[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Red Eclipse • View topic - Project Idea: Pro Trailer

Project Idea: Pro Trailer

All posts that don't fit into another category, discuss ideas and other things
Forum rules
The forum is now in read only mode, please see: https://redeclipse.net/discuss

Poll ended at 26 May 2014 11:15

20%
80%
No votes

Total votes : 15

Project Idea: Pro Trailer

Postby qreeves » 12 May 2014 11:15

Attachments
retention.png
Audience retention (Absolute and Relative)
Quinton Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse
|
Contribute to Project Costs via or
qreeves
Site Admin

Re: Project Idea: Pro Trailer

Postby freezurbern » 12 May 2014 12:50

I think this is a great idea, and would love to see a kick ass trailer for the 1.5 release. (Could you make those coincide?) The game as come a long way, especially these slick new GUI updates, and the weapon balancing (which i bitched about a lot, honestly).

If you do this, I think it would be just as important to spread the word about the funding campaign as it has been to shout out that there is a new release.
freezurbern

Postby Honno » 12 May 2014 16:45

Some voluntarily-watched trailer on youtube doesn't get players, however kick-ass it is, because it's just there. It would strengthen articles/tweets/etc. about the game (in that people will be more inclined to try the game) and give youtubers some source material- not directly get you coverage, so right now not worth the money.

Want noriety? Add Minecraft map importing.

imo
Honno

Postby SniperGoth » 12 May 2014 17:09

Ex Iron fist level designer/ Ex Revelade Revolution level designer, 3d/2d artist, and still trying to figure out sound design...
SniperGoth

Postby BobFromReboot » 12 May 2014 17:58

This is a great idea and I think could expand RE's popularity quite a bit. Has there ever been an effort to get RE on Steam Greenlight? Steam supports all three platforms RE is on now so it could potentially add a lot of new players.
BobFromReboot

Postby freezurbern » 12 May 2014 18:16

freezurbern

Postby BobFromReboot » 12 May 2014 20:06

Interesting, I can't think of a reason not to do it.
BobFromReboot

Postby shirepirate » 13 May 2014 01:56

god i hate steam so much.. to me it seems like the equivalent of either an independent or community effort "selling out" to become more popular, regardless if there is profit involved or not.

what an exorbitant fee for a game trailer. i suppose if it brings in more players it's worth it, but when i want to see what a game is about i just search youtube for actual gameplay footage. if something is good enough it does spread by word of mouth (i've already brought a few of my friends to the game, and a friend brought me to the game), but i guess every extra little bit of attention RE can get will help it flourish.

i'd try to hit on some "hard selling" points in the trailer, that will likely attract the most people (while showing game footage or whatever, the lamest thing in a game trailer is solely words on the screen).

there is no need to register an account or provide an email address (though this should be made much easier than it is eventually, including player profiles and maybe stats).

the game's engine is optimized for slightly slower connection speeds.

the game is addicting (very, very addicting for some).

it is free and always will be, with (i'm assuming here) no advertising of any kind.

that and some "testimonials" should reel in a larger crowd (people don't really care who the testimonials are from, they could be from anyone, they just want to know what others are saying about the game).

perhaps you could appeal to a slightly younger crowd even, if you made it easier to disable the gore. who knows. thousands of parents love to see what is in a game's content before they let their kid play.
shirepirate

Postby qreeves » 13 May 2014 03:35

I agree the price is very steep, even with the discount. Is this maybe something we can do collaboratively? If we can draw up a storyboard and capture some nice footage, I can probably find a way to piece it together myself; I just need the help. I'll update the poll.

The reason I am against Greenlight is because I know it won't work with our current level of notoriety, and I have watched as Indie developers fell to the same problems that I concluded would happen when it was first launched. Yes, there's been talk from Valve about moving toward a more open "App store", at which point they will likely decommission Greenlight, we may as well wait for that and save ourselves the heartache.
Quinton Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse
|
Contribute to Project Costs via or
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby acerspyro » 13 May 2014 12:39

Maybe ADs would do the job... If you go to a school / public place / conference with gamers in it (ESPECIALLY if there are Linux gamers), show them the game. It would greatly help the player count go up. I advertised at my school, and they liked it.
*screams internally*
acerspyro

Postby SniperGoth » 13 May 2014 16:04

Ex Iron fist level designer/ Ex Revelade Revolution level designer, 3d/2d artist, and still trying to figure out sound design...
SniperGoth

Postby Bobbo » 13 May 2014 22:41

I just gave the trailer a watch (never saw it before).

My comments, if you care, which would be good to bear in mind in future:
On the website, the video size is very small, makes it hard to read text/see what's going on.
The video isn't 1080p (is 720, though). Iirc there's an element/attribute tag thing to make a YouTube video be in HD by default, turning that on would be good.
The video wasn't recorded at maximum graphical settings (or they've improved since the video and before I started playing).

The text at the start is good, except it's not where it should be chronologically. That sort of thing you want to chuck into the middle after you've shown some pro fragging and that title splash.
The agile game play at the end was a nice inclusion, wasn't anything particularly fancy, like the rest of the footage. You should use this section to either watch a person do parkour in spectator or have that person do it in third person. RE feels much faster in TP than FP. I'll be happy to jump around on ubik or another good parkour map to show that off in a new one if you wanted.
Basically all of the video was in first person. While it's good to show game play footage, we also have third person view, and you'll be able to show more heated fire fights using a spectator to watch 3 or more people fight.
Bobbo

Postby SniperGoth » 13 May 2014 23:54

I think a good idea would be of getting great frags from demos, selecting the best and mixing them for the trailer.
Also, showing a bit more of the customization (variables, map editor etc ) would be good too.
SniperGoth

Postby Bobbo » 14 May 2014 00:13

Bobbo

Postby freezurbern » 14 May 2014 00:53

I think we should start a forum topic for demos of really nice gameplay, like SniperGoth mentioned.
freezurbern

Postby BobFromReboot » 14 May 2014 17:54

I've never recorded video of gameplay before, I would like to try and gather some good footage but I have some questions.

What is some good, free, video recording software for all the available platforms RE is on?

How do you go third person in the development version..

One more random question, were melee attacks on the ground removed? I've never been able to do it, only kick midair.
BobFromReboot

Postby SniperGoth » 14 May 2014 18:36

SniperGoth

Postby BobFromReboot » 14 May 2014 19:19

@SniperGoth Thanks!

I think a good idea would be to record the same match, from spectator mode, and first person from the individual player views. This would give enough footage to be stitched together to demonstrate the game play possibilities that RE offers, as opposed to other similar FPS games. You could show a player going into a slide in first person for example and then coming out of it in spectator mode and booting another character halfway through the maneuver.
BobFromReboot

Postby SniperGoth » 19 May 2014 17:14

Maybe this could be used in the trailer?

Here's the demo of the match(there's a kamikaze kill in the beginning, a mid-air sticky grenade kill by the middle of the match and the scene from youtube by the end): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/773 ... -reset.dmo
SniperGoth

Postby freezurbern » 19 May 2014 21:38

freezurbern

Postby Bobbo » 19 May 2014 21:43

Bobbo

Postby SniperGoth » 19 May 2014 22:26

I think the death barrier up there was left on purpose by luckystrike. I discovered it some time ago, by throwing the flag high up to see where it goes and.. a death barrier was there.
Without it there, the flag reset would'nt be that hard to do too. Throw it up/out of the map and it's done.
Maybe i should had recorded the grenade trickshot i made in the middle of the match instead :v .
Oh, and the custom sounds are by myself, if anyone's wondering.
SniperGoth

Postby blakthunder » 25 May 2014 00:50

blakthunder

Postby Ndot » 07 Jul 2014 17:23

For the next trailer I would consider some scene to be recorded with a free camera following one player.
This would be more suitable to showcase all the parkour tricks that you can do in RE.

Showcasing parkour in first person (like in the trailer) doesn't not fully render the awesomeness of Red Eclipse, because you can't really see what's going on.
N. on servers
Ndot

Postby SniperGoth » 07 Jul 2014 23:38

SniperGoth

Postby Silux » 09 Jul 2014 21:26

The trailer is pretty good!

I did get to know about Red Eclipse just because it's name. I was searching for Eclipse the IDE, and this game was the second result.
Bonus points for being open source, light-weight and configurable.
It plays really nice even in old laptops with a good graphic and i had lots of fun just with the config file.
With some edits in the config file i managed to add macros for
-add lots of bots(100+)
- 0 gravity space-like battles
-slow and fasten time in offline play
-modify and restore weapons, letting me to create a new weapons with custom stats and flavor
-rebind key commands at runtime, so that you can use only the keyboard
-funny pranks switching keyboard bindings
And let's not forget the HUGE amount of variables you could modify at runtime without even getting started with the code!
If i would make a description it would be: "Red Eclipse, the hacker's free ninja FPS"!
Silux

Postby Calinou » 17 Jul 2014 08:45

Calinou

Postby Evropi » 17 Jul 2014 12:38

Evropi

Postby Calinou » 18 Jul 2014 08:48

Calinou

Postby RoH » 21 Jul 2014 22:21

Hey guy. A buddy and I just discovered your game while hunting for something to get our chops back for the new Ut release. I do have a few suggestions even though I have barely played and am not a marketing expert at all. I can however bring you some insight from a "hardcore" gamer.

You definitely 100% need montages/frag videos more than you ever need a trailer. Most gamers I know YouTube a frag vid to see just how exciting the game can be before they even consider downloading a game trailer or not. So getting some of your better players to record some footage and get it edited would be very very beneficial seeing as how I couldn't find much on YouTube in my research.

Also if you know any good streamers who are big supporters of indie games getting some air time with them could be absolutely huge! While I will most likely begin streaming this game my tiny viewership will be of little use.

Appealing to the competetive crowd is also pretty big. As names develop they get more people interested! Especially since this game closely resembles two huge arena shooters and there is no good current one around. Small teams with objectives that encourage strategy while retaining game speed and fluidity are tons of fun to watch and play!

Any way take that wall of opinion with a grain of salt. I've never so much as designed a map for a game. Bottom line though a trailer is mostly likely going to be a waste of resources that could instead be used on further game development!
RoH

Postby ShaneRoach » 20 May 2016 23:23

While I support a trailer, I had originally hoped people would start out making videos and posting them for fun. Over time, you can collect enough footage to make a nice trailer or frag video if you like.

One thing to understand is YouTube degrades the quality of your video, so if you want an archive it would be worth having space set aside perhaps even on RE's github to store the actual videos in original quality for later re-editing into trailer/frag highlight quality. On the other hand, if you leave the video available for re-edit by sharing it cc, I believe anyone can come along and re-edit it without losing FURTHER quality after the re-edit.

You just don't want to upload, download, upload, download is the key.

Having an already established YouTuber or Twitch personality on board would be the bomb. Not sure who I would suggest though. I've seen Star and Jerma play a handful of indie games, and they both cut their chops on TF2 and are currently transitioning to Overwatch.

I am just now coming to understand the whole difference between casual and competitive gaming, and neither of these guys is competitive, though Star seems to border on being competitive.

I d'know. Just random thoughts. The thing to do is have FUN, and somehow express that fun in the videos. Some of the things even professional YouTubers and Twitch streamers do is just make dumb jokes. It's important to have fun. Games are supposed to be fun.....

P.S. How did this thing end up on my recent posts list? I just resurrected something from 2014?
They're bugs, Wyatt. All that smart talk about live and let live. There ain't no live and let live with bugs.
- Morgan Earp, "Tombstone"
ShaneRoach

Return to General Discussion