[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Red Eclipse • View topic - [MAP] Castle

[MAP] Castle

User created maps and modifications, showcase your latest map, model, etc
Forum rules
The forum is now in read only mode, please see: https://redeclipse.net/discuss

[MAP] Castle

Postby FaTony » 05 Feb 2014 13:18

Attachments
20131227080411.png
castle.zip
(1.14 MiB) Downloaded 430 times
20141108064043.png
Last edited by FaTony on 08 Nov 2014 03:44, edited 3 times in total.
FaTony

Re: [MAP] Castle

Postby SylvieLorxu » 05 Feb 2014 13:39

Although the art direction just screams Sauerbraten, the map itself is fairly decent. Every place can be reached with merely a simple jump, and most places don't even require that. Using REs walljumping does, however, give a serious movement advantage.

The corriders are small, but may be just large enough, especially for a map meant for duels. I have little experience in judging this. My main disappointment is that it is really only a deathmatch map, but perhaps it could shine there for up to 4 players.
SylvieLorxu / TheLastProject | Global Administrator, Red Eclipse | Signature thief
SylvieLorxu

Postby freezurbern » 06 Feb 2014 11:24

I remember playing this on a server, it wasn't bad. I think it works out well for small deathmatch games, a welcome choice compared to some of the huge maps.

I agree with TLP that it does seem very Sauerbraten, but I'm not sure how else you'd make a castle look Red Eclipse-eyy
freezurbern

Postby qreeves » 07 Feb 2014 01:18

The bright red contrast of the carpet is probably off-putting to most people, and possibly why it seems Sauerbraten-ish.
Quinton Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse
|
Contribute to Project Costs via or
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby FaTony » 05 Mar 2014 06:11

FaTony

Postby Sakrecoer » 08 May 2014 11:45

I like this map alot. Keep in mind i'm n00b, be it mapping or playing. I like the fact it has good prakour possibilities, and the layers of floors are well contected. I wish it would be textured with something more cyberpunk and dirty, but i think that is a pure matter of taste. The only negative feedback about it i have is: the bots keep winning over me. ;) but i doubt it has so much with the map to do... :D
Sakrecoer

Postby FaTony » 30 Sep 2014 02:34

FaTony

Postby JDWhyte » 21 Oct 2014 00:29

Red Carpet Treatment... :)
JDWhyte

Postby FaTony » 08 Nov 2014 03:47

FaTony

Postby FaTony » 27 Jun 2015 20:21

So apparently, the map currently looks like this:

Looks like it was done by shirepirate, please revert it back to the acerspyro version.
FaTony

Postby shirepirate » 27 Jun 2015 21:05

the lighting in this map (especially outdoors) was sort of a mess, the bright white light from the torches did not contrast well at all with the lighting world variables. it looks remarkably better to blend these sources of light closer to each other. that said, if you have an idea on how this could be done differently take a stab at it (it's your map after all), but lets not revert it back to the mess that it was with different colored splotches of light everywhere outside. after all, why would fire torches shine a light without some sort of tint to it?

EDIT: here are two images to compare what i'm talking about. which looks better?
20150627171810.png
20150627171953.png
shirepirate

Postby freezurbern » 27 Jun 2015 21:34

freezurbern

Postby shirepirate » 27 Jun 2015 21:39

shirepirate

Postby blakthunder » 28 Jun 2015 00:14

Of the two, I think I like the first one more, the yellow light version looks washed out. I do like the shadows it has, however.
blakthunder

Postby shirepirate » 28 Jun 2015 00:57

shirepirate

Postby SniperGoth » 28 Jun 2015 02:04

The Yellow version looks quite bad. It's too uniform.
Ex Iron fist level designer/ Ex Revelade Revolution level designer, 3d/2d artist, and still trying to figure out sound design...
SniperGoth

Postby qreeves » 28 Jun 2015 02:38

I'd say the original version was OK, just the skybox was a bit too bright for the lighting (and lack of shadows). I think changing the environment to suit the lighting would be better than the other way around in this particular case.
|
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby shirepirate » 28 Jun 2015 03:13

i'll take a look and see if it can be brought back closer to the original color scheme without the contrasting lights it had before (white here, yellow there, shadows pointing in opposite directions, etc). if anything the engine makes environment highly adaptable with all the world variables and entities at disposal.

my intention was never to take a shit on your well-designed map, but from the moment i walked around it i found the lightmap to be rather ugly and in need of change. i can realize that the changes were not what you were going for at all though, and will try something else that we might find a happy medium.
shirepirate

Postby FaTony » 28 Jun 2015 12:29

Just keep the light from torches. They are there to light the map. Also, ambient light should be default or so.
FaTony

Postby shirepirate » 29 Jun 2015 02:55

shirepirate

Postby restcoser » 29 Jun 2015 09:58

Okay, im going to state how i would do this :P

yes, the yellow version looks washed out. this is because it has little contrast. in order to generate contrast there, you need a blue skylight with the orange-yellow sun and some blue-purple relativly dark fog.
the castle version im looking at now (not sure what version that is lol, just the one i have in game here, i suppose latest stable release version :D) needs some contrast in that way, and it needs the torches brighter or lit at all, every torch needs a light or else it looks a bit strange.
Id also make the flames a bit slower and make them fade out slower, this can be easily tweaked with the RE particle system :P and maybe a bit denser.

The version shire posted is overly grey on the sunlight, even though the blue sunlight gives a good contrast with the yellow torches, the blue is too weak to have any good effect and does not fit the skybox at all. in order to work with shires lighting, imho you need a different skybox.
his torches are nice, but overall too yellow and would need to be a bit more orange to fit closer to the source.

in all versions i think it is odd that light shines through a spotlight onto the portal, and not the portal shining out, in testing for me it looked better when the light was placed dead center very close to the portal surface and the spotlight removed.

[if you want to go for a dark gloomy atmosphere, you would need a different skybox, say penguins/divine and that skybox would give you a purple-black fog and skylight and a small, relativly dim slightly yellow sunlight. i tested this, and it looked ok, but very different and im not sure if that is the direction fatony wants to take it]

quickedit: i did some testing on the stable version to try and un-wash it :D what worked best for me is to make the ambient more blue, the skylight a bluish-purple and tune the fog back a bit or make it dark blue, i had 0x3a3540 for /fogcolour
restcoser

Postby freezurbern » 29 Jun 2015 12:12

By the way,don't forget you can change the skybox with the <mad> symbol, for instance to darken it.
freezurbern

Postby qreeves » 29 Jun 2015 12:58

|
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby freezurbern » 29 Jun 2015 22:31

freezurbern

Postby shirepirate » 29 Jun 2015 22:53

shirepirate

Postby SniperGoth » 30 Jun 2015 02:23

The biggest problem, for me, on Castle, was it's torch's light.
The torch is orange, but the light it emits is almost total white. Made no sense...
Im going to do a little edit on it to see if i can get a nice result.
Ex Iron fist level designer/ Ex Revelade Revolution level designer, 3d/2d artist, and still trying to figure out sound design...
SniperGoth

Postby qreeves » 30 Jun 2015 03:16

|
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby shirepirate » 30 Jun 2015 03:28

shirepirate

Postby restcoser » 30 Jun 2015 10:04

This is the only offender of light overlap that i could find. Needless to say, it is not too big, and is removed by toning down the light from 75 to 70 easily.
20150630112143.png
Portal-Torch Overlap?

I was able to tell the difference easily (i knew the light was not at the source and then went into editmode to look atit, the portals didnt look like they "emitted" a bright enough light) I might be more sensitive to it though because i <3 lighting, but given the barebones conflicts I don't see why not to change it.

That said, the difference isn't that big and i can live with it, because especially if youd tone the torches up then you might get some more conflicts (im looking at shires version here)

If i understand correctly, what was mostly criticized about the new lighting was the indoor lighting not matching and it still doesn't, the contrast range displayed (for example in his first post) is bigger than what i could see in the new version, and if the lights in his original version were made more colourful i'd easily prefer them.
Getting this more contrasty-look is easily done by decreasing the overly grey ambient (the blue on the ambient is de facto not noticeable)
20150630113530.png
the latest version posted here by shire.

The version i would prefer the most is in the third screenshot, pretty dark, blue ambient. (giving the lights the chance to actually cast any significant shadow)
This creates a nive contrast imho, even if its a bit too noticeable on the near pillars. (the distance looks washed out because the fog is already affecting it)
20150630114504.png
personal idea

In any case, a darker ambient would create a more moody sad atmosphere, probably closer to what fatony originally wanted. (and in my opinion it looks better)
adding a ton of bots showed me that red eclipse has good ways of making players stand out, and even in the darkest areas visibility was not afffected for me (i usually play with gamma 130, but with any form of mapping or testing i go to 100)

The first post about how lighting could be was just how i would do it, i dont find any of the versions posted here ideal (then again, im VERY picky :D)
(Maybe i should just post my own version?)
restcoser

Postby SniperGoth » 30 Jun 2015 13:58

SniperGoth

Postby FaTony » 01 Jul 2015 18:27

I'm sticking with acerspyro version. Go nuts, guys.
FaTony

Postby shirepirate » 01 Jul 2015 19:22

shirepirate

Postby bonifarz » 02 Jul 2015 09:01

| | | |
bonifarz

Postby freezurbern » 02 Jul 2015 12:16

freezurbern

Postby bonifarz » 02 Jul 2015 14:46

Sorry, that statement was clearly wrong. Evidently, there is even some comment explaining why exactly it was not merged. I just liked the screenshots and did not mean to cause confusion. Hope you guys find a good way to get the best of those map versions without much effort.
| | | |
bonifarz

Postby FaTony » 27 Jul 2015 13:17

Whoever messed with castle last time wins big props from me. Nice work.
FaTony

Return to Maps and Mods