[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Red Eclipse • View topic - Better Spawnprotect

Better Spawnprotect

Issues that were previously reported and since dealt with.
Forum rules
This issue tracker is now in read-only mode. Please see for more information on how to contribute to Red Eclipse.

What should happen to spawnprotect?

It should not be changed.
5%
It should be made shorter.
5%
It should be removed when an attack is performed (guns or kicks).
10%
It should be removed when damage is dealt (if a bullet or kick hits the target).
No votes
It should be removed when a gun is fired (regardless of whether it hits, but kicks don't count).
81%
Spawnprotect shouldn't exist.
No votes

Total votes : 21

Better Spawnprotect

Postby subraizada3 » 04 Mar 2014 22:11

The current spawnprotect is flawed.
First of all, it is too long. On small maps like darkness, 3 seconds of spawnprotect is enough to get to the enemy base if you spawn near the middle.
Second, it is too powerful. There have been numerous times where a person spawns in front of me and kills me within a second or two (and if I'm holding a grenade, the explosion doesn't do anything to them). Meanwhile, (if I am still alive) I am stuck trying to run away from them because I can't do any damage.

I have three suggestions:
1) Spawnprotect should be shorter. Even on large maps, 1.5 seconds is more than enough. On smaller maps, it should be something like 750 ms.
or 2) The map should be able to specify the length of spawnprotect. I'm not sure if this is possible, but it would be nice if the duration could change based on the map.
and 3) Spawnprotect should be disabled as soon as the spawned person attacks.

Someone pointed out on #redeclipse what wallrunning generates kicks, and this would disable spawnprotect. It can be fixed by having it be disabled when damage is done instead of when an attack is performed. However, this still lets the spawner get a few shots off sometimes, so it would be best for spawnprotect to be disabled when a gun is fired, and have kicks leave it active.
subraizada3

Re: Better Spawnprotect

Postby qreeves » 05 Mar 2014 02:24

Choices, choices... Not sure which solution I like. You forgot the option for map based timer too :P
Quinton Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse
|
Contribute to Project Costs via or
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby subraizada3 » 05 Mar 2014 02:36

subraizada3

Postby qreeves » 05 Mar 2014 02:50

|
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby Ulukai » 05 Mar 2014 08:14

It should be removed when a gun is fired (regardless of whether it hits, but kicks don't count). --> Great idea!

EDIT: I understand this option means that this time is limited to what it is now, but remove spawnprotect earlier if the player starts shooting.
Last edited by Ulukai on 05 Mar 2014 10:15, edited 1 time in total.
Ulukai

Postby korsi » 05 Mar 2014 09:39

Spawn protect idea imo is to protect player while he notifies that he has spawned and maybe obseve the surroundings. Imo its not for bullet proof walk towards enemy base. Many maps are very small and encountering enemy passing spawn area for example for catcing flag is very likely.

Thus imo there should be quite short timer and shooting, kicking or moving should break the protection. Turning and looking around should not.
Aka when player is battle ready he should move. Not before.

I dont see reason why player should be able to kick while protected.

*edits: i suck at posting
korsi

Postby subraizada3 » 05 Mar 2014 13:04

subraizada3

Postby Samplidude » 05 Mar 2014 19:59

I like the idea of having map-based timers, because imo the spawnproctecttime is perfectly ok, except for those problems with small maps.
Additionally i would suggest that weapons wont shoot or deal damage while in spawnprotection rather than making the use of weapons cancel the spawnprotection.

Imagine you would meet an spawnprotected opponent: it would be his decision if to start fighting or to take further advantage of the spawnprotection. this is unfair to the nonspawnprotected in my opinion.
Samplidude

Postby subraizada3 » 05 Mar 2014 21:31

subraizada3

Postby Greaserpirate2 » 05 Mar 2014 23:10

Some of my maps:

..will be updated soon ;)
Greaserpirate2

Postby subraizada3 » 05 Mar 2014 23:27

subraizada3

Postby Greaserpirate2 » 06 Mar 2014 02:26

Some of my maps:

..will be updated soon ;)
Greaserpirate2

Postby subraizada3 » 06 Mar 2014 02:55

I understand now. So pretty much you spend less time waiting to respawn and more time in spawnprotect where you can't fire?
Still, on small maps even if you spawned near the middle and chased them down, by the time 3 seconds have passed you would be deep in enemy territory and there would be no chance of getting the flag back. It's better to spawn a second later but be able to shoot instantly.

I'm not sure why but having a spawnprotect in which you shoot just seems like a better idea to me.
subraizada3

Postby qreeves » 06 Mar 2014 04:19

You're forgetting when people die, they just spam the mouse button to respawn. Quite often this leads to an initial "mis-fire" when spawning.
|
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby freezurbern » 06 Mar 2014 05:00

freezurbern

Postby SylvieLorxu » 06 Mar 2014 12:41

SylvieLorxu / TheLastProject | Global Administrator, Red Eclipse | Signature thief
SylvieLorxu

Postby subraizada3 » 06 Mar 2014 13:39

subraizada3

Postby Calinou » 07 Mar 2014 10:57

In kaboom mode, if you cook grenade less than 0.5 seconds after spawning (hard to do) and explode it on yourself, you don't take any damage. Bringing spawn protection time to 2.5 seconds would fix this.
Calinou

Postby subraizada3 » 17 Mar 2014 23:00

Have any proposed changes been accepted?
subraizada3

Postby acerspyro » 17 Mar 2014 23:11

Also, we can't get out of the weapon selection menu (pause menu, whatever) without going into spectate. I once was like "RAAAAAA I NEED TO CLOSE THE FKIN GAME WHILE FULLSCREEN, WAT DO?".
*screams internally*
acerspyro

Postby qreeves » 18 Mar 2014 08:00

|
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby ZeroKnight » 28 Mar 2014 05:32

On the servers that I personally administrated in the past (read: "mine"), I had spawndelay cut in half (1.5 seconds). I felt that it was plenty of time to give you that initial moment when spawning to make sense of your surroundings, but not long enough to be too advantageous over an opposing player who happened to be nearby.

Though now that it's been mentioned, I do quite like the idea of having the spawn protection removed once you fire, regardless of hitting anything. Yes the mashing LMB could be problematic, but as already mentioned we could make it so you only need to click once during spawndelay to respawn the moment that it's up (Loadout does this, and it works well IMO).
Alex "ZeroKnight" George | Global Administrator, Red Eclipse |
ZeroKnight

Postby qreeves » 30 Mar 2014 05:00

Moved to Issue Tracker, triaged for v1.5. Firing a gun or doing damage with a kick will end spawn protect.
|
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby qreeves » 10 Jan 2015 08:40

This item was completed, closing issue.
|
qreeves