[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Red Eclipse • View topic - I am rewriting the source code

I am rewriting the source code

All posts that don't fit into another category, discuss ideas and other things
Forum rules
The forum is now in read only mode, please see: https://redeclipse.net/discuss

I am rewriting the source code

Postby Norakam » 20 Dec 2016 13:02

Norakam

Re: I am rewriting the source code

Postby FaTony » 20 Dec 2016 13:26

I was waiting for change of multiplayer guidelines to start modding a server. The 1 problem I see is that there's no specification of the network protocol, so I wanted to keep original code in place but add a C++ API on top of it.
FaTony

Postby Iceflower » 20 Dec 2016 22:15

I know my English is cruel. :$
When I talk rubbish correct me.
Iceflower

Postby acerspyro » 20 Dec 2016 22:41

80 characters is actually a standard for line breaks, but if absolutely needed, you can go over.
*screams internally*
acerspyro

Postby qreeves » 21 Dec 2016 04:29

Quinton Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse
|
Contribute to Project Costs via or
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby zaquest » 21 Dec 2016 06:30

zaquest

Postby Norakam » 21 Dec 2016 07:22

Norakam

Postby qreeves » 21 Dec 2016 11:37

curtime is the time since the last frame in milliseconds.
totalmillis is the total number of milliseconds elapsed since the program was started.
lastmillis is the total number of milliseconds elapsed with gamespeed taking into account.
clocktime is the current time in seconds since the epoch in UTC.
currenttime is the current time in seconds since the epoch in local time.
totalsecs is the total number of seconds since the program was started, used only for maxruntime.
|
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby FaTony » 21 Dec 2016 15:21

Attachments
80charsforever.png
FaTony

Postby eihrul » 26 Dec 2016 20:50

In this case, I am just going to be blunt: I am not interested in seeing wholesale rewrites of the engine to whatever pet programming style some programmer thinks is better than what we use. The argument that there is some holy, ordained style that one should be using and that we are not using, it just doesn't fly with me. The style we use works perfectly well for our engine, you just refuse to learn it, is all.

Yes, the Cube 2 source code is a bit idiosyncratic for historical reasons, but at the same time, it is still consistent, powerful, and allows interchange with all the other codebases that use Cube 2 with far less hassle than the alternatives. For that reason alone, I will more or less refuse these kinds of efforts, because I want to keep all the various instances of Cube 2 that I oversee interoperable and easy to work with any of them if you've worked with one.
eihrul

Postby Norakam » 30 Dec 2016 10:17

Norakam

Postby shirepirate » 06 Jan 2017 23:07

i'd suggest rewriting the hit detection algorithm, one of the most frustrating things for me when i come back to this game once in a while after playing other online multiplayer shooters is the no regs and the high average ping of players.
having a small community makes it so you can't simply block people from entering a server when their ping is too high, but the hit detection should greatly favor the shooter as to alleviate frustration. When you're used to your shots registering and have that preset expectation, then find that they don't In Red Eclipse the game isn't fun any more.

bit of a ramble but as long as you're rewriting code there's an idea on something you could greatly improve, as it's horrid in it's current state (lets not even talk about a high ping player using sword).
shirepirate

Postby Jfault » 07 Jan 2017 02:02

*cough* urv *cough*
Keep calm and eat fruit.

MFW I've been a Ghost for 2 years D:
Jfault

Postby qreeves » 08 Jan 2017 04:25

|
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby Norakam » 02 Mar 2017 19:52

Norakam

Postby Iceflower » 02 Mar 2017 21:25

Why do you not use the std::strings?
I know my English is cruel. :$
When I talk rubbish correct me.
Iceflower

Postby qreeves » 03 Mar 2017 02:09

We already have the things you are trying to implement.

vector<char> mystring;
concatstring(mystring, " world!");
DStr can be done with either vector<char> or newstring()
Either can be used as char* or const char* with vector::getbuf() or the proper pointer. Nothing prevents strings from being cast to const, you just can't use delete on it.
|
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby Norakam » 03 Mar 2017 06:47

Norakam

Postby Norakam » 03 Mar 2017 07:04

Norakam

Postby qreeves » 03 Mar 2017 08:54

We don't use that sort of code style, so I guess the point is moot anyway. If it helps you, then more power to you :P
|
qreeves
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion