Modding Red Eclipse with ReShade

All posts that don't fit into another category, discuss ideas and other things

Modding Red Eclipse with ReShade

Postby acerspyro » 18 Dec 2016 19:15

(No, the "Re" in ReShade has nothing to do with Red Eclipse)

What is ReShade?

ReShade (https://reshade.me/) is an injection tool for the OpenGL and DirectX library. It allows injection of shaders into games and software that would otherwise not have them. Before you read any further, let me disappoint you now: It only works under Wndows. I'll run through a list of its limitations:

Limitations
- Only works with the 32-bit library (unless someone finds a 64-bit build of ReShade)
- Only works under Windows (tested in Windows 10, works perfectly)
- Not compatible with water refraction, will cause glitches with the water.
- Not recommended for game play unless you have some sort of monster rig.

Now that we know what it can and can't do, let's get to installing it.

Installing

Usually, if you want to install ReShade onto another application, you just run the ReShade installer, select your EXE, push the install button and you're done.

It's not that simple in Red Eclipse, since ReShade assumes the executable is at the root of the program's folder. (Thanks, Obama. But mostly Quin. Dat weird file structure confuses the shit out of the installer)

First thing to do is to get ReShade and "install" it. You can get it here.

After downloading ReShade, run its installer. It will have the PC Master Race icon (obviously).

Screenshot (19).png

You will be presented with a small dialog box. Click on the big button, go to your Red Eclipse folder, usually located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Eclipse.
DO NOT SELECT THE EXECUTABLE, OR THIS WILL FAIL. Instead, type in "redeclipse.bat" in the file box, and click on Open.

The installer will now say "Installing" in the title bar. It might not be obvious, but you have to Click on the OpenGL radio button in order for it to continue. It will then install, maybe throw a few UAC pop-ups at you, ask you if you want to download a few shaders (select yes and install them all) and you'll be on your way... But not quite.

Now, close the installer. Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Eclipse (Or wherever Red Eclipse is on your drive). You will see two new files and a new folder. The two new files are called opengl32.dll and opengl32.ini. Follow my instructions to the letter, or your ceiling will crumble on you, your neighbor's cat will die and Quin will have to wax his nethers over and over for an eternity. Just kidding, it's just not gonna work otherwise.

You want to copy those files to %REDECLIPSE_ROOT%\bin\x86\, so that the executable can use them.

Time to launch the game! Let me just double-click that icon on my desktop...

NUNUNUNUNUNU. This is going to launch the amd64 edition of Red Eclipse, where ReShade is not installed (remember that no amd64 version of ReShade is available, only x86 is).
You will have to manually launch redeclipse.exe from %REDECLIPSE_ROOT%\bin\x86\, unless someone knows a parameter I can pass to the launcher to launch another build of Red Eclipse? I recommend linking the 32-bit executable to your desktop and giving it a name like "Red Eclipse + ReShade".

TIME TO LAUNCH AND FEEL THE POWER OF THE PC MASTER RACE

If you see a gray loading box on the top of your screen as the game launches, it means you have successfully installed the injection mod. I recommend setting a shortcut right away that disables the shaders on the fly, as some shaders (like DOF) break menus and lag the game. (Press Shift + F2 to bring up the ReShade menu, go into settings, and set the disable toggle to KP_ASTERISK or something like that)

Now, Acer, you said you didn't recommend playing with ReShade activated?

Indeed, I did. Unless your machine can take the pounding, in which case I recommend enabling MXAO and HDR right away, two things that are desperately missing from Red Eclipse.
For the rest, such as DOF and other special effects, use them to take cinematic screenshots of maps, make Red Eclipse marketing videos (although doing this would be straight-up lying about the engine's capabilities) and have some fun looking at maps in their full PC Master Race glory.

Screenshots
Attachments
20161218132112.png
20161218132044.png
20161218132117.png
20161218132524.png
20161218132546.png
20161218132808.png
*screams internally*
acerspyro

Re: Modding Red Eclipse with ReShade

Postby SniperGoth » 18 Dec 2016 21:18

I already talked about it once or twice, but yeah, it gives great results.
Most of the time when i use it, i play with Ambient Occlusion+ambient lights+ Advanced Motion blur.
This is basically a full-on tutorial that i never bothered to write, so +1 for you. :lol:

The topic i talked about it for more references : viewtopic.php?f=4&t=705
Ex Iron fist level designer/ Ex Revelade Revolution level designer, 3d/2d artist, and still trying to figure out sound design...
SniperGoth

Postby qreeves » 19 Dec 2016 04:23

My question with this has always been, if these are just the result of shaders, why can't we just add these to the game without the intermediate (and very platform/architecture specific) step? Somehow I think we could make the game look better just by using the shaders better; it isn't an area within the project that has seen any outside contributions, so the usage of it is really limited to basic engine functions. If I'm missing anything here, let me know, but if there's anything we can do to make the game look better without having to spend a year porting to another engine, shouldn't we do it?

EDIT: Oh, and the location of the binaries is because Windows scans the executable path when searching for libraries (DLLs), putting them in the root directory would clutter it with Windows-specific libraries that isn't applicable to the other supported platforms. We're not the first or last to do this, Unreal Engine used to do the same thing.
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby Iceflower » 19 Dec 2016 19:36

FaTony wrote:What, DOF and blur in my game? All these effects make opponents hard to see. Best looking games were released 1998-2005. All went downhill after that.

Calm down!
I think if we introduce this, we will have a disable option too! I dont like the blur too, but why we shouldnt add it?
Last edited by Iceflower on 19 Dec 2016 21:19, edited 2 times in total.
I know my English is cruel. :$
When I talk rubbish correct me.
My public data
Iceflower

Postby acerspyro » 19 Dec 2016 19:56

The DOF presented here is way too strong for gameplay. Maybe something lighter (such as something that only targets background elements, such as non-playable ground) could replace the fog effect where you are not meant to see other players (unless disabled, in which case it should fall back to the fog). What we mostly need is AO and HDR, which would be configurable on a by map basis. (seen in the first two batches of screenshots is the technicolor shader, which could possibly look nice in some maps. It makes colors pop more, but in maps such as Affluence, it overblows colors so much the walls looked like pure yellow.)
*screams internally*
acerspyro

Postby acerspyro » 16 Jan 2017 19:26

qreeves wrote:My question with this has always been, if these are just the result of shaders, why can't we just add these to the game without the intermediate (and very platform/architecture specific) step? Somehow I think we could make the game look better just by using the shaders better; it isn't an area within the project that has seen any outside contributions, so the usage of it is really limited to basic engine functions. If I'm missing anything here, let me know, but if there's anything we can do to make the game look better without having to spend a year porting to another engine, shouldn't we do it?

EDIT: Oh, and the location of the binaries is because Windows scans the executable path when searching for libraries (DLLs), putting them in the root directory would clutter it with Windows-specific libraries that isn't applicable to the other supported platforms. We're not the first or last to do this, Unreal Engine used to do the same thing.

Red Eclipse already supports 2D shaders, how big of a jump would it be to support vertex shaders for AO?

If you believe that AO is too much of a performance hit, we could just bake the AO maps during lightmapping (maybe a different monochrome map to save space?), and restraining dynamic AO to mapmodels.
*screams internally*
acerspyro

Postby SniperGoth » 16 Jan 2017 19:53

I don't really believe AO has that much performance hit, as it's all about the sample count that defines how heavy it is, from my understanding.
And baking AO maps on the lightmap gives some bad results (the screenshots from the Revelade Revolution ones from the linked thread are with baked ones).
Maybe if someone who has the understanding could possibly copy the one currently on Tesseract, since it seems to use GLSL, to RE?
Ex Iron fist level designer/ Ex Revelade Revolution level designer, 3d/2d artist, and still trying to figure out sound design...
SniperGoth

Postby qreeves » 17 Jan 2017 02:52

Yeah, but I'm not exactly familiar with any form of shader system, which is why it is all pretty much stock Cube 2.
qreeves
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion