local vs. global privs

Issues that were previously reported and since dealt with.
Forum rules
This issue tracker is now in read-only mode. Please see this topic for more information on how to contribute to Red Eclipse.

local vs. global privs

Postby bonifarz » 20 Jul 2014 11:03

In summary, I think it would be useful if local and global privs (player account levels) could be distinguished in the scoreboard. Maybe the nice overlay we get in SVN (when hovering the mouse over a gui button) could be used for scoreboard icons of global mods and higher ranks?
privs.sample.jpeg
just an illustration with two buttons
privs.sample.jpeg (4.25 KiB) Viewed 4785 times

So, what does it mean? A player who hosts a server can specify a list of local moderators, operators and administrators, which get the same icons and local permissions upon login as "staff" members with the equivalent global ranks. So, local privs are typically used for server owners and their clan mates or buddies, while higher global privs are exclusive to trusted people with special rights and duties. The rank system and abstract icons can be confusing to new players, and I have the impression that this point is one of the main reasons.

Alternately, it might be an option to introduce separate ranks and icons for those local privs. Having an even larger number of ranks in total seems a bad idea, though. Two local privs instead of three are probably sufficient, but I really cannot judge if the amount of global ranks can or should be simplified. It's just another thought that might stimulate more ideas to make things more transparent.
bonifarz

Re: local vs. global privs

Postby MichelT » 20 Jul 2014 19:48

I like your suggestion and furthermore I would like to ask a question:
Is it intended that the global privileged players are able to change vars related to the specific server - "security", such as varslock, masterlock, banlock, etc. ? If yes, I personally would like to see a change regarding this.
MichelT

Postby bonifarz » 20 Jul 2014 20:32

As far as I understood, you can specify in serverinit.cfg via sv_*lock variables which ranks are allowed to change exactly which settings. In this regard, local and global privs of the same rank should be are probably equivalent. Well possible I got the question wrong, though.
Last edited by bonifarz on 24 Jul 2014 15:19, edited 1 time in total.
bonifarz

Postby qreeves » 21 Jul 2014 02:30

MichelT wrote:I like your suggestion and furthermore I would like to ask a question:
Is it intended that the global privileged players are able to change vars related to the specific server - "security", such as varslock, masterlock, banlock, etc. ? If yes, I personally would like to see a change regarding this.

Only people with administrator or higher can change vars that are conisidered part of server security. Also, recently added to SVN, all lock vars check their current setting and don't allow those without that level of access to change it. As far as restricting my global moderators, you will not see that added to Red Eclipse, as I appoint them to their respective levels for a reason. By using the master server you are agreeing to this, and any tampering with it will result in immediate global bans.
Quinton Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse
Check Out My YouTube Channel | Leave Me a Tip on PayPal
Contribute to Project Costs via PayPal or Patreon
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby bonifarz » 22 Jul 2014 15:32

Respecting the game masters and their responsibilities should be a matter of course. That's why we have the guidelines.

The only purpose and intention of this topic is to avoid confusion about the indication and meaning of the ranks.
bonifarz

Postby freezurbern » 22 Jul 2014 20:51

I too think there should be some kind of seperation between the two, perhaps a bar under the icons for local users?
freezurbern

Postby acerspyro » 22 Jul 2014 22:58

Or just two spikes instead of four.
*screams internally*
acerspyro

Postby qreeves » 23 Jul 2014 01:02

OK, so visible distinctions between global and local. Moving to issue tracker.
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby bonifarz » 29 Oct 2014 16:50

I just noticed the new textures (r6827) for local privs - very nice!
ImageImageImageImage - local
ImageImageImageImage - global
bonifarz

Postby radiant » 29 Oct 2014 17:02

It would make more sense if local admin had a small diamond in the center (to help distinguish from local op, and to contrast with the hole there on the global admin icon).

Local supporter, though...why does that exist?
radiant

Postby SylvieLorxu » 29 Oct 2014 17:22

radiant wrote:Local supporter, though...why does that exist?

It could be an useful way for server owners to upgrade people that donate to their servers or so.
SylvieLorxu / TheLastProject | Global Administrator, Red Eclipse | Signature thief
SylvieLorxu

Postby qreeves » 30 Oct 2014 02:14

I did all that I was really capable of, seeing as nobody else was offering to fix/redo them. I am not an artist. Unless you can fix my "placeholders", don't complain!

I decided to add local supporter so that admins can change their various "*lock" settings to accommodate a user without moderator-level privileges. For example, say you want to limit connections to your server to only a specific list of people. You could set "connectlock" to supporter, and then only local/global supporters or higher can join. I consider that they are "supporters of the server", but the name for the local type could always be changed if it is that confusing.
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby bonifarz » 31 Oct 2014 08:09

qreeves wrote:[...] I am not an artist. Unless you can fix my "placeholders", don't complain!
But hey, these "placeholders" seem to work pretty fine.
qreeves wrote:[...] "supporters of the server"
For servers associated with a clan, one could also think of these as lower rank members or friends of the clan.
radiant wrote:It would make more sense if local admin had a small diamond in the center
That looks even better, thanks.
bonifarz

Return to Closed Issues