Customizable Weapons, auras, and bots with hats.

All posts that don't fit into another category, discuss ideas and other things
Forum rules
The forum is now in read only mode, please see: https://redeclipse.net/discuss

Customizable Weapons, auras, and bots with hats.

Postby NovaNuke » 06 Nov 2017 03:13

To clarify things that most people are probably thinking right after reading the title, I do not mean Oh!! I like overwatch and crap and i think we should have weapons with customizable features so we can have any weapon we want and monetize it!!!!!! or some crap (no offence to overwatch fans either). I'm simply suggesting that we offer the same thing for weapons that we do playermodels, which is actually one of my most favorite parts of red eclipse. I understand that this would be kinda difficult with all the new models, and i'm no modeler, but I do think it is something that would really attract people to the game as most games simply have different weapons or different skins. Some examples would be: adding a different scope to the rifle or turning the pistol into a revolver. This could help people feel a little bit more highly of the weapons as they have something unique to them. Also it could be fun to be able to colour your weapons. Now with Auras, I was just thinking it could be nice to have a little colourable aura around your pm to make it look like an eclipse or something, maybe electricity. As far as bots, it sometimes can dampen the mood if none of the bots have cosmetics, because it makes you realize that you have no friends :cry: . If i could get some modeling software i might be able to model a little, but nothing too good. also i have skool so :p
NovaNuke

Re: Customizable Weapons, auras, and bots with hats.

Postby qreeves » 06 Nov 2017 03:33

You can give bots vanities by setting "botmalevanities" and "botfemalevanities".

As for the rest, we barely scrape by getting the content for our core, so it is inconceivable at this point to try adding more variants when the existing ones are still in dire need of improvement. People with enough talent to make good stuff are rare in open source as they typically use their skills to, y'know, get a job and make (lots of?) money.
Quinton Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse
Check Out My YouTube Channel | Leave Me a Tip on PayPal
Contribute to Project Costs via PayPal or Patreon
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby SniperGoth » 06 Nov 2017 12:38

Creating weapon colors by yourself isn't that hard to do, as you take the diffuse texture of the weapon, then change it to the colour you want, bingo (screenshot 1).
But this is only local, as everyone will use the same colors as yourself then.
As for creating skins, that's another story, since you will need to, or paint the model on a 3d application (blender, 3dsmax etc), or do some guess work with the weapon texture's diffuse file.
Attachments
20170811234534.png
As a example, my pistol has colors matching the ones from EVA-01.
Ex Iron fist level designer/ Ex Revelade Revolution level designer, 3d/2d artist, and still trying to figure out sound design...
SniperGoth

Postby NovaNuke » 08 Nov 2017 13:41

Thanks for answering! I didnt know about the bot vanities or weapon diffusers. Thank you a lot!
NovaNuke

Return to General Discussion