Switch to full style
All posts that don't fit into another category, discuss ideas and other things

Forum rules

The forum is now in read only mode, please see: https://redeclipse.net/discuss
Topic locked

Contributing

07 Nov 2017 21:30

RE is a wonderful game with a great community and players who give back to the game. I have been playing the game for a couple years now, and I feel that I should show appreciation for this game and the community by contributing. Thing is, I don't know where to start and I don't have much skills. I have little to none when it comes to programming skills. I don't think I have the creative skill to make good maps. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Re: Contributing

08 Nov 2017 01:07

Off top of my head:

-You could learn to create models on Blender, it isn't that hard and in less than 1 year you could be creating some good quality ones.
-You could promote the game around the net. Maybe creating videos or posting about the game on forums.

Or you could donate money to Quin and the team, but i don't know if they have a Patreon or something similar (i think Quin has a paypal account but it's better to ask him).

Re: Contributing

08 Nov 2017 01:44

This is a question I get a lot, and there's not really one right answer for everyone. Generally, I encourage all sorts of contribution, even if it is just helping new people playing the game.

Considering the whole point of the original engine was easy mapping, this is probably a good thing to start learning. In fact, v2.0 is going to require us to re-do every map, so now's the perfect time to get on board with that as there will be a lot of people re-learning how to map with the new renderer in mind. This creates an opportunity to actually learn from everyone and ask questions you normally wouldn't be able to during the quieter times of the project. Picking an existing map that no-one else is currently fixing is probably a good entry point for mapping, you don't need to be great at mapping, you just need to do the import procedure because most of the artsy stuff is already done and it just becomes more of a technical challenge.

I do have methods for monetary donation as well. I'm on Disability, so my income isn't great, but the time that gives me is what allows me to put so much into the project. To be honest, I'm happy with that compromise because I love what I do, and I can do it when I'm feeling up to it. If you really want to donate money (and I'm not telling anyone they have to or anything, it's all about appreciation) there are links in my signature for this.

Other things that could use more people is documentation and social media. I know documentation is boring, and we have enough to get by, the big one here is social media. I'm not particularly good at writing up stuff all the time, preferring to work on code and other features for the game. I could use help managing the social media accounts and creating videos to showcase the project and provide news updates. I'm not sure what anyone can offer here, but if someone can help create outlines at stuff for videos I can collaborate with them to produce it. Even if you just have clips and stuff you need stuck together, I can do the editing and posting to the channel.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. The community might have more ideas.
Topic locked