[MAP] The Unholy platforms [REMOVED by the author]

User created maps and modifications, showcase your latest map, model, etc
Forum rules
The forum is now in read only mode, please see: https://redeclipse.net/discuss

[MAP] The Unholy platforms [REMOVED by the author]

Postby LoxForever » 22 Apr 2017 22:00

--- IMPORTANT NOTICE ---
> ENGLISH
This map will no longer be available here and will be kept in another RedEclipse fork.
Reason: RedEclipse staff does not like or support the integration of maps made by users in future versions of the game and does not have sufficient funds to continue the development of the game.
Note: content removal is a map author decision, unwillingly after weeks of discussion.
> ITALIAN
Questa mappa non sarà più disponibile qui e sarà mantenuta in un altro gioco indipendente simile a RedEclipse.
Motivazione: il personale non amministrativo di RedEclipse non gradisce nè supporta l'integrazione di mappe fatte dall'utenza nelle future versioni del gioco e non dispone di fondi sufficienti per continuare lo sviluppo del gioco.
Nota: la rimozione del contenuto è una decisione dell'autore della mappa, presa a malincuore dopo settimane di discussione. Gli utenti italiani che desiderano ulteriori chiarimenti possono contattarmi in privato, a tutela dell'immagine del progetto.
--- IMPORTANT NOTICE ---

--------------------------------------

Hello FPS lovers!
This is my 3rd public map for RE, fell free to use it in your own server and report any problem. You are also free to modify it and publish here a new/patched version.

Last update: 28/05/2017

Unholy platforms

Description (scroll down for screenshots)

Containers in a space storm, with DOOM-style atmosphere.
This is a big, funny and complex map for intermediate and experienced players or parkour lovers. Excellent parkour skills and smooth movements are required in all game modes. The map is well balanced for up to 12 players and 4 different teams: all teams have access to 2 different weapons and the map forces a varied gameplay. Users can lure enemies in environmental hazards to deal heavy damage.
This map is better with classic Quake-style mutators. ;)
This map supports bots: they will jump from platform to platform and execute kamikaze attacks to deal extreme damage to all players.
This map also supports race mode with the special onslaught mutator (only for local and friendly matches): the special trail (enable it in the Help options) will guide the user and "ghost" objects will blink to indicate the next checkpoint.

Screenshots

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Supported modes

This map supports all game modes and offers all weapons.

ALIAS - MODE (DIFFICULTY)

* DM - Deathmatch (Easy) / Deathmatch with Classic mutator (Hard)
* DAC - Defend and control (Hard)
* CTF - Capture the Flag (Hard)
* BB - Bomber ball (Hard)
* Race - Race (Very easy) / Race with Onslaught mutator (Normal)

(the difficulty is for 4 teams without bots)

Technical requirements, credits and DOWNLOAD

This map uses texture occlusion and has in-game fog and to allow a fair gameplay between player with different hardware resources.
Disable dynamic lights and complex geometry to boost your FPS.

Tips and tricks: use a wide FOV to avoid ambushes; use a small FOV for deadly shotgun attacks.

Download now:

Revision 1 (NEW VERSION):
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

Revision 0 (ORIGINAL - OBSOLETE):

Have fun!
Last edited by LoxForever on 01 Oct 2017 10:32, edited 2 times in total.
LoxForever

Re: [MAP] The Unholy platforms

Postby molexted » 24 Apr 2017 02:40

I looked at the map, and here are some observations:
  • Changes in gravity are generally considered annoying (the only official map included with low gravity, oneiroi, is rarely played due to its low gravity)
  • In DM/CTF/BB the map is way too open, and in the low gravity rifles will absolutely dominate.
  • The orange fog seems to me a strange contrast with the green background (which does look nice, by the way)
  • There are no lights even though the background has light sources. For information about lighting, consider looking at http://redeclipse.net/wiki/Lighting
  • In race, without the assistance of route markers, there is no indication of the correct path. Consider using race-only mapmodels to indicate the correct path for people who don't want to use route markers.
  • It is customary to provide an unadulterated picture as the title image of a map.
  • Consider zipping your map without putting the map files in a folder; this will allow people to view it without unzipping.

P.S. While the learning curve for mapping may be steep at times, stick with it! My first maps (which you can see on the back pages of this forum) are far inferior to my newer ones. With patience and practice, you'll have maps worthy of inclusion into the game before you know it.
Full disclaimer: I own an Opteron.
molexted

Postby LoxForever » 24 Apr 2017 18:18

Hello molexted,
molexted wrote:[*]In race, without the assistance of route markers, there is no indication of the correct path. Consider using race-only mapmodels to indicate the correct path for people who don't want to use route markers.

No, in Race Mode the next active checkpoint is indicated by blinking lamp posts. :D
This was made on purpose: you can win race mode very easily, but to offer a funny game-play, players must notice (only) the next blinking lamp post.

molexted wrote:
  • Changes in gravity are generally considered annoying (the only official map included with low gravity, oneiroi, is rarely played due to its low gravity)
  • In DM/CTF/BB the map is way too open, and in the low gravity rifles will absolutely dominate.

I'm sorry for that, but that was the inspiration and there is no immediate solution. :roll:

There are some quick tips to avoid a brutal death:
  • The map is meant to offer a low-gravity environment and players that camp will be killed very quickly by shotguns or sticky grenades.
  • If you die too often, exercise with parkour and long jumps to avoid long-ranged weapons and use sticky grenades to "conquer" distant platforms.
  • This is not an exercise of pure skill, you must choose your moves wisely but never stay on one platform for more than 5 seconds.
  • This is not meant to be an easy map: if your adversary uses a long-ranged weapon, rush towards him using the platforms as a shield.
  • You can also lure them in environmental hazards, like the flames under each platform. If they touch the flame for 2 seconds or more half of their life will be depleted.
  • The flamethrower and the electric gun are lethal in this map, because they slow down the movement and reveal the enemy position (look for health drain effects!).

molexted wrote:
  • The orange fog seems to me a strange contrast with the green background (which does look nice, by the way)
  • There are no lights even though the background has light sources. For information about lighting, consider looking at http://redeclipse.net/wiki/Lighting

• No my friend: the map contains triggered lights under the platforms. This is intentional. To offer a balanced game-play both the fog and the reduced number of lights will make long-ranged weapons less effective.
    If you seek maps with happier themes, my other maps (search this section of the forum) have many lights and are easier.
    For The Unholy platforms, just send me a screenshot of the areas that are too dark (in your opinion) and I will make a new version with better lighting. The difficult task is inserting them without killing the atmosphere. ;)

molexted wrote:
  • It is customary to provide an unadulterated picture as the title image of a map.
  • Consider zipping your map without putting the map files in a folder; this will allow people to view it without unzipping.
  • P.S. While the learning curve for mapping may be steep at times, stick with it! My first maps (which you can see on the back pages of this forum) are far inferior to my newer ones. With patience and practice, you'll have maps worthy of inclusion into the game before you know it.

This is my 3rd map for RE and I will not create more than 5 maps. After that number I will return to the old maps and enhance them or make spinoffs.
    I've already included unadulterated pictures of the map in the topic. The in-game map thumbnail is meant to grab user's attention and is adulterated on purpose, but this does not necessarily deceive the user. My map, my style. :P
    Developers and modders are free to edit and redistribute my maps and even include them in the game for free if they wish. Of course they can replace the map image if they feel evil. :mrgreen:
    LoxForever

Postby bonifarz » 24 Apr 2017 20:11

None of us would be eeevul enough to replace a map image :shock:

As you may guess, I really like race maps, and even boring platforms can be so much fun in race (e.g. there was once a map with exactly one hundred of them in different sizes). But at least you should check your start and finish points, two basic jumps are not exactly a race path.
    bonifarz

Postby LoxForever » 25 Apr 2017 15:15

bonifarz wrote:As you may guess, I really like race maps, and even boring platforms can be so much fun in race (e.g. there was once a map with exactly one hundred of them in different sizes). But at least you should check your start and finish points, two basic jumps are not exactly a race path.

This is not a Race map, but a CTF map with the added support for friendly races (eg. the time has only a meaning for you). As stated before, you can follow any path you want, but the right path is indicated by the blinking lamp posts. You can view the "cheating" users from Spectator mode and from their best lap time, which is recorded permanently. ;)
    Activating the Onslaught Race will slightly increase the difficulty level of the race mode.
    LoxForever

Postby LoxForever » 28 May 2017 16:49

Update
    This update is based on the requests of "molexted" and brings important graphics improvements and better performance.
    Upgrade is recommended and should improve your gaming experience.

Revision 1
    Changelog:
    • Feature: blendmaps for blood;
    • Feature: antennas on the decorative platforms;
    • Feature: holographic RE logo;
    • Feature: noclip material for better performance.
    • Bugfix: missing sunlight;
    • Bugfix: shadows under holographic lamp posts (holograms should not have a shadow);
    • Bugfix: incomplete texture occlusion;
    • Bugfix: inappropriate textures on platform sides;
    • Bugfix: removed useless platform (was too far to be seen clearly);
    • Bugfix: hierarchy of the release archive was too deep to allow automatic extraction.
    Not all changes are listed in the changelog, download and test the map to discover more. ;)

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

DOWNLOAD NOW:
    Quest[size=150]--- IMPORTANT NOTICE ---

> ENGLISH
    This map will no longer be available here and will be kept in another RedEclipse fork.
    Reason: RedEclipse staff does not like or support the integration of maps made by users in future versions of the game and does not have sufficient funds to continue the development of the game.
    Note: content removal is a map author decision, unwillingly after weeks of discussion.
    > ITALIAN
    Questa mappa non sarà più disponibile qui e sarà mantenuta in un altro gioco indipendente simile a RedEclipse.
    Motivazione: il personale non amministrativo di RedEclipse non gradisce nè supporta l'integrazione di mappe fatte dall'utenza nelle future versioni del gioco e non dispone di fondi sufficienti per continuare lo sviluppo del gioco.
    Nota: la rimozione del contenuto è una decisione dell'autore della mappa, presa a malincuore dopo settimane di discussione. Gli utenti italiani che desiderano ulteriori chiarimenti possono contattarmi in privato, a tutela dell'immagine del progetto.
    --- IMPORTANT NOTICE ---
    LoxForever

Return to Maps and Mods