A Nice Marketing Strategy

All posts that don't fit into another category, discuss ideas and other things

A Nice Marketing Strategy

Postby Alxa » 31 Dec 2015 22:18

Hey guys.

This is great arena shooter. A FPS that tries to be it's own thing instead of being a Quake clone #35216. Sadly, the player base doesn't correspond to the quality of this free & open source game.

One problem i have spotted is the terrible lack of videos showing what this game is capable of. If you search in youtube the name of this game, you can find a lot of RE videos, but sadly they made by people who doesn't have experience with the mechanics of this game and they just run around shooting. They make it look like a boring and generic game.

And now, every person i know and every person looking for a new game to play, the first thing they do when they hear about a game is looking for gameplay videos. If they don't like what they see, they drop the idea of downloading this game entirely (judging book by it's cover).

I made two videos from gameplay recorded last week (watch them on 720p/60 fps. They look terrible at 360p):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKYK-Zneoys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CuBH1Bzv4A

They aren't good or well edited, i made them just to show you guys what i'm talking about (Shirepirate died 2 or three times and Campy 1 in the first video. Not important or relevant in any way. I just wanted to point that out.).

What if we created a bunch of videos showing the real face of Red Eclipse?.

Also, some people i have recommended this game over the internet have told me that seeing the word "Casual" in the main description turned them off this game. I think that they aren't the only ones and i suggest removing that word from the description; because today in the blossoming of competitive videogames the great majority of "gamers" feel offended by this word. Like they are playing a low skill game, and RE isn't that kind of game (hell, Quake 3 has easier mechanics to learn IMO and nobody calls it a casual game). It's a little detail that i believe it could help.
Last edited by freezurbern on 01 Jan 2016 16:24, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: strategy spelling fix
I'm pure love to everyone. Official RE Duel Commentator.
Alxa

Re: A Nice Marketing Stragtegy

Postby zaquest » 31 Dec 2015 22:25

Freestyle sword fights on walls are awesome :D
zaquest

Postby shirepirate » 31 Dec 2015 22:31

linking to more official gameplay videos from the website would be acceptable, they will need to be of a higher quality than those though (srsly, did you record with a potato?) :-/

i also think it would be a good idea to place some active WebM somewhere on the homepage, perhaps in place of the trailer or even in the background. people like to see things move, even if it is a slight browser hog (can also easily be made to apply to desktop clients only).
For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. For every freedom, there is a new limit. For every joy, a new sorrow. For every act of kindness, an unspeakable cruelty. Where someone succeeds, someone else fails. A new association means a new separation. Loyalty meets treachery, honor breeds disgrace, free expression yields censorship. Each piece of knowledge forms new ignorance. Even death gives rise to new life. But the balance of existence is the beginning of wisdom and discernment.
shirepirate

Postby mrmister » 31 Dec 2015 23:36

HOT DAM Those vids are good, but it needs more.....me. I mean cmon i was only there for like the end of one of those videos, and I doubt it was at my best. I used a smg for cryin out loud!

Jokes aside, notavo is totally right. We need to show some good stuff about this game that the people can see. I'll see if I can make some vids/demos, but don't expect a lot, cause I never did these, and the pc I'm getting may not be powerful enough to go max graphics + high quality recording.

Maybe someone can make some art for the game.

ALSO a pretty important thing is bringing the noobs in. We need something like tutorials that introduce the mechanics and then put em to the test with obstacles and bots.

Another thing that may be discussed in another thread is that we don't want newbies discouraged because of OP weapons. Its really frustrating to find a FTP game that seems good, but then you hear people complaining about OP weapons, even if you're able to have the weapon yourself.
mrmister

Postby Scatter » 31 Dec 2015 23:58

Maybe i should make a frag movie from my collection of demos.Which free program would you recommend for that?I will also consider a series of tutorials for new players .
Co-leader of Cube 2 clan >DOOM< Www.D00m.tk
Scatter

Postby qreeves » 01 Jan 2016 04:12

What'd be really useful is a bunch of 10 second clips showing off different aspects of the game (or awesome frags). I can put them together to make a showcase video, trailers, and other promotional material.

I'll look at removing the "casual" moniker. It was mostly added to make people realise the game was easier to play than most other "competitive" games, as we favour ease of learning/playing/fun over that.
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby zaquest » 01 Jan 2016 11:07

These are longer than 10 seconds but I hope they'll be useful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPyNmgCBsOc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Knxd9bxnc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RkHVtY3pXM

Youtube compressed the videos too much, if someone needs originals let me know I'll post them somewhere else, but they are quite big so I won't keep them for too long.

mrmister wrote:Another thing that may be discussed in another thread is that we don't want newbies discouraged because of OP weapons. Its really frustrating to find a FTP game that seems good, but then you hear people complaining about OP weapons, even if you're able to have the weapon yourself.

I think exactly opposite. I even saw a video of some youtuber playing RE and complaining that it's too hard to frag.
zaquest

Postby bonifarz » 01 Jan 2016 11:46

AlxandreNotavo wrote:the word "Casual" in the main description turned them off this game
qreeves wrote:I'll look at removing the "casual" moniker.
and so he did ;)

mrmister wrote:ALSO a pretty important thing is bringing the noobs in. We need something like tutorials that introduce the mechanics
For parkour, I hope Tuto (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=246) helped a bit so far. For the modes and muts, we tried to pack a lot of info into the help menus, but maybe something like offline challenges (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=548) could help, until we have more sophisticated tutorial mechanics.
Scatter wrote:I will also consider a series of tutorials for new players .
Cool, I'm curious what you will come up with :)

zaquest wrote:These are longer than 10 seconds but I hope they'll be useful
nice ones - I still think cyanide (3rd video) is your most impressive run, though, it would look even more wicked in 1st person.
bonifarz

Postby zaquest » 01 Jan 2016 12:30

bonifarz wrote:I still think cyanide (3rd video) is your most impressive run

Yes, I think so too. Map is great - there were so many things to improve, I still hope to go under 26 :D
bonifarz wrote:though, it would look even more wicked in 1st person.

Hmm, let's see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKs0f5d49C0 :D
zaquest

Postby freezurbern » 01 Jan 2016 15:55

Scatter wrote:Maybe i should make a frag movie from my collection of demos.Which free program would you recommend for that?I will also consider a series of tutorials for new players .

You can use the built-in /movie* commands in Red Eclipse to allow for video recording. Beware: they are not compressed and can get very big quickly. Sadly I don't know of any 3rd party programs that would be acceptable. Good luck!
freezurbern

Postby Alxa » 01 Jan 2016 16:20

zaquest wrote:Freestyle sword fights on walls are awesome :D

Sure they are bro . Also, i subbed you :) .

shirepirate wrote:they will need to be of a higher quality than those though (srsly, did you record with a potato?) :-/.

Mmm, they don't look bad at 720p. Next time i will rise the bitrate and improve the encoding so they can look good at 360p.

Scatter wrote:Maybe i should make a frag movie from my collection of demos.Which free program would you recommend for that?I will also consider a series of tutorials for new players .

I don't recommend using the demos. They look kinda...unnatural. As for a good video editor i recommend VirtualDub for Windows or Blender/Pitivi for linux. Obviously they are all free :).

qreeves wrote:I'll look at removing the "casual" moniker.

You're based, man.

I will post better gameplay footage once i fix my drivers.

What if we used this thread to post all the videos we create?. That way we could receive feedback from people who already play the game.

-----

"Stragtegy"

Damn, i didn't saw that typo when i wrote the subject. How can i edit it?
Alxa

Re: A Nice Marketing Strategy

Postby freezurbern » 01 Jan 2016 16:25

These links may be of some help:
Project Idea: Pro Trailer - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=154&p=1432
Trailer-Quality Media - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=182&p=1480
freezurbern

Postby Alxa » 20 May 2016 21:25

I could edit any footage you guys send me if you want. I think that a good time trial montage of the best times could help show the movement capabilities of the game to new people.

Can i use your recordings, Zaquest :?:
Alxa

Postby ShaneRoach » 20 May 2016 23:11

Alxa wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKYK-Zneoys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CuBH1Bzv4A

Can you not record 1080P? 1080P and 60fps is getting to be something of a standard for video game videos. I know... it requires perhaps more computer than a lot of folks have.

If you are on Linux, Kdenlive for editing imho. OBS for recording. OBS works for Windows too. No clue what's good for free to edit with in Windows.
They're bugs, Wyatt. All that smart talk about live and let live. There ain't no live and let live with bugs.
- Morgan Earp, "Tombstone"
ShaneRoach

Postby Alxa » 20 May 2016 23:36

ShaneRoach wrote:
Can you not record 1080P? 1080P and 60fps is getting to be something of a standard for video game videos. I know... it requires perhaps more computer than a lot of folks have.

Sure, in fact i just finished another draft in 1080p 60 fps :D (i will post it tomorrow)

My main problem is that my videos look hideous in 360p (but good in 720p). I played a little bit with the settings while rendering; i just hope the result looks good on Youtube :) .
Alxa

Postby ShaneRoach » 20 May 2016 23:39

Awesome! May the force be with you and all that jaz. :D
They're bugs, Wyatt. All that smart talk about live and let live. There ain't no live and let live with bugs.
ShaneRoach

Postby Alxa » 21 May 2016 13:35

The video is up!!!:

https://youtu.be/2wQS2aceaA4

And it still looks like crap on lower resolutions :cry: ...

Anyway, give me feedback :).
Alxa

Postby bonifarz » 21 May 2016 14:25

Looks good, it captures the game dynamics very well.
Maybe you can get some footage of some other weapons? Just to have more diversity and show the prettier weapon models, too ;)
bonifarz

Postby Jfault » 21 May 2016 14:26

Alxa: that hud is a little distracting... I don't know how to turn it off though (/showhud 0 disables crosshair too)

EDIT: Beha says to do this: /show{console,inventory, and fps} 0 testing now...\

EDIT 2: yeah that works for me
Keep calm and eat fruit.

MFW I've been a Ghost for 2 years D:
Jfault

Postby shacknetisp » 21 May 2016 14:29

I think the HUD is ok, it shows what you will see during gameplay. Nice video btw :)
shacknetisp

Postby freezurbern » 21 May 2016 16:06

Alxa wrote:The video is up!!!:

Very nicely done! My only thing is the lack of other weapons :P though they are less popular
freezurbern

Postby bonifarz » 21 May 2016 16:09

Jfault wrote:/show{console,inventory, and fps} 0

Seems a bit complicated, there's also showhud for just everything ;)
shacknetisp wrote:I think the HUD is ok, it shows what you will see during gameplay.

I fully agree. Another thing related to exactly this: The enhanced brightness on the models. I mean, this is really useful while playing, but for an advertising video, it looks a bit less polished.
bonifarz

Postby FaTony » 21 May 2016 21:44

I've wanted to create a FLOSS gaming channel and do a let's play of RE but then I've read Google ToS and Privacy Policy and decided not to create a Google account myself. If any1 is interested in this, contact me.
FaTony

Postby Alxa » 21 May 2016 22:45

Thanks Beha and Freezurbern :)

bonifarz wrote:Maybe you can get some footage of some other weapons?

Yeah, i was thinking about it.I will do it for my definitive video. To cover the whole content of the game, now i will record for 3 months instead of just a couple of days.

Jfault wrote:that hud is a little distracting...

I will disable most of it for my next video (i will only keep the crosshair and the death messages). I think it should help it look more "cinematic".

FaTony wrote: but then I've read Google ToS and Privacy Policy...

Whats the problem with it?, is it because of your personal info?, why not introducing fake data?
Alxa

Postby ShaneRoach » 21 May 2016 23:42

Alxa wrote:The video is up!!!:

Yeah, they will always look crap in lower rez once you get used to higher rez.

Nice vid. Keep 'em coming. Do you imagine you could play and talk at the same time? There is a lot of that going on in streaming. And there is also a market for just videos where you talk shop about games and gaming while the game play goes on in the background.

I thought you did an excellent job with the editing.
ShaneRoach

Postby FaTony » 22 May 2016 12:46

Alxa wrote:
FaTony wrote: but then I've read Google ToS and Privacy Policy...

Whats the problem with it?, is it because of your personal info?, why not introducing fake data?

It wants my phone number.
FaTony

Postby ShaneRoach » 22 May 2016 14:44

FaTony wrote:
It wants my phone number.

Hehehe. I had that SAME issue.

At some point you need to realize though that if you are going to be in business, people need to know who you are and what you are doing. Perhaps create yourself a business phone for the promotion of open source and open culture issues?

I dunno. I finally broke down and gave mine up because I feel it is important enough to bend on that issue. But for years I resisted. I even had a YouTube channel I changed to "Nunya Bizness" when they asked for my phone number. Pissed me off.
ShaneRoach

Postby FaTony » 22 May 2016 16:44

ShaneRoach wrote:At some point you need to realize though that if you are going to be in business,

I have no plans like that. If I'll register, I will disable ads on my channel and release all videos under CC-BY. I'm taking Bitcoin donations, this is the only relatively anonymous way.

Also, I've bought a dual SIM phone so I can use a dedicated SIM card for stuff like this but only then it struck me that my main SIM card can be tracked by IMEI. Now I feel stupid. The only safe way is to buy a separate phone and only turn it on when you are away from your home and from your main phone so it can't be tracked based on cell towers ID.
FaTony

Postby ShaneRoach » 22 May 2016 19:39

I feel as if the war is more one for the hearts and minds than it is, at the end of the day, strictly for privacy. I guess everyone has their own way of dealing with all of this though.
ShaneRoach

Postby Alxa » 22 Jun 2016 17:54

Hey guys

I'm planing to do a video of the active top 10 players in RE using demos. Do you think it would be a good idea?
Alxa

Postby qreeves » 23 Jun 2016 00:06

Sounds fun
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby Dziq » 23 Jun 2016 11:55

nice idea indedd, I know its much work to do. . , hope something will arise from that Alxa :-)
Dziq

Postby restcoser » 23 Jun 2016 17:46

But who are the top 10 players ^^
restcoser

Postby Alxa » 23 Jun 2016 21:05

I plan to make a poll or something where everybody can vote :D. It doesn't matter the order, since i will post the footage of every player alphabetically.
Alxa

Postby Scatter » 10 Jul 2016 08:47

Scatter

Postby bonifarz » 10 Jul 2016 14:04

Good to see another video from a skilled player :)

Is this from a version where shaders could be disabled, or is that just a large value of fullbrightmodels?
bonifarz

Postby Scatter » 10 Jul 2016 14:51

This is from Red Eclipse 1.4 with shaders off.More videos coming soon☺
Scatter

Postby Alxa » 10 Jul 2016 16:41

23 minutes of pure action!. Great video mate ;).
Alxa

Postby Alxa » 19 Jul 2016 16:40

Hey guys!.

I just uploaded a new video. It doesn't have the action of the last ones, but i tried to make it so it followed the rhythm of the music.

If only we had a way to rewind demos, that way, this video could had been better and easier to make (it took way too much of my time considering it only last 1:20 min) :|

Watch it at least in 480p:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjYJard4Vxs
Alxa

Postby bonifarz » 19 Jul 2016 21:13

As discussed with you earlier, I'll try to get some more attention on gamejolt for your videos:
http://gamejolt.com/games/red-eclipse/7 ... eos/163333
bonifarz

Postby Alxa » 20 Jul 2016 00:26

"Alxa, Red Eclipse duel tournament commentator..." haha i wasn't expecting that.

I'll keep you updated about my next videos Boni :).

--Edit--

I lowered the model contrast setting for the last video. What do you think?, should i lower it more?
Alxa

Postby Alxa » 11 Sep 2016 04:58

New video. I will provide a download link in the future if someone needs it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozjp3xyXUf8

Remember to watch it in 1080p :)

--------

bonifarz wrote:As discussed with you earlier, I'll try to get some more attention on gamejolt for your videos:...

In the future i plan to upload videos about other games. I think it should be better if you used this link of my RE playlist (i plan to add scatter and zaquest videos too) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wQS2ac ... KG&index=1

That way, people wouldn't be lost in my other unrelated videos.
Alxa

Postby bonifarz » 11 Sep 2016 08:54

Congrats on the new video, I think it's brilliant :)

Concerning gamejolt, if you have an account there, you could post it as a video comment. Or I could simply add it to the media shown at the top of the game page (along with the screenshots and trailer), that's maybe simpler.

(I have edited the link to the playlist in the older news/ devlog post, although nobody will read that.)
bonifarz

Postby SniperGoth » 11 Sep 2016 14:10

I liked the vídeo but... it takes too long to people to see the kills (30 second max would be the best), in my opinion.
Also that ending with people basically pressing K was kinda... unnecessary?
And where's the other weapons?
Ex Iron fist level designer/ Ex Revelade Revolution level designer, 3d/2d artist, and still trying to figure out sound design...
SniperGoth

Postby Alxa » 11 Sep 2016 14:46

I will do that Boni :).

---

Yeah i agree Sniper (and i even cut more than 40 seconds of other "unnecessary" shots), but i wanted to create a cinematic video, also i only used the weapons the players showcased actually use during "serious" play .

My next video will be pure gameplay and i will show all the weapons :)
Alxa

Postby FaTony » 11 Sep 2016 16:09

2nd video is much better.
FaTony

Postby Alxa » 18 Oct 2016 22:50

Hi again. New video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDvdKGuf8qE

I had doubts about posting this video in here since it's short, and i feel like it isn't that good. But since this one has more weapon variety (as suggested by Boni and Fatony) and it will be my last RE video for the time being, i thought that it was a good idea to post it in here.

Also, i give my total permission to mirror my videos. Just give me the proper credit (a link to my channel wouldn't be bad at all :) ).

FaTony wrote:2nd video is much better.

Yeah, i agree. It shows more gameplay instead of those other shots i do on the other ones. If i ever get to make more RE videos, i will try to make them with pure gameplay and no bullshit :)
Alxa

Postby FaTony » 19 Oct 2016 03:54

Good.
FaTony

Postby acerspyro » 17 Nov 2016 20:31

I have no problem with videos in foreign languages, but when 90% of the videos on the subject are in Spanish or in Russian rather than in the universal English, it's a real turn off.

Make your videos in English as much as possible to target a bigger audience.
*screams internally*
acerspyro

Postby Alxa » 20 Nov 2016 23:33

You're right Acer. I will let other people contribute with subtitles.
Alxa

Postby Scatter » 24 Feb 2017 23:34

Hey guys,im going to uploud games which i have taken demos from.Duels,normal games,instagib and others.Please tell what you think about this idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QQtd6MVU7s
Scatter

Postby DonGeilo » 26 Feb 2017 18:41

Scatter wrote:Hey guys,im going to uploud games which i have taken demos from.Duels,normal games,instagib and others.Please tell what you think about this idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QQtd6MVU7s

Good Idea. I think you should show the scoreboard in between. So the viewers can comprehend how the game develops.
DonGeilo

Postby Scatter » 12 Mar 2017 10:31

Scatter

Postby Alxa » 20 Apr 2017 04:52

Hey!. I will start uploading videos from demos of the community and from every member of our clan. If you want to contribute, send me the demos, i will record them myself (they will be uploaded as soon as i upgrade my internet. For now, uploading 2 Gb+ videos is a pain in the ***):

Community Duels & Matches - Red Eclipse - (Links on the Video Description):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RgIeVczguc

Alxa's Duels & Matches - Red Eclipse - (Links on the Video Description):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIIxDo1aiL8
Alxa

Postby Alxa » 20 Apr 2017 13:08

Links are fixed now. Sorry :oops:
Alxa

Postby amsyarZeRo » 01 May 2017 04:58

Ah, okay then. I'll be sure to keep the advices in mind!
A normal player.
---Laptop specs---
Macbook Air 11-inch mid 2011(macOS Sierra)
Processor: 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5
RAM: 4 GB
Graphics card: Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
amsyarZeRo

Return to General Discussion