self-inflicted residual deaths do not cause point loss

Issues that were previously reported and since dealt with.
Forum rules
This issue tracker is now in read-only mode. Please see this topic for more information on how to contribute to Red Eclipse.

self-inflicted residual deaths do not cause point loss

Postby radiant » 15 May 2014 16:25

A player who is the cause of their own death (suicide key, falling out of the map or into a death hazard, shots that ricochet off a wall and hit the shooter) is supposed to lose points. If they take residual damage from their own weapon, though, and that damage eventually kills them for "bled out", "burned up", or "twitched to death", the current rules result in no change in score.

Those should be at least -3, and more likely -6 by looking up the weapon that caused that status in the first place.
radiant

Re: self-inflicted residual deaths do not cause point loss

Postby qreeves » 16 May 2014 03:01

I'd always considered this situation quite unfavourable to the one inflicting this damage on themselves, and as a result I figured the time/position penalty was sufficient and purposely excluded these from negative scoring. You will probably need to get community feedback on this one, as it isn't a bug.
Quinton Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse
Check Out My YouTube Channel | Leave Me a Tip on PayPal
Contribute to Project Costs via PayPal or Patreon
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby subraizada3 » 16 May 2014 13:50

qreeves wrote:You will probably need to get community feedback on this one, as it isn't a bug.

I think that this shouldn't cause a loss of points - often one will accidentally step on a mine they recently placed which can lead to death by shock, and if there is a loss of points the flamer would also become pretty bad.
Residual damage already makes it easier for the enemy to kill you, so there is no reason it should also make you lose points if you die from it.
subraizada3

Postby freezurbern » 16 May 2014 20:48

This would really suck if using flamer.
freezurbern

Postby shirepirate » 16 May 2014 20:51

subraizada3 wrote:
qreeves wrote:You will probably need to get community feedback on this one, as it isn't a bug.

I think that this shouldn't cause a loss of points - often one will accidentally step on a mine they recently placed which can lead to death by shock, and if there is a loss of points the flamer would also become pretty bad.
Residual damage already makes it easier for the enemy to kill you, so there is no reason it should also make you lose points if you die from it.

you can't set off mines you place until you've died once or a certain amount of time has passed, in the latest subversion (though someone else can set it off and harm you if you stand nearby). also you can put yourself out with flamer by aiming at your feet.

i think the scoring is good/fair as it is.
For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. For every freedom, there is a new limit. For every joy, a new sorrow. For every act of kindness, an unspeakable cruelty. Where someone succeeds, someone else fails. A new association means a new separation. Loyalty meets treachery, honor breeds disgrace, free expression yields censorship. Each piece of knowledge forms new ignorance. Even death gives rise to new life. But the balance of existence is the beginning of wisdom and discernment.
shirepirate

Postby subraizada3 » 19 May 2014 13:52

shirepirate wrote:also you can put yourself out with flamer by aiming at your feet.

Forgot about that; though I still think that there should be no penalty for self-inflicted deaths via residual damage (I think we need to make an acronym or something for that).
subraizada3

Postby qreeves » 23 Jul 2014 03:36

Topic died, general consensus is to leave as is. Closing issue.
Quinton Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse
Check Out My YouTube Channel | Leave Me a Tip on PayPal
Contribute to Project Costs via PayPal or Patreon
qreeves
Site Admin

Return to Closed Issues