[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Red Eclipse • View topic - Tuto (updated 14 jul)

Tuto (updated 14 jul)

User created maps and modifications, showcase your latest map, model, etc
Forum rules
The forum is now in read only mode, please see: https://redeclipse.net/discuss

Tuto (updated 14 jul)

Postby bonifarz » 20 Jul 2014 07:06

Attachments
Tuto.jpeg
Tuto.0.7.elara.zip
An old version for Elera edition (RE 1.4): Tuned for weaker impulse moves, waypoints instead of routes, supports old checkpoint mechanics.
(1.2 MiB) Downloaded 729 times
Tuto-0.8.2.zip
previous version for Aurora edition (RE 1.5 up to 1.5.3) - no claw weapon
(1004.95 KiB) Downloaded 700 times
Tuto-0.9.zip
current version for Eylsium edition (RE 1.4.5)
(1010.66 KiB) Downloaded 359 times
Last edited by bonifarz on 08 Nov 2014 12:23, edited 25 times in total.
| | | |
bonifarz

Re: Tuto

Postby Honno » 20 Jul 2014 15:05

Nice, not perfect (dashing plox) but does a pretty good job with the people I've introduced to it.
Honno

Postby bonifarz » 20 Jul 2014 16:06

| | | |
bonifarz

Postby Honno » 20 Jul 2014 16:39

Honno

Postby shirepirate » 21 Jul 2014 08:03

my suggestions to improve it are:

choose a darker color for the letters or add a dark background behind them all. it can cause a problem with higher gamma levels.

it might possibly look better to have the words at player-level, rather than having to look down at times. could they be put off to the side? the side the player doesn't need to proceed at. and they might look nicer there with a background. they could still be unclipped probably.

maybe you can explain impulse launch a little more in-depth, possibly impulse slide too. i saw some struggling with how to do those. something like:

"Impulse Slide: jump forward, then press crouch when you hit the ground."
"Impulse Launch: crouch to impulse slide, then look up high while still crouching and jump."

or something to that effect.

maybe add some more death material, raise the bottom death material some and add more to the sides to prevent any shortcuts.
shirepirate

Postby restcoser » 21 Jul 2014 09:32

I just noticed you are using letters from an old script... Try "Typegen" by Nyne, it uses prefabs instead of copy&paste (it even contains my own font! yay! :P)
(admittedly, my font is maybe not the best in that package... whatever :P)
http://quadropolis.us/node/4065
restcoser

Postby bonifarz » 21 Jul 2014 18:05

Hey, restcoser, I just had a look at that script - awesome! Also, I like your font in that package, clean and nice. The only thing I changed in the cfg are autocompletes for the typegen and typegn_font commands (and replacing brush with prefab for use with svn).
Concerning the old typewriter thingie: That must be more than a year ago when i tried this (could not figure out how to adapt it to RE). Admittedly, I just saved the letters from the map as prefabs and made a small script - but i did not figure out how to move the edit selection, so it was pretty useless. Therefore: Thanks for the clue.

shirepirate, I fully agree with most of your suggestions. When i placed the text, the intention was to have the hints occluded from a distance, such that they are discovered as you need them. I admit, the idea is poorly executed, and does not work all that well. And yeah, contrast and visibility are a weak point here.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby shirepirate » 27 Jul 2014 01:02

shirepirate

Postby Calinou » 27 Jul 2014 16:37

/valpha 1 and /valpha 0.001 work fine for that.
Calinou

Re: Tuto (updated 3 aug)

Postby bonifarz » 03 Aug 2014 14:13

Time for a small update - which is mostly limited to the text prefabs.
Shirepirate, I took your comment as constructive feedback, and that is apreciated!
Alpha behind alpha is indeed a nice idea, yet I don't want text to pop out of nowhere. I think with this version, the occlusion and readability of the text is not that bad. Much of the poor contrast was due do the cloud layer.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby shirepirate » 03 Aug 2014 14:53

the color of the yellow text against the skybox is what makes visibility hard i think. no clouds just takes away from what atmosphere it had i feel. you can probably still use yellow, but you need some form of dark background behind it. i think the end checkpoint may have been broken? it ended my lap before i had reached the last platform.
shirepirate

Postby bonifarz » 03 Aug 2014 20:50

| | | |
bonifarz

Postby shirepirate » 03 Aug 2014 23:46

i find the font change harder to read than what it was before, also words are spaced too close together. the skybox is a nice one, it shouldn't change, but that doesn't solve the problem of it being difficult to decipher text. it should stand out and be easily readable. some sounds would maybe be nice as well.
shirepirate

Postby restcoser » 04 Aug 2014 10:56

Ya I think thats the main weakness of my font, the hinting is quite bad :P
Feel free to use any other font, you are not bound to my font just because I made it ;)
restcoser

Postby Honno » 06 Aug 2014 10:02

There's now a tuto 24/7 server, thanks to skiing :D
Honno

Postby bonifarz » 08 Aug 2014 17:03

| | | |
bonifarz

Re: Tuto (updated 8 aug)

Postby freezurbern » 08 Aug 2014 17:16

updated on server to 0.4 (accidentally shut down for update while bonifarz was on it, sorry)
freezurbern

Postby shirepirate » 08 Aug 2014 21:24

i'd say it improves a little each time. it's easier to read the text now. a small typo on the impulse launch hint.

the area around the impulse jump hint is more confusing than it needs to be. if players shouldn't proceed up to where it says "you can't climb this wall," then put another large vertical wall to block it instead. or simply one large cube floating above that area.

in the wall jump section, it's possible and not even very difficult to reach the small sphere without a wall jump and 2nd mid-air boost. make the gap larger?

increase the size of the last checkpoint, radius not large enough to logically fill that platform. increase size of teleport slightly also. the start checkpoint also isn't large enough.

not familiar with how toggling waypoints works or if that feature is available in r6550, but that trigger did nothing for me.

also the little time challenge at the end describing a respectable amount of time for a run was nice, you should add it back
shirepirate

Postby bonifarz » 09 Aug 2014 12:59

| | | |
bonifarz

Postby qreeves » 10 Aug 2014 04:17

The waypoint thing is a pretty neat idea. I think an expansion on this to allow time trial mappers a way to show route hints would probably be beneficial. One could have multiple routes (easy, optimal, fastest, etc), and points could be tagged for button presses telling the player how to progress. I could use some fancy particle tricks to highlight the path ahead of the player, etc. Easy to do with linked entities (which is what waypoints used to be before they were optimised). What do you think?
Quinton Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse
|
Contribute to Project Costs via or
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby bonifarz » 10 Aug 2014 06:51

Some particle hints are definitely an option - the waypoints are actually useful to quickly get an idea where these could be positioned. Of course, that might work well for maps with multiple routes.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby freezurbern » 10 Aug 2014 12:19

freezurbern

Postby bonifarz » 10 Aug 2014 14:50

I'm working on an update that will cover more moves, including a different impulse jump section and some advanced techniques. Maybe I'll get it done today.

EDIT: Done. Well, halfways. I just wanted to leave a version here for those who want to test it, but there are probably a few small (or bigger?) things that need to be fixed. Contains waypoints again.

Also, if you want to change the texts, here is a small modification for use with . I simply added a space prefab for ease of word spacing and changed brush to prefab, so it works with SVN.
Attachments
typegen.spacing.zip
put the prefab in restcosers font dir and use this script to get a wider word spacing.
(1.92 KiB) Downloaded 703 times
| | | |
bonifarz

Re: Tuto (updated 11 aug)

Postby Honno » 11 Aug 2014 13:01

I think for teaching the vault, it would be better to use those thin triangle prisms like in Port's and CruelDozen's vault-related trials. The kick is not a particularly needed in 'getting started' and is taught after it ends anyway. Really I don't see the use of vaulting as a new player either (I still hardly use it in non-TT matches), so it could just be put on the advanced half of the tutorial. Otherwise, thanks for continuing the improve this, 0.5 brings a pretty good change.
Honno

Postby qreeves » 11 Aug 2014 13:05

You should note that you vault at all ledges, and the force applied is slightly higher than a regular wall kick. So you probably do vault, and just don't know it.
|
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby bonifarz » 11 Aug 2014 15:37

The explanation about the kick and vault is there because it makes it much easier to land on a platform after a ... suboptimal jump ;)
Vaults are mentioned just as a remark about the move, which is often confused with kicks. The wall vs "edge" phrase is really not very clear - especially if ledge is the correct term :lol:
Maybe a small vault section will be a nice addition, including a ground level obstacle you just run into without jumping - another important difference to kicks (had that in the older white tutorial).

I am working on another update, and there will be many differences to version 0.5. Most notably, I have split up the entire thing into three alternate routes - beginner, casual and advanced. I do hope i can tune it such that the harder routes will give slightly faster times (probably around 25-30s). Impulse and wall jump sections are improved, the pusher will be ditched. There's just many small things that need to be taken care of before posting another preview.
| | | |
bonifarz

Re: Tuto (updated 13 aug)

Postby bonifarz » 12 Aug 2014 22:27

Time for an update, so the three different routes can be tested and compared. I do hope this approach makes a big improvement.

I have just finished putting this together, though, so there are probably some typos or other issues left. At least, there are decent waypoints included this time.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby shirepirate » 13 Aug 2014 04:16

the "hold q to proceed" and use all impulse boosts part is interesting but it didn't work for me. no matter which direction i pointed i couldn't make it across just holding parkour button. it should be noted i always play in 3rd person.

in the advanced route i suppose the 1st checkpoint is too large, as it will place you on top of the wall kick thing without actually making it up there. also jeez, that is very very difficult. i only made it up there once without the checkpoint abuse and it seemed like a fluke. is there an easier way to do it? the rest of the advanced route was a cakewalk compared to that first part.

maybe add a teleport option to go back to the route choice at the end of each one as well?
shirepirate

Postby bonifarz » 13 Aug 2014 10:43

Thanks for the comments.

Heck, I did not realize vaults are actually stronger in SVN ;)
In 0.5.2, there are now two sets of obstacles for the vault section, which looks a bit ugly, but should fix the problem for now. Side note: It really does not depend on the angle of view, so I hope it is suitable for beginners.

Kick section: Did you use impulse jumps (release the W key) after the kicks? I think that makes a big difference, and changed the text accordingly.

Also, I have added one of the most unpopular move challenges at the end of the advanced route :p

A teleport to the hub may be nicer than having to fall off or press K, right. Not sure where they should be best placed.

EDIT: Another difference to SVN I have not realized so far: The delay between dashes is longer in vanilla RE, which makes the last bit of the casual path pointless. I have moved it to a sandbox area and fixed a checkpoint problem on the advanced route --> 0.5.3.
| | | |
bonifarz

Re: Tuto (updated 15 aug)

Postby bonifarz » 15 Aug 2014 09:58

Another update (0.5.5) is ready with some tweaks and fixes. Have fun exploring the "expert" route :)
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby qreeves » 16 Aug 2014 09:37

This is what I have so far. I think I might even be able to get some sort of "ghost" feature going.
Attachments
20140816193239.png
|
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby Honno » 16 Aug 2014 10:50

Honno

Postby bonifarz » 16 Aug 2014 13:08

Thanks for the preview, Quin. Just fetched rev. 6694, searched the vars for route and had some fun experimenting with this. So these are dropped like waypoints, but they contain additional information about facing angle, strafing, parkour, crouching etc. Like other entities, they are saved along with the map and can be moved and modified conveniently - very nice. The id's will be for showing different routes, right?
Ghost mode: Sounds useful for singleplayer, just as it is often available in racing games. I guess the idea is to start playback from a dmo file exactly when the player starts a lap. Maybe it could even work for lap sections?

Thanks for the kind feedback, Honno.
Launch climb: I often fail with this bit, too - will try it again with elera edition - EDIT: You are right! There is indeed a new var impulseparkourclimb of 1.4, while impulseparkourkick is 1.3. So I should lower the obstacle.
Dash: Actually, i had a section to encourage use of dashes (for sliding between platforms), but i removed it because it only worked in SVN: Otherwise, the delay of dashes was too long to build up momentum. And you could chain multislides after a first dash anyway, so it was not useful. Do you have any idea for a challenge that makes dashes necessary?
Prettier looks: That was my statement in the first post from the very beginning. But as you wrote, it makes sense to build up the layout/ mechanics first. Also, that's why feedback about balance and times is helpful, because bigger changes might still be needed.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby Honno » 16 Aug 2014 13:46

Honno

Postby bonifarz » 16 Aug 2014 14:04

No doubt, the move is useful, but how can we make a section for players to practice dashing? That's what i meant with "necessary". Maybe we could use the fact that strafe dash in air is perfectly horizontal.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby Honno » 16 Aug 2014 14:14

Ah sorry, does seems hard to put in practically. I guess that dash jump trial in CruelDozen would fit in advanced? It's no point putting it as just a tip 'early on' is my thinking, but something to show that it can be used. Maybe I'll need to make a combat section some page on the wiki to give strategies like this.
Honno

Postby SniperGoth » 16 Aug 2014 14:41

Yeah, i can finish the expert route on svn, but not on 1.4, unless i plasma climb it (that's something you forgot, the plasma climb, and the ladder boost ).
Ex Iron fist level designer/ Ex Revelade Revolution level designer, 3d/2d artist, and still trying to figure out sound design...
SniperGoth

Postby Honno » 16 Aug 2014 14:52

Honno

Postby SniperGoth » 16 Aug 2014 14:56

Yeah. The plasma1/smg1 gives a lot of kickpush that you can use.
I don't mind weapons on time trial, as i like to run obstacle courses sometimes, with the drones trying to stop me from finishing the lap.
Ex Iron fist level designer/ Ex Revelade Revolution level designer, 3d/2d artist, and still trying to figure out sound design...
SniperGoth

Postby bonifarz » 16 Aug 2014 15:28

| | | |
bonifarz

Postby Honno » 16 Aug 2014 16:02

Honno

Re: Tuto (updated 16 aug)

Postby radiant » 16 Aug 2014 16:54

Lowering the ceiling so that the room was a uniform 4m high all the way across, wouldn't change a thing about it. The double is still possible there.

Also, I play in /dashstyle 0 so I can make fine-tuned adjustments in midair which may well include pressing the same direction twice, where spoiling the dash for that is undesirable. The double-tap floating instruction, then, won't always work.
radiant

Postby qreeves » 17 Aug 2014 01:56

I must admit, I didn't think recent physics tweaks would influence things that much. Sorry! You could have pusher room that just involves a basic redirection of momentum to reach the exit; face a pusher over a death zone aimed at a deadly obstacle with an opening that is to the left or right.
|
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby bonifarz » 17 Aug 2014 11:31

Last edited by bonifarz on 17 Aug 2014 13:18, edited 1 time in total.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby Honno » 17 Aug 2014 11:36

Honno

Re: Tuto (updated 18 aug)

Postby bonifarz » 18 Aug 2014 21:52

| | | |
bonifarz

Re: Tuto (updated 18 aug)

Postby shirepirate » 20 Aug 2014 05:25

did you construct this map using primarily svn parkour mechanics or something? have you tried the advanced route on elara? the momentum upward on wall jumps, wall kicks has changed. i still find that 1st part ridiculously hard. but it's easy in SVN. you must have constructed it for SVN. same goes for reaching the expert route start, much easier in SVN (but not really all that difficult in elara either). it looks like waypoints maybe need to be updated to geometry changes? they seemed off in a few spots like beginner route. you might try each route in elara before another release just to make sure everything is possible and plays the way you intended (especially expert), as that's the only way people are playing the map online.
shirepirate

Re: Tuto (updated 20 aug)

Postby bonifarz » 20 Aug 2014 10:51

| | | |
bonifarz

Postby bonifarz » 20 Aug 2014 18:03

Ow, this could be a bigger problem: I wanted to test the map online with a non-SVN client on both, freezurbern's Tuto server and shirepirate's rivendell trial server. Hitting any of the start checkpoints always sent me straight back to the playerstart - i don't have the slightest clue what is causing this problem. I deleted the map, restarted the client, reconnected - same problem. Saved the map, reconnected - same problem. I was the only player on these servers, so this problem is really strange, and it renders the map unplayable. Question: Does this also happen with a compatible SVN client? Is it maybe related to the teleports near the start checkpoint (a similar thing once happened in crueldozen)?
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby qreeves » 21 Aug 2014 01:35

Really shouldn't be using svn maps on 1.4.x. The fact it is letting it load is a bug, entities have changed since r6550.
|
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby bonifarz » 21 Aug 2014 07:01

Of course, especially if we consider mut-specific entities and weapons. What puzzles me here: There is absolutely no problem when I launch an elera edition server and test the map there. Well, I was just hoping to find a solution with some trial and error.
| | | |
bonifarz

Re: Tuto (updated 22 aug)

Postby bonifarz » 22 Aug 2014 13:58

I have added a test version for elera edition to the topics first post. Changes include slightly moved start checkpoints, since the action of respawn and start checkpoints is a bit different in vanilla RE1.4. V0.6e is almost the same version I tested yesterday with Scatter, michel, green and a few more players - thanks for the game. The problem on r6550 servers is likely to persist, but we should check it nevertheless.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby freezurbern » 25 Aug 2014 01:12

turned off the server hosting this map. sorry bonifarz. tired of people.
freezurbern

Postby shirepirate » 25 Aug 2014 02:40

a version of the map for 1.4.5 and below and a version for SVN parkour mechanics is a very good idea, that's the way it should be. one more complete play-through of the one for elara couldn't hurt either, to ensure it's mechanics are set up in the most beneficial way (i see that you've already taken out the dual routes you'd set up in some areas). i think building any time trial map and switching between different physics is detrimental, unless it's only a very minimal change (you should save the elara version of the map on an r6550 client). i also noticed in that version the clip between the platforms at the start was taken out, making it different from the other versions. was that intentional?

i have no idea what you're talking about with the start checkpoint teleporting you. that is a local issue only for you it seems. when i play the 0.6.1 version of the map locally on r6550 or on an r6550 server, all the checkpoints work normally as they should. if you die after only touching a start checkpoint it also brings you back to that checkpoint, as it should. so yes, strange that you'd be experiencing that but i doubt anyone else has.
shirepirate

Postby bonifarz » 25 Aug 2014 06:57

No problem at all, skiingpenguins, and thanks for hosting.

Yes, shirepirate, I intend to provide two map versions for the different parkour mechanics, which turned out to make bigger differences than expected. Another difference should be the use of waypoints or route entities. First it was important for me to get feedback if the map is playable at all with an 1.4x client. The problems i mentioned are observed with the elera release version client, but only when connecting to a compatible SVN server.
The removal of glass (previously clip) material in the start area is intended. I think the glass was ugly and distracting, and some easy jumps are no bad thing for beginners.
| | | |
bonifarz

Re: Tuto (updated 26 aug)

Postby bonifarz » 26 Aug 2014 21:28

| | | |
bonifarz

Postby qreeves » 27 Aug 2014 01:56

|
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby bonifarz » 27 Aug 2014 05:46

| | | |
bonifarz

Re: Tuto (updated 27 aug)

Postby korsi » 30 Aug 2014 19:47

Really nice tutorial, but i didnt learn long slide nor spike :[
korsi

Re: Tuto (updated 27 aug)

Postby radiant » 30 Aug 2014 21:16

Would it help to cut a hole in the platform, and put the pusher in that hole so that players are guaranteed to hit it from the top instead of some other angle (kind of like the "wrong way" pusher at the start of Twisted, but obviously not so deep)?
radiant

Re: Tuto (updated 31 aug)

Postby bonifarz » 31 Aug 2014 07:47

Thanks for the feedback.
Korsi, do you mean the multislide at the end of the casual route, or the triple slide, which is based on the former? It just takes the right timing and therefore some practice, but the move is very useful on some harder trial maps. Spikes (is that even a suitable term?) are only really needed at the beginning of the expert route, although they are also mentioned in the momentum section. If no exceptional precision is needed, spikes are one of the easiest moves to execute (just mere button mashing of the jump key).

Yes, I first thought of a platform for the pusher, radiant. Then I hoped that just walking into the thing makes it more predictable. Meanwhile, I realized that things work much nicer if I just make the pushers absolute. Also, this leads to the same behavior in elara and SVN versions. So, the new pusher sections in 0.6.5 should be more consistent and also easier. I hope that works better, finally.

Another flaw I have seen is the very narrow platform right after the wall-climb. I realize new players are almost guaranteed to fall off, as they are still looking up or down to climb. I think a bumper improves the situation, and lowering the obstacle a bit does not seem a bad idea either.
| | | |
bonifarz

Re: Tuto (updated 31 aug)

Postby SniperGoth » 06 Sep 2014 00:36

Maybe bonifarz or someone could record an avi of him playing parts of the map, that could be used as a video gui while playing, to show up when the player gets in a new section of the map, like a hint button that you can press?
But i don't know if the game has things like that implemented so... it's a pseudo-suggestion.
SniperGoth

Re: Tuto (updated 7 sep)

Postby bonifarz » 07 Sep 2014 07:16

| | | |
bonifarz

Postby shirepirate » 22 Sep 2014 04:01

i think tuto should definitely be included in 1.5 (especially considering it's popularity). maybe boni wants to make some fancy waypoint routes for other TT maps too?   :idea: ;)
shirepirate

Postby bonifarz » 27 Sep 2014 13:39

I really don't know if the looks of the map are okay for inclusion. Again, if anybody likes to experiment with texturing and/or decorative geometry, just go for it. I think the layout for the laps / obstacles is okay so far, but suggestions for improvements are always welcome.
One major point left to consider is the use of the cylinder/ sphere elements. On the one hand, it is part of the design, on the other hand, i fully agree that the slopes can be annoying. So, altering the platforms to have sharp edges is okay for me, but if we do that, we should avoid blocky and boring looks.
Another issue are the actual tips. Some explanations may still need to be improved, there might be more small typos (e.g. triple slide) and the readability of the text can probably be improved as well.
| | | |
bonifarz

Re: Tuto (updated 23 oct)

Postby bonifarz » 23 Oct 2014 15:59

Pushed a small update, which comes with route ents for the expert section and some small fixes. Saved with rev 6773. I don't know what else should be done so we can consider it for the next release ;)
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby shirepirate » 24 Oct 2014 04:51

reducing the /skycolour makes the words much more visible. i'd still advise trying a different, more readable font & font color.

why is there a teleport at the very beginning?

the occlusion of the first 2 messages at the start seems to conflict, they aren't distant enough from each other

perhaps change references to energy to "impulse"

beginner: "while crouching with shift" --> "while crouching with shift or c" (isn't c also default? can't remember)

at impulse slide it seems there isn't enough room to start there, maybe increase the size of that platform some

in the more advanced routes, wherever either a spike to take off, an impulse launch to take off or a precise landing is required the round edges should be changed to normal edges (RE doesn't handle uphill geometry physics accurately)

the end of expert route returns to the beginning of expert route, rather than the hub

some of the moves in expert route aren't really explained very well (it is a sort of tutorial, after all). for example the slide jump (also you don't see the text slide jump until you're already there).
shirepirate

Postby bonifarz » 24 Oct 2014 12:23

Thanks for all the feedback.

I'll try some more color combinations for the sky and text - suggestions/examples are welcome. Also, have you thought of a specific font here? Some look nice, but will result in larger text.

The teleports to skip the hub area and to restart the expert route are intentional and there for convenience. Maybe that is a bit odd, but still nice to have.

I also thought C was a default binding, but seemingly not anymore. (Lazy me uses another key anyway...)
http://svn.icculus.org/*checkout*/redec ... /setup.cfg

Slide: After the pusher redirection? Maybe removing the first wall makes it more convenient, I'll see.

I thought impulse energy was a valid term for what is indicated by the impulse meter. All suggestions for improving the text are welcome, keep in mind that i'm not a native speaker :)

Round edges: Isn't it rather downhill slopes that are annoying? One tends to jump too late, such that the normal vector will not allow a high jump. But yeah, cutting some edges might help.

Thanks again.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby restcoser » 27 Oct 2014 18:04

I think just the starting area is a bit too hard for a complete noob...
The first jump already demands a last-second jump. Why? Isn't that part really just there to teach the very basic, like controls? I think it would be already enough to have a gap of like 1m there, increasing with the following platforms.

As for fancying this map up... I'd maybe help, if i can find the time...

(Honestly, I'd like to voicechat for mapping feedback and contributing, typing endless posts would be tiring for my poor hands... interested?)
restcoser

Postby bonifarz » 29 Oct 2014 10:08

Text visibility/ gaps in hub area: I tried a bunch of different things and honestly, I'm open to suggestions. The gaps are just a consequence of the way I placed the text, and I had them covered with clip (weird) or glass (hard to read) earlier. In general, if you have any ideas to improve the map, feel free to just post a modified map, proof of concept or geometry snippet. If it works fine, there is no need to discuss about it. I'm not much of a coop editor, but I agree, voicechat like mumble can be useful sometimes.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby bonifarz » 01 Nov 2014 15:21

Okay, I know it would be useful to have another update for this one, so it can be reviewed for inclusion and improved as needed. There's various things that can and should be tweaked, however, I am really not sure how. Some recent attempts felt like making things worse.

I tried to move the purple section a bit to leave more room for revamping the hub area - and realized that moving selected route ents (along with geometry and all other ents using the U key) will result in loss of links btw route points, so they would have to be re-dropped.

Back to the gaps in the hub, I don't know if they are bad. You can pass them with a simple jump (no boosts or kicks needed), and maybe they help to practice before doing the first boost, which is not exactly beginner friendly either.

T.l.d.r: No last minute updates from my side for now, feel free to modify and experiment. If we can get something suitable for inclusion, that would be great, if not, that is okay. It's still useful as an unofficial map.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby shirepirate » 10 Nov 2014 01:58

i think darkening the sky slightly, giving a gentle contrast behind the letters and using a more readable font improves this map. thoughts on this screenshot?
20141109205349.png

all the words would need to be redone, but some of it could use some better wording anyway. might have a little time to contribute to this, as it seems 1.5 is still not here yet.
shirepirate

Postby FaTony » 10 Nov 2014 03:55

I think hardcoding keys is a bad idea. For example, I play with arrow keys and most of the keys suggested in the map are useless.
FaTony

Postby qreeves » 10 Nov 2014 05:12

Yeah, there's gotta be something I can do or add to make these strings more readable and variable, but what?
|
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby bonifarz » 10 Nov 2014 07:55

Well, using prefabs for text instructions was just another attempt to make a tutorial work. We can still switch to gui elements, as I tried earlier in other maps, or unobtrusive textlines in the console, as it is done in escape ultima. Both would be much more flexible than the prefabs.
EDIT:
The only "new" functionality I can think of for now that could help for things like this: A command to generate on-screen text that does not interfere with mouse input, like the text you get when approaching a trigger (e.g. press E to interact) or when killing too many team mates. Such a feature could be used with triggers to show instructions that are more visible than and distinguishable from console text, but much less annoying than gui popups.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby bonifarz » 11 Nov 2014 21:47

Okay, I would like to share a proof of concept, bringing back the old lame idea of...
TutoBots :D
TutoBot.zip
In the attached map, only the bots in the hub area will have something to say, but I think all (text) instructions can be given in this way.
(1.53 MiB) Downloaded 788 times
Good idea? Terrible idea? I really don't know.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby bonifarz » 15 Nov 2014 16:53

Attachments
TutoBot.zip
Test version of Tuto for SVN. TutoBot NPCs give instructions for all sections and routes.
(1.38 MiB) Downloaded 795 times
| | | |
bonifarz

Re: Tuto (updated 14 dez)

Postby bonifarz » 14 Dec 2014 08:11

Okay, I still don't know if the pseudo-chat was a good idea. But anyway, let's include the TutoBots in a new version 0.8.
Not much has changed compared to above test version, just some tiny fixes and less geometry-based text.
| | | |
bonifarz

Re: Tuto (updated 14 dez)

Postby Honno » 23 Dec 2014 11:39

Tried it out. Liked the pseudo-chat idea- allows for more depth then keeping with just octree text. Everything else was nicely done, and I liked how you really try teaching players especially with enforcing them to vault 6 times to understand the count mechanic. I haven't tried expert yet (oh god), but couldn't find fault in anything else- good job!
Honno

Re: Tuto (updated 4 jul)

Postby bonifarz » 04 Jul 2015 13:27

Bump!

First of all, thanks to Beha for hosting a Tutorial server. I have the feeling it is somewhat popular and useful not only for beginners :)

That has drawn my attention to have another look at the map and fix a few things, including the annoying "Don't hurt me!"-sound of the TutoBots XD.
Most notably, there are now two small sections for a simple impulse boost, a very easy one to start the beginner route, and another one to learn the range of the move in the casual route. Also: No more cheating with wall-runs in the expert section ;)
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby shacknetisp » 04 Jul 2015 13:49

Updated my server.
Beha | Leader of the | |
shacknetisp

Postby swooboo » 04 Jul 2015 16:51

I love this map. The removing of the 'don't hurt me' sound was great, It was really
uncomfortable talking to the bots. I told this to you in-game Boni, but consider
triggering different voice overs (hang on!) when chatting with bots and switch
some models to female to mix things up a little.
swooboo

Postby bonifarz » 04 Jul 2015 17:07

Thanks for the server update and the feedback.

Known issue: Forgot to put death material at the new start of casual to save some falling time. Probably there will be some other thing I missed for the next small update.
Varying bots (colour, ?) could be nice. Initially, I thought of one tutobot NPC that pops up in different spots, but that does not make sense or matter since when I placed an entire bunch of them in the hub area. So yeah, they don't have to be all the same.
| | | |
bonifarz

Re: Tuto (updated 7 jul)

Postby bonifarz » 07 Jul 2015 20:27

Just a tiny update with a bit of death material and another preview image (I realize jpg only work if you have a local copy).
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby shacknetisp » 25 Sep 2015 01:53

I think this map is ready to be included in the game with a menu entry somewhere to play it offline, having a tutorial like this built in would make learning parkour much easier for beginners.
Beha | Leader of the | |
shacknetisp

Postby bonifarz » 25 Sep 2015 08:53

Thanks for your support, Beha.

With some more guidance about points that could and should be improved, I'd be willing to tweak or overhaul the map.
E.g. I'm still not sure if the overall visuals are okay and whether the many curved surfaces are problematic. *shrug*
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby bonifarz » 09 Jul 2016 14:34

I think I am going to update this one for the claw.
Yes, first update after more than a year :)

My plan is to add a claw-related move to the end of each of the four sections.
Ideas so far:
* diagonal grab climb (easy to advanced, depending on the width of the surface)
* grab demo, similar to the impulsecount/vault section, but too hard for beginners, as the angle and timing must be precise
* grab climb (probably on advanced)
* maybe something like a grab wall jump (advanced to expert)
* launch climb will be launch grab climb (expert, just raising the obstacle height)

Ideas for other claw moves are welcome!
| | | |
bonifarz

Re: Tuto (updated 7 jul 2015)

Postby bonifarz » 11 Jul 2016 20:42

Here's preview for the next update.
One new claw section on each route.
Maybe too easy?
Needs some more testing.
Attachments
tutoclaw.zip
(594.7 KiB) Downloaded 337 times
| | | |
bonifarz

Re: Tuto (updated 14 jul)

Postby bonifarz » 14 Jul 2016 16:12

I have pushed V0.9, with some small changes compared to the above preview.

I'll keep the attachment for version 0.8.2 in the topic's header, too, since some players reported they do not like the claw challenges much ;)

Personally, I had lots of fun coming up with new challenges, which actually made me realize how the claw works and for what it can be used.

Beha, feel free to use the new version on your tutorial server.
| | | |
bonifarz

Return to Maps and Mods