How to Install Red Eclipse
- Download the Windows installer.
- When it is done, double click the resulting EXE installer.
- Run through the prompts to install Red Eclipse on your computer.
- Run the
Red Eclipseshortcut placed in your Start Menu.
If you get a permission denied error during install, right click the installer and Run as Administrator. Alternatively, you can change the install location to a user-writable folder (like "[My] Documents") during the install process.
- Install git, curl and the runtime dependencies of Red Eclipse. On a Debian-like system (e.g. Ubuntu, Linux Mint), this can be done with the command
sudo apt-get install git curl libsdl2-mixer-2.0-0 libsdl2-image-2.0-0 libsdl2-2.0-0
- Download the Linux tarball.
- When it is done, move the resulting TAR.BZ2 file to your home directory (~/ or $HOME = /home/username).
- Extract the contents into your home directory using your favourite archive utility.
- Terminal command:
tar -jxvf redeclipse_X.Y.Z_nix.tar.bz2
- Terminal command:
- Enter the resulting folder (which will be called
~/redeclipse-X.Y.Zwhere X.Y.Z is the version number of the package).
- Download the OS X tarball.
- When it is done, click the resulting TAR.BZ2 file in your downloads folder on the dock.
- Archive utility will extract the contents into the same folder and open a Finder window with
- Drag and drop the
redeclipse.apppackage to your favourite location (Desktop, Applications folder, whatever).
If this is the first time running the app, the operating system complains that it can't run an unsigned package, simply right (or cmd) click and select
Open. In future you will be able to run the app as normal, this will override the warning for all future attempts. You can also do this from the command line.
If you get stuck
Don't panic! If you have trouble working out how to install and run the game, you can get assistance on our live chat or forums. Please be ready to provide as much information as possible, especially what operating system you're on and specifically which package you're trying to install!