[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Red Eclipse • View topic - New Tune for RE Soundtrack

New Tune for RE Soundtrack

User created maps and modifications, showcase your latest map, model, etc
Forum rules
The forum is now in read only mode, please see: https://redeclipse.net/discuss

New Tune for RE Soundtrack

Postby WeskerHunter » 23 Feb 2014 00:50

Hey,

I decided to sit down and write a new track for Red Eclipse. This is what I came up with. I tried to write it in the style of the existing tracks, and I may or may not have succeeded. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Wes

UPDATE: Thanks for all your feedback. I tried to take what you suggested into account and re-mixed the track. The drums are a lot softer and more natural. I also changed some synths and fiddled with the effects until I thought it sounded better :D. Enjoy.
Attachments
RE track.ogg
The revised track.
(2.37 MiB) Downloaded 467 times
Last edited by WeskerHunter on 24 Feb 2014 04:56, edited 1 time in total.
For every profound and uplifting signature, there is an equally thought-provoking one. For every italicized word, there is a new fascination. For every parallel comparison of antonyms, a breathless captivation. Where someone writes to inspire, someone else facetiously mimics... :D
WeskerHunter

Re: New Tune for RE Soundtrack

Postby qreeves » 23 Feb 2014 02:48

Probably a bit more retro, and has a bit of an artificial feel to the beat line. Might need more dynamic range too, it sounds a little "airy".
Quinton Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse
|
Contribute to Project Costs via or
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby SylvieLorxu » 23 Feb 2014 11:22

You at least succeeded to get pretty close to the original style, but I don't hear the current songs often enough to make an informed decision on what should be changed, if anything.

Let me be the first one to nag about licensing: If a final version gets approved by quin, it'll need to be under a Free Culture license such as or . I never run into people having trouble with this, especially not if they're explicitly submitting for their content to be used in another project, but I just felt like it wouldn't hurt to mention.

(Am I supposed to link to version 4, the latest version, of that license? I think most content in RE uses version 3? Does the exact version even matter?)
SylvieLorxu / TheLastProject | Global Administrator, Red Eclipse | Signature thief
SylvieLorxu

Postby restcoser » 23 Feb 2014 11:27

I like it. The change is good to see, as I've already heard the RE standard soundtrack far too much. ;)

Edit:s/see/hear/
restcoser

Postby unixfreak » 23 Feb 2014 22:09

I like it, the drums could be changed a little, in particular the kickdrum's beat (maybe a bit too much in some places) and a quieter snare.
The main riff of the track is awesome though.
unixfreak

Postby WeskerHunter » 24 Feb 2014 19:35

Sure, I have no problem with a CC license, probably CC-BY-SA. I have one question though, and it's probably a silly one: Do these licenses affect what I can do with the work, or do I still have the ability to do what I like with it?

Oh, and in case you missed it, there's an updated track above.
For every profound and uplifting signature, there is an equally thought-provoking one. For every italicized word, there is a new fascination. For every parallel comparison of antonyms, a breathless captivation. Where someone writes to inspire, someone else facetiously mimics... :D
WeskerHunter

Postby SylvieLorxu » 24 Feb 2014 20:15

SylvieLorxu / TheLastProject | Global Administrator, Red Eclipse | Signature thief
SylvieLorxu

Postby Ulukai » 24 Feb 2014 21:44

Nice attempt for a new tune! I like the second half of it better than the first one, from 1:00 onward. I agree that the drums are dull, they sound like a 64kbps recording.
I'm not sure whether it really fits RE that much, because it sounds more like a platformer soundtrack than a menu song to me. Good theme though.
Ulukai

Postby WeskerHunter » 24 Feb 2014 23:42

Yeah, the second half is where it gets really intense :D. In response to some of your remarks, Ulukai: I tried to emulate a hip-hop drum machine when I worked on the drums. I had the impression that the current tracks tend to have a retro kind of snare. Track 2 in particular has the kind of snare I was thinking of. For that reason the drums probably sound low-def, but that was by design. If you guys don't like it, I suppose I can try a different drum style. Also, I didn't intend for this to be a menu theme, I was envisioning it to be one of the tracks that plays in-game.
WeskerHunter

Postby qreeves » 25 Feb 2014 02:53

Quinton Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse
|
Contribute to Project Costs via or
qreeves
Site Admin

Re: New Tune for RE Soundtrack (V2)

Postby blakthunder » 25 Feb 2014 05:25

Agreeing with other feelings about the first half of the song, it gets really repetitive quickly, and the beginning especially reminds me of a certain song I really dislike. The second half is a lot more dynamic and a little more battle-oriented, which is nice. (I wish we had more songs like that.)
blakthunder

Postby FaTony » 26 Feb 2014 17:49

*extremely jealous over your music skills*
FaTony

Postby acerspyro » 07 Mar 2014 21:03

Too high-pitched. Get more bass and lower the pitch.
*screams internally*
acerspyro

Postby AbusBambus » 10 Mar 2014 21:50

Wow, you really nailed the style of the RE soundtrack, the instruments and drums sound a little off, but the overall melodical style is just like the original songs.
AbusBambus

Return to Maps and Mods