There are other fps's and RE can be erratic in this topic aswell.
On other fps's you can hide, or take cover and chat for a bit, with almost no danger at all because the enemy is far enough and no sniper can hit me in cover.
On RE, that's also possible, some few maps allow for effective cover or even hiding spots, that will viabilize chatting with no danger. Unfortunatly, on most maps/gamemods, the opponents can either cross the map in seconds, or use the radar to find the last survivor.
It's a fast-paced game, and on some occasions we are lead to think we have 3 seconds to reply to chat and then mid-typing we get interrupted.
Im not in favour of a chatkilling rule, because as it was stated already, players could use an insta-shield and the players would abuse the system, naturally.
I fancy Bobbo's idea, removing the chat icon except for non-spectators, because it would end with chatkills.
On the other hand the game would go silent, and I admit I kinda enjoy the chatroom.
Not sure if chatkilling is an actual problem, but here's some other ideas to try to help solve this
- pressing for chat will not work unless player is in spectator
- pressing for chat will make you go to spectate
- chatkilling is barbaricaly nerfed, the points for fragging a chatter are reduced by 9/10
- longer time intervals between rounds, for chatters to chat
- a bigger chat icon, so chatkillers can be more hasty in chatkilling
- an un-official guideline, for shortening chat using acronyms, like instead of "get the flag here" the guide would suggest using "f here" (or something else less suggestive)