[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Red Eclipse • View topic - A way to make destroyables work.

A way to make destroyables work.

All posts that don't fit into another category, discuss ideas and other things
Forum rules
The forum is now in read only mode, please see: https://redeclipse.net/discuss

A way to make destroyables work.

Postby SniperGoth » 08 Feb 2014 13:16

So, i was thinking here on how destroyables could be implemented, and came up with this:

The turret, if you decide to set it as melee only, scale 200, it becomes an sort of wall/remote bomb, if you think about it.
My idea is: Someone makes an wall like model, quin gets the turret's code, brings it for the "wall/bomb/destroyable" actor, sets it for melee only, and changes it to face one direction only.
Then, in-game, you will see a sort of wall thing. If you shoot it, it gets destroyed, or it gets scaled down to 0, like it happens with the normal turret, debris fall, so the player can pass through the obstacle.

It could be spawned in non-onslaught matches.

Opinnions?
Ex Iron fist level designer/ Ex Revelade Revolution level designer, 3d/2d artist, and still trying to figure out sound design...
SniperGoth

Re: A way to make destroyables work.

Postby SylvieLorxu » 08 Feb 2014 19:24

Reusing the actor code for health would probably be the easiest way to make destroyables work. I would assume quin to have already thought about this, but just being able to set a "health" option on models sounds like the simples solution for users, even though it may still feel out of place (as it won't look like "normal" walls, etc.)
SylvieLorxu / TheLastProject | Global Administrator, Red Eclipse | Signature thief
SylvieLorxu

Postby stroEkris » 11 Feb 2014 22:34

Using health for static meshes to emulate destruction. Hmmm, maybe it is possible to create breakable glass? Probably, but the glass would have to be a static mesh, not material.
The problem with this is that static meshes have this different "shade" to them. They do not receive shadows from map geometry, mapmodels/static meshes and themselves. They look out of place because of this.
Most of those game engines which use lightmapping can store the lightmaps into the static meshes as well. Cube 2 engine can't do it unfortunately. :(
Here, let me show you what I am talking about:
20140212002832.png
Last edited by stroEkris on 12 Feb 2014 12:54, edited 1 time in total.
stroEkris

Postby Ac1dBuRn » 11 Feb 2014 23:04

Looking at the picture I thought: but what if "destroyed" object could generate on the impact point a "particle" which make a "faux" shadow overlay?
Or could be the lightmap of the map with the "already broken item" be generated "under" the object? Pardon my blasphemy, I've discovered RE only recently.
«...to win is not the matter, but it is to remember who we are...»
Ac1dBuRn

Postby unixfreak » 12 Feb 2014 13:47

unixfreak

Postby restcoser » 12 Feb 2014 16:37

...which was unfortunately abandoned in favor of hardware compability and development time efficiency.
Well, I will still dream it will arrive someday :P maybe a 2.0 option *-*
restcoser

Postby stroEkris » 12 Feb 2014 19:24

stroEkris

Postby restcoser » 12 Feb 2014 21:30

restcoser

Postby qreeves » 12 Feb 2014 22:41

I am not a "programmer", I know barely enough to enable the work I do, which is mostly just gameplay logic and tweaks. All other reasons aside, I would never be able to port to Tesseract without having to start from scratch, as the codebases are incompatible.
Quinton Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse
|
Contribute to Project Costs via or
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby Ulukai » 13 Feb 2014 12:31

Destroyables would be great, but I think it will be very difficult if not impossible to have them work with the calculated lightmap. Either we need destroyables without any form of shadow, or can it be done in the same way as the player shadow is cast?
Ulukai

Postby SniperGoth » 13 Feb 2014 15:53

No need to make things complex. Just use the normal player's shadow style for the "wall".
It's like i said, wall actor's health gets to zero, gets scaled down to 0, then debris fall. Simple as that.
Ex Iron fist level designer/ Ex Revelade Revolution level designer, 3d/2d artist, and still trying to figure out sound design...
SniperGoth

Postby Greaserpirate2 » 13 Feb 2014 19:03

Some of my maps:

..will be updated soon ;)
Greaserpirate2

Postby qreeves » 14 Feb 2014 00:49

|
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby acerspyro » 14 Mar 2014 00:22

Why not just make Cube 2 evolve to make it become tesseract-like (Hence making Cube 3)
*screams internally*
acerspyro

Postby qreeves » 14 Mar 2014 04:07

Cube Engine 2 will eventually see upgrades to newer OpenGL contexts, etc. So, it isn't quite dead yet (and RE), and it seems to suit our purposes anyway.
|
qreeves
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion