[MAP] The Alien Temple

User created maps and modifications, showcase your latest map, model, etc

[MAP] The Alien Temple

Postby LoxForever » 07 Apr 2017 13:30

Hello, I play RE from years and I'd like to participate to the community by creating maps, as a contribute. ;)
This is my first public map, fell free to use it in your own server and report any problem. You are also free to modify it and publish here a new/patched version.

Alien Temple

Description

This map enables many parkour tricks and features portals, jumpers, sniper covers and all weapons. It is great for both casual and experienced/tactical users and is very simple to learn.
The map is well balanced: weapons with area effect are also the most difficult to reach but precise and secondary weapons are very easy to get.
This map also supports bots: they will do tricks and clever movements to raise the difficulty and can be deadly in some game modes.

Screenshots

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image
image share

Supported modes

This is the list of supported game modes.
Different teams have access to different weapons. Players must use covers, parkour and strategy to win in each mode.

ALIAS - MODE (DIFFICULTY)

* DM - Deathmatch (Normal)
    * DAC - Defend and control (Normal)
    * CTF - Capture the Flag (Hard)
    * BB - Bomber ball (Very hard)

Technical requirements, credits and DOWNLOAD

This map should work well on all computers.
You can disable dynamic lights and lower your graphic settings to boost performance and the map should remain nice and playable.

Thank you to any user (most without a RE account) who helped me.
(If you decide to register a RE account contact me to add your name to the map!)

Have fun!

Click HERE for the latest version. [DOWNLOAD]
The original version is in the attachments of this post.

Revision: 1
Attachments
Alien_Temple.zip
First version of Alien Temple.
Tested on Debian Linux x64 / RE Elysium.
(1.65 MiB) Downloaded 27 times
Last edited by LoxForever on 09 Apr 2017 15:16, edited 1 time in total.
LoxForever

Re: [MAP] The Alien Temple

Postby bonifarz » 08 Apr 2017 09:01

Welcome to the forums, Lox

Glad to see you have fun with mapping. I wonder, have you seen our general mapping tips on the wiki?

http://redeclipse.net/wiki/Mapping_Tips

Creating a well balanced map with good flow for game modes like CTF is difficult. Keep in mind that players need enough room for proper parkour movement.

Concerning the visual map design, be sure to avoid shapes that make your map look blocky. Cubic geometry is nice to get started, but try to use more slopes and rounded shapes. It will greatly enhance the look and feel of your map.

Another tricky point is lighting. Personally, I prefer maps with simple, bright lighting.

For future maps and updates, you may want to include some license information, such as cc-by-sa-4.0.
bonifarz

Postby LoxForever » 08 Apr 2017 13:20

bonifarz wrote:Welcome to the forums, Lox

Glad to see you have fun with mapping. I wonder, have you seen our general mapping tips on the wiki?

http://redeclipse.net/wiki/Mapping_Tips

Creating a well balanced map with good flow for game modes like CTF is difficult. Keep in mind that players need enough room for proper parkour movement.
For future maps and updates, you may want to include some license information, such as cc-by-sa-4.0.

Hi, yes I did. I also followed: http://redeclipse.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5#p5
I always publish content under the BSD license, but in this case I omitted voluntarily the license: I created the map using the game itself without paying an euro, and anybody can use it without limitations. ;)

bonifarz wrote:Concerning the visual map design, be sure to avoid shapes that make your map look blocky. Cubic geometry is nice to get started, but try to use more slopes and rounded shapes. It will greatly enhance the look and feel of your map.

Another tricky point is lighting. Personally, I prefer maps with simple, bright lighting.

The map contains rounded shapes:

ImageImage

They are not a decoration: experienced players can actually climb and shoot from them.
The map has complex lighting and many light sources (the sun, torches, plasma in the walls...) and is intentionally full of static lights to cast static shadows. It is a mysterious alien temple :!:
Don't worry: the screenshots appear darker than the map, just test it and report here the points that appear too much dark on your screen so I can add more lights if necessary. :)

Thank your for you feedback.
LoxForever

Postby bonifarz » 08 Apr 2017 20:23

I don't comment on maps without looking at them in-game first. Of course, there are some rounder shapes, like your torches, but you will agree that the map in its current state looks rather blocky as a whole. Maybe you can come up with some more interesting alien style elements to brake that up a bit, or vary the layout with some curved sections. The choices are up to you...
bonifarz

Postby LoxForever » 08 Apr 2017 21:00

bonifarz wrote:I don't comment on maps without looking at them in-game first. Of course, there are some rounder shapes, like your torches, but you will agree that the map in its current state looks rather blocky as a whole. Maybe you can come up with some more interesting alien style elements to brake that up a bit, or vary the layout with some curved sections. The choices are up to you...

Those aliens... they must love curves. :lol:
Since this is not a bug, I will wait to see if someone else shares your opinion/taste and then make a new release. ;)

Thank you. :)
LoxForever

Postby qreeves » 09 Apr 2017 01:18

boni is just repeating what we usually say to everyone with their first map submission. Because everything is made of cubes, it is way too easy for a map to appear blocky, and it is a good idea to reduce this as much as possible so things look more professional. The only other thing I could add to that is the texturing, where you've used certain textures a little too much. Try adding trims to the edges of things to break up the monotony. As you can see in this image you posted it creates a repetitive pattern which doesn't look too good.
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby LoxForever » 09 Apr 2017 15:12

If a developer says it, it must be right: time to make a huge upgrade. ;)
Here it is a new release, try it, let me know if you like it more.

Changelog
Rev. 02

New features:
  • Background sounds: lava, wind, alien portal, plasma;
  • Sound effects: jumper;
  • New round shapes (aliens love curves :lol: ): portal, virtual ceiling, EXIT sign, decorations for climbing and some walls;
  • Alien symbols ( :o );
  • Team balancing: new sci-fi ladders, walls around the jumper, defensive walls on the lava pools, defensive walls near the stairs, all players near the portal take damage, the flamethrower is more difficult to take;
  • Environmental damage: stepping on a flame or visiting other dimensions will damage the player;
  • New light sources and better lighting;
  • Texture variations: portal, alternative dimension (a new room!) and much more;

Resolved bugs:
  • Bugfix - unnecessary AI collisions;
  • Bugfix - unnecessary invisible walls of clipping material;
  • Bugfix - texture occlusion under lava pools;
  • Bugfix - texture occlusion behind decorations;
  • Bugfix - missing texture variation for arrows (jumper section);

Screenshots of some changes, test the map to see the hidden gems :twisted:

Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image
free image hosting

Download the new version:

alien_temple.zip
The Alien Temple - rev. 02
Download and replace the previous version.
(2.15 MiB) Downloaded 35 times
LoxForever

Return to Maps and Mods