Switch to full style
User created maps and modifications, showcase your latest map, model, etc

Forum rules

The forum is now in read only mode, please see: https://redeclipse.net/discuss
Topic locked

Tesseract map ports

02 Nov 2017 05:45

As many of you have noticed, RE's master (development) branch is now running the Tesseract engine instead of the Cube 2 engine found in the current stable. Tesseract supports much more modern techniques and is capable of dynamic lighting, including on player models, volumetric lighting, realistic shadows, accurate mapmodel lighting, and vastly more realistic water. However, to get the full benefits of this much more modern engine, maps have to be optimized by hand to use the new features.

This thread will showcase maps which have been converted to Tesseract, since creating dozens of threads for individual map conversions would be excessive.

Guidelines for posting maps here:
  • Please use a different name than the original map for disambiguation purposes (e.g. polaris-tess)
  • Please include a map file and pack it in a .zip with no folders within (.gz/.xz confuses certain people)
  • Include pictures so we can summarily dismiss your work
  • This is for map ports of maps still in the game (Many have been removed; check GitHub for the revised map list)
[/list]

The GitHub issue for map ports is at https://github.com/red-eclipse/maps/issues/48 ; it shows which maps most need work and which ones have been finished or are currently being worked on.

Polaris:
20171101223255.png

20171101223252.png

polaris-tess.zip
(382.94 KiB) Downloaded 31 times

Error:
This map has been merged
20171101223604.png

20171101223558.png

error-tess.zip
(422.87 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Last edited by molexted on 09 Nov 2017 07:31, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Tesseract map ports

02 Nov 2017 18:58

That is something I want to join.
Here is Darkness. I removed some lights and sunlight, added some volumetric lights and changed fog colour to black.
20171102192021.jpg

20171102192050.jpg

darkness.tar.gz
cfg file was missing
(595.45 KiB) Downloaded 26 times

04 Nov 2017 06:26

Castle
The attachment 20171103232007.png is no longer available

20171103232007.png

Much,much whiter on the surface, and much better resolution on the torches.

I added some guidelines up on the first post.

Unnamed, you're supposed to make a map, not a benchmark :roll: What GPU are you running?
See about setting flag 7 to 1 (fastest, no geometry occlusion) or 2(slower than 1, static), they're all in dynamic (0) mode currently.
Attachments
20171103231751.png
castle-tess.zip
(806.76 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
Last edited by molexted on 04 Nov 2017 17:49, edited 1 time in total.

04 Nov 2017 16:13

oops, this should be the right file:
darkness.zip
(593.49 KiB) Downloaded 28 times

And here is Nova:
20171104170028.jpg

20171104170350.jpg

nova.zip
(667.78 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

06 Nov 2017 14:25

Umm good work, maps looking better a bit...and I working secretly on Cargo.. I should show some results in a few days (damn work)

09 Nov 2017 06:41

Map porting now has an issue at https://github.com/red-eclipse/maps/issues/48 ; I suggest checking against this list before starting a port, so you don't end up being redundant and making a port that someone else already did.

Error has now been merged into master; a freshly updated copy of RE now has it inplace of the buggy mess there before it.

10 Nov 2017 11:34

I added a day version of Darkness although it is dusk. However, I have no ideas for a map description.
20171110122706.jpg

20171110122724.jpg

darkness.zip
(592.18 KiB) Downloaded 25 times

12 Nov 2017 04:53

Quite a lot better performance than the first version, though you seem to have a thing for placing multiple lights in the same spot. Remember that the map has to be playable on Intel HD 3000 chips @768p; performance with volumetrics disabled should be similar to or better than Castle or Error on Tesseract, which this map misses by a factor of nearly 2. You can't be as heavy-handed with the light entities as in Cube 2, where there is no performance penalty for extra lights.

13 Nov 2017 04:10

And here are some screens of my total conversion of Cargo. Why total conversion?... just look at screens to compare (original map without porting to new engine, and my vision below)
What do you people think about that drastical change? ..please don't bite me, I just wanted to make this map better in visual terms :\

Map is ready in 70%, a few things need to be finalized, like lighting, texturing, simplyfying some geometry etc

13 Nov 2017 14:41

Dziq wrote:And here are some screens of my total conversion of Cargo. Why total conversion?... just look at screens to compare (original map without porting to new engine, and my vision below)
What do you people think about that drastical change? ..please don't bite me, I just wanted to make this map better in visual terms :\

Map is ready in 70%, a few things need to be finalized, like lighting, texturing, simplyfying some geometry etc

Please consider making the map at least a little brighter. The changes look great, and I'd like to be able to view them.

13 Nov 2017 23:40

molexted wrote:Remember that the map has to be playable on Intel HD 3000 chips @768p

why is that a thing? i know during the development for re horizon support for intel integrated graphics was abandoned/dropped for the main project as well. i say this cause taking into consideration the engine port it's a little ridiculous to expect this to be playable on intel graphics.

Dziq wrote:And here are some screens of my total conversion of Cargo. Why total conversion?... just look at screens to compare (original map without porting to new engine, and my vision below)

that actually looks very nice so far, take care with the finishing touches (and dont forget a day version). if you need to make the darker version a little more visible just raise ambient to a more acceptable level, you dont necessarily need to add more lights.

14 Nov 2017 00:35

Tesseract can pretty much run on anything with modern OpenGL support, so the only real limitation is what resolution scale you can put up with.

16 Nov 2017 16:30

@shirepirate, map looks darker now, but please keep in mind that now lighting system 'feels' differently. Even if there are some dark surfaces, that don't mean automatically that this place is dark too. Players are very visible now in such areas, lighting still goes there, glowing parts on impulse suits look awesome btw
I admit that with new theme this map looks differently to older, brown-green-red version of Cargo we used to play but still, with new lighting system it's possible to throw some live in environments, and without mismatches model/geometry light, you see more naturally whats going on, with much better depth-feeling.
;p also these screens are from day version, I just don't get around that.. since skylight is dependant on sun direction too. I was moved sun to almost top of the map but still skylight is much worse than old one (along with /blurskylight 2) :( ..anyway I still working on it, slowly but it will be interesting map to explore I think, even if layout is the same as before (~92%), so now its a little brighter and whatever, more complete day/night vars too.

Expect a first preview version to be posted in next day or two, so people can look around, feedback welcomed
Topic locked