[MOD] Added health percentage above the heads of players

User created maps and modifications, showcase your latest map, model, etc

[MOD] Added health percentage above the heads of players

Postby BulletSpreader » 04 Mar 2017 12:23

Hi all,

I noticed that in this game there isn't a way to know the health state of the other players. This could be useful, for example to kill who has low health before the other enemies. I edited the source code to show the percentage of health of each player above its head close to its name. It'll be more realistic to show blood and hurts on the bodies of the players related to their health status.

The pull request is here.
BulletSpreader

Re: [MOD] Added health percentage above the heads of players

Postby qreeves » 05 Mar 2017 03:04

People have expressed concerns about this feature, the original PR has been closed and I would appreciate it if everyone continued the discussion here in order to resolve any issues. Thanks.
Quinton Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse
Check Out My YouTube Channel | Leave Me a Tip on PayPal
Contribute to Project Costs via PayPal or Patreon
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby BulletSpreader » 05 Mar 2017 07:43

Someone stated that showing the health percentage can make the game unbalanced, because you can take advantage of this information to kill who has a low health level before the others. This is true, but also your health level is visible to the others, so in my opinion nobody will benefit this feature more than others (i.e. it's balanced).

Anyway, what I really would like is to see the damages (wounds, scars and blood) on the body directly related to its health level. In this way, you don't write explicitly the health percentage, but the player has an idea about the health level of the other players. Moreover, this makes the game more realistic.
BulletSpreader

Postby bonifarz » 05 Mar 2017 08:16

Welcome to the forums, BulletSpreader

Don't let the discussion discourage you. Making a pull request and getting feedback from the team is a great way to learn about Red Eclipse.

On topic, I don't know if exactly this feature would be very useful. However, there is already a similar gimmick built into the hint/glow/tone mechanics, but the variables are a tad confusing, so it is not well known how to make that setting a bit more visible. Actually, the glow (halo) effect you get on player models depends on their current health. So, you can already tell that a player with weak or absent glow has little health left.

The other aspect of your PR is a numeric value for enemy health stats. In my opinion, this is mainly interesting right when you got killed, and you want to know how close the encounter ended. But exactly this information is already shown in the system messages, along with a distance measure.

Concerning visible wounds on the model as a feature request, I don't think this will be very practical. I imagine such details would be hardly visible, and hard to distinguish from all the blood effects that are already triggered on hits and deaths.
bonifarz

Postby qreeves » 05 Mar 2017 08:18

Realism isn't an objective of RE, balanced gameplay is. The current engine doesn't support decals on models, but the Tesseract engine does, so that may happen if/when we move to that engine.

I understand the point of the feature request, but I'm trying to reduce and/or clean up the on-screen clutter, and this kind of adds to it. We prefer more nuanced ways of relaying information. For example, the halo around the player dims as their health goes down, so you can glance at someone and tell they're on the verge of death by the fact their halo has pretty much disappeared. This can be made more pronounced by setting both "playerhintblend" and "playerhintscale" to "1.0". Maybe there is some other way we can relay this information as well, without adding yet more stuff above everyone's head?
Quinton Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse
Check Out My YouTube Channel | Leave Me a Tip on PayPal
Contribute to Project Costs via PayPal or Patreon
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby zaquest » 05 Mar 2017 09:15

bonifarz wrote:However, there is already a similar gimmick built into the hint/glow/tone mechanics, but the variables are a tad confusing, so it is not well known how to make that setting a bit more visible. Actually, the glow (halo) effect you get on player models depends on their current health. So, you can already tell that a player with weak or absent glow has little health left.

While we're at it I want to suggest to turn it into a server var.
zaquest

Return to Maps and Mods