevent the level from becoming "hit all the rings and bypass the obstacles that way". Also, I turned down the volume of all the atmospheric sound effects, and since the long winding tunnel of pushers between the red and blue sections was prone to malfunction, I replaced it with a teleport.

Obviously, this was based on the easy version that has more platforms, as the "hard" version of Escape is way too demanding for public consumption. There are several maps like Tonatiuh that are likewise polished enough to be official, but I wouldn't recommend including for reasons of difficulty.
Attachments
escape.zip
(952.2 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
radiant

Postby MichelT » 05 Jul 2014 23:45

I personally want to see the map "diesel" included in the 1.5.
It's a fast map which units good map style with fun for all players. All in all, I think this map might be great fun for the average re player since everyone can complete it multiple times in 10 minutes :)
MichelT

Postby qreeves » 06 Jul 2014 01:44

Is difficulty an issue though? Time trial isn't available on public servers by default, so what's left are servers specifically set up for it. I know I sometimes jump on to "learn from the pros". Yes, I suck at using the physics I created. Maybe all maps should indicate difficulty in their name?
|
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby bonifarz » 06 Jul 2014 06:22

There is a hard (original) version of escape, which indeed is much more difficult. (I think we actually played on the hard escape map once, quin.)
The difficulty on the regular escape map and on diesel should not be a problem - the latter is probably easier than some official maps.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby TristamK » 06 Jul 2014 11:13

TristamK

Postby TristamK » 06 Jul 2014 11:27

Maybe it will be interesting to anyone. I decided to post something new.
Here a map from Sauer. But remaded for time-trial in RE.
Attachments
simple-run-06-sp.zip
(5.21 MiB) Downloaded 163 times
screenshot.0522.png
TristamK

Postby TristamK » 06 Jul 2014 15:49

Work in Progress. Old map.
P.S. Are we have thread for screenshots here?
Attachments
screenshot.0524.jpg
screenshot.0525.jpg
screenshot.0526.jpg
TristamK

Postby bonifarz » 06 Jul 2014 20:17

| | | |
bonifarz

Postby shirepirate » 06 Jul 2014 21:04

Tonatiuh is already polished enough for inclusion. EscapeHardFinal (or Escale Hard Final? not sure what Goku's intended name was as this is what it's called upon loading) needs a little polishing, there are a couple minor bugs like the easier version of the map.
shirepirate

Postby bonifarz » 07 Jul 2014 09:07

Last edited by bonifarz on 08 Jul 2014 15:50, edited 1 time in total.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby bonifarz » 08 Jul 2014 15:49

| | | |
bonifarz

Postby qreeves » 09 Jul 2014 00:57

Yeah I will fix that today most likely. Some of the sounds are way too loud as well.
|
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby radiant » 07 Sep 2014 18:49

Here's a couple more down on the task of setting marks for every map in the official rotation, as well as one improvement to a previous mark.
Attachments
neodrive35990.dmo
(62.68 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
cyanide39612.dmo
(61.9 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
relax28560.dmo
(63.05 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
radiant

Postby radiant » 25 Sep 2014 06:44

This should complete the collection with the last (and, currently, longest) of the official 1.4.5 maps. Also more random improvements; the steelrat route is absurd and will obviously be fixed for the next release, probably by making that lower section of wall all flush.
Attachments
absorption109545.dmo
(74.39 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
purge59862.dmo
(73.1 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
steelrat29029.dmo
(62.71 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
radiant

Return to Maps and Mods