Story

All posts that don't fit into another category, discuss ideas and other things
Forum rules
The forum is now in read only mode, please see: https://redeclipse.net/discuss

Story

Postby MrHeating » 28 Oct 2017 20:01

Yes, I know that's been discussed before, I've skipped trough the topics, however, It's been a while since, opinions and fanbase might have been changed so I'm asking this again:
Is there a possibility for story of any kind? If yes, under which conditions?

I'd like to mention that I'm not new to RE, I'm casually playing it for about 4 - 5 years.

Eventually I stop playing it because of rl stuff but get back fairly quickly every once I set up a new OS (for myself or others, which happens often enough), thinking about stuff I should install like "Oh yeah, there's this cool game with great graphics and gameplay, why did I even forget it?".

Anyway, the reason why I stop playing it is because there's no progress, not counting the statistics, at least.

============

For me, any gamer I know and I suppose many more, there's nothing that's more important for a game than it's story. It can have non-special gameplay and "bad" graphics, it still can be good. And, as I said before, RE has already great gameplay and graphics, just imagine how much greater it'd become with a decent storyline!

Another thing I'd like to mention is that I'm not a big help with maps or coding but I know some basics about Blender and most importantly I am studying professional film making (I know how that sounds, just don't know how to translate it properly) so I'd like to help you in anyway I can. I might not work fast ('cause rl sucks), but everything I say I'll do will be done for sure.

Sincerely,
le me.
MrHeating

Re: Story

Postby qreeves » 29 Oct 2017 03:42

I usually remain focused on making the game better through iterative design and engine updates. Of interest, I've just finished the bulk of the work to import the Tesseract rendering pipeline which will allow our game to look better than ever through the use of dynamic lighting and other cool effects we could only dream of before.

In the grand scheme of things, it takes A LOT of work to develop a story and perhaps a singleplayer game that goes along with that. From my many tests in the past, I've found that the RE gameplay is just too powerful for "basic" gameplay when playing alone, so the whole game would need to be revamped in order to limit the abilities of the player to something more reasonable.

The other issue is a lack of dedicated interest in doing any of this. It comes up a lot because people think it is a good idea, but nobody has ever taken the helm to direct such an endeavour, and I'm not particularly interested in it myself. It's not even about being good at mapping or modelling, it's just about being able to put in the huge amount of work to plan the design, work with everyone to put that into practice, then iterate until it is "good". For this kind of effort, especially with a volunteer project, could take years - and nobody really has that much patience.
Quinton Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse
Check Out My YouTube Channel | Leave Me a Tip on PayPal
Contribute to Project Costs via PayPal or Patreon
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby MrHeating » 29 Oct 2017 08:53

I am a very patient person and I could keep working on it for years, but if you are not interested in it, I guess there's not much I can help with.

Thanks for the reply.
MrHeating

Postby bonifarz » 29 Oct 2017 09:47

MrHeating wrote:I'd like to mention that I'm not new to RE, I'm casually playing it for about 4 - 5 years.

Welcome back then :)
MrHeating wrote:Anyway, the reason why I stop playing it is because there's no progress, not counting the statistics, at least.

I am not sure if I get this point right: Do you refer to a progression curve for your personal gaming experience, or do you mean the development side of the game?

MrHeating wrote:Yes, I know that's been discussed before, I've skipped trough the topics

I'd like to point at a bunch of forum topics, as it may help for the context here.

First of all, RE Horizon is certainly an important aspect: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=926

This is closely related to the huge effort of porting to the tesseract engine: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=476

There have been plenty of discussions about campaign mode, for instance this older one viewtopic.php?f=4&t=513
or, again and again, topics like viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1132
or design questions like like viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1214

Another pragmatic approach could be simple scripted challenges, e.g. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1058, but I don't think this is what you meant, since your focus is on story elements.

MrHeating wrote:if you are not interested in it, I guess there's not much I can help with.

Well, even if someone puts a lot of effort and dedication into developing a story line, it is still very hard to get something done properly. Since you have been around for a while, maybe you have seen the story of Mek Arcade...

https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=3582
https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=3892
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=59
Yes, that goes back to the old forums...
bonifarz

Postby qreeves » 30 Oct 2017 00:58

Sorry, I should have been clearer: I'm not interested in doing all the work by myself - which is what usually ends up happening. I'm not against the idea of a story/campaign.
Quinton Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse
Check Out My YouTube Channel | Leave Me a Tip on PayPal
Contribute to Project Costs via PayPal or Patreon
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby molexted » 30 Oct 2017 07:57

For me to make a typical small map of 4000-8000 square meters it takes me about one month. A small map like that can, at best, be good for three minutes of singleplayer gameplay. Even for a short campaign of an hour, it would take me somewhere around 20 months to make all the levels by myself assuming I had no other maps to make or other projects to work on. Even if somehow all four mapmakers (me, Acer, SG, Dziq) devoted 100% of their RE time to making a campaign (which is highly unlikely), it would still take a year of total devotion to make a short campaign of 2 hours in length, which is likely to get a lot less play time than a comparable amount of devotion to the current maps to make them prettier and smoother.

We don't have a secret allotment of man-hours to spend on new ideas; in fact, with the new Tesseract port, the RE team is likely to have plenty to do for several months without adding any new gameplay elements.

If you want to make a campaign for RE, that would be great, because the campaign is a gamemode that people have wanted for years. Just be aware that there are reasons nobody has come through on implementing it.

If there's other things, such as textures, animations, mapmodels, or maps you would like to contribute to, that would be greatly appreciated; we are always in need of assets and art. If you want a specific thing to work on that the team would find most helpful to the game, just ask anyone on the team what they would like.
Full disclaimer: I own an Opteron.
molexted

Postby Dziq » 30 Oct 2017 18:39

I'm think problem is not about maps, we can use existing ones, merge/rework them, or make new raw areas without details for now. Real quirk is with lack of monsters/enemies/bosses, ..fighting bots or turrets will be boring totally, and without enemies its out of question if you ask me :)

PS: nice cap, Quinn :p
Dziq

Postby SniperGoth » 03 Nov 2017 18:37

I'd do it like this video if we ever get to do a campagin for RE one day.
VR-looking environments and all of that neon party.

Yeah, Escape was originally a campaign-ish map, crazy huh?
Ex Iron fist level designer/ Ex Revelade Revolution level designer, 3d/2d artist, and still trying to figure out sound design...
SniperGoth

Return to General Discussion