[MAP ASSETS] by Dziq

User created maps and modifications, showcase your latest map, model, etc

[MAP ASSETS] by Dziq

Postby Dziq » 10 Mar 2016 21:18

last update: 14 IV 2017:
- added ladder01 & metal_cover mapmodels

nothing new really here, all still available on github HERE. You can download this repo and put 'dziq' folder in your RE/data or in your RE home directory to use my assets
For now no screenshoots, I will prepare and post new screens later

Below are commands for my models if someone wants to load one by one (or use "/exec dziq/models.cfg" to load them all):

mmodel "dziq/bench"
mmodel "dziq/bench02"
mmodel "dziq/boiler"
mmodel "dziq/ceil_fan"
mmodel "dziq/deco_tech01"
mmodel "dziq/deco_tech02"
mmodel "dziq/fan_blades"
mmodel "dziq/fan_case"
mmodel "dziq/glassdoor01"
mmodel "dziq/ladder01"
mmodel "dziq/lightcone01"
mmodel "dziq/lightcone02"
mmodel "dziq/lightsquares"
mmodel "dziq/metal_cover"
mmodel "dziq/pipe01a"
mmodel "dziq/pipe01b"
mmodel "dziq/pipe01c"
mmodel "dziq/pipe01valve"
mmodel "dziq/vent_end_pipe"

Any suggestions are welcome, if you have questions, just ask :) enjoy
Last edited by Dziq on 13 Apr 2017 00:27, edited 12 times in total.
Dziq

Re: [MAP ASSETS] by Dziq

Postby bonifarz » 11 Mar 2016 10:03

Hey, that does not look bad.
So, this is all your original art? Be sure to include a license (e.g. cc-by-sa-4.0).
Why no screenshots for the mapmodels? I like them.
Maybe thumbnails make sense for the previews here. (Smaller images with a link to the full size image.)
bonifarz

Postby Dziq » 11 Mar 2016 16:45

Thanks Boni for a little preview.
I working on next textures, these from package will be updated too, especially rock and metal surface
One texture is from Red Eclipse itself (I used it as a base for my version), rest of these textures are my doing.
I'll update first post when next package will be updated, maybe one week ?, I plan to make grate textures from scratch because its now look terrible, also I'll add new textures, tweak existing ones and put one ladder model, I know ladders are nice made from just geometry, but model should look better, more curvy and with ready skin for it.
stay tuned
Dziq

Postby blakthunder » 12 Mar 2016 02:30

From the texture previews, I'm really liking the rock wall. However, the brushed metal tile seems very... flat? Or it needs more reflections? I'm not sure.

Like boni mentioned, it'd be nice to see some model previews without having to install the set and view in RE. Not to discourage you, but I believe ladders are done with geometry because they work with the climb material better, as you may have clipping issues with a mapmodel. Anyways, looking forward to your next works.
blakthunder

Postby Dziq » 12 Mar 2016 15:49

hmm thanks for looking at these, you mean whiteish brushed tile? Ok, I do something to make it look better along with other ones.
About ladder model. I dont think there will be issues with clipping because we all can use clip material.
Hmm maybe another model ? proposals?
Dziq

Postby SniperGoth » 12 Mar 2016 21:42

blakthunder wrote:I believe ladders are done with geometry because they work with the climb material better, as you may have clipping issues with a mapmodel.

mdlcollide 0 makes models have no clipping.
Ex Iron fist level designer/ Ex Revelade Revolution level designer, 3d/2d artist, and still trying to figure out sound design...
SniperGoth

Postby qreeves » 14 Mar 2016 04:34

Dziq wrote:About ladder model. I dont think there will be issues with clipping because we all can use clip material.

Yes, and you can turn off collision on an entity level too with the mapmodel flags. If the bounding box is done well enough there shouldn't be any issues though.
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby bonifarz » 14 Mar 2016 07:50

I should add a small "pick" menu for the flags attribute of mapmodel entities. (EDIT: done)
Suggestions for more models? You could try to make some funny vanities :)
bonifarz

Postby qreeves » 15 Mar 2016 00:43

Always room for more vanities :P
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby Dziq » 16 Mar 2016 01:05

Vanities? hmm not now. .. I think its much harder to do than simple map models.. yes?

Anyway, package v1 released. First post updated :)
Dziq

Postby shirepirate » 16 Mar 2016 01:42

one thing to note, an imperative deciding factor in committing new assets to the game (as a general rule, anyway) is whether they are included with a new map. unused assets are useless until someone uses them, after all. unnamed has notably taken great advantage of this with his very large assortment of textures :P
For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. For every freedom, there is a new limit. For every joy, a new sorrow. For every act of kindness, an unspeakable cruelty. Where someone succeeds, someone else fails. A new association means a new separation. Loyalty meets treachery, honor breeds disgrace, free expression yields censorship. Each piece of knowledge forms new ignorance. Even death gives rise to new life. But the balance of existence is the beginning of wisdom and discernment.
shirepirate

Postby Dziq » 16 Mar 2016 02:10

There should be one package in game, like Community package, for mappers use ;p
Now, there is too few models and textures of some type. But I just cleaning here with my mop..
Dziq

Postby qreeves » 16 Mar 2016 07:07

Dziq wrote:There should be one package in game, like Community package, for mappers use ;p

There is right here. It is recommended that anyone working on a large project they want to share with the community push or submit pull requests to this repository. Simply fork the repository, create your own directory, then add your files to that directory. I will be looking at improving the updater in future to include this repository, as well as any other github repositories to be loaded as a "mod", so stay tuned on that I guess :)
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby restcoser » 16 Mar 2016 15:58

When i have a new release one of the first things i browse through is new textures and models. (and looking through the entity lists and so on), and if a texture is good i think it will eventually be used. sooo that policy is slightly strange for me.

Although i should probably just add textures and models that others make to my homedir, as in, stop being lazy ._.
restcoser

Postby Iceflower » 16 Mar 2016 15:58

Thank you very much for this package!!!
I know my English is cruel. :$
When I talk rubbish correct me.
My public data
Iceflower

Postby bonifarz » 16 Mar 2016 20:35

Good stuff, dziq!
Those brick walls look splendid.
bonifarz

Postby Dziq » 26 Mar 2016 19:45

Im still working on this package, I'm like to do as much as possible in order to make these textures to be ideal (or almost)
On screens below you can see some examples how I'm tweaking textures, almost every one is changed now - but please do not download package from first link to see changes, its still an old version. People interested in this package should wait a bit more for next release I guess :)
ImageImageImage

PS: someone interested of these kind of trees?:
Last edited by Dziq on 01 Apr 2016 13:16, edited 1 time in total.
Dziq

Postby Iceflower » 27 Mar 2016 23:42

Mee MEE MEEEE!!!!! Iam interested!! I would need them sooo much for a map! :) *give me* *give me* 8-)
My public data
Iceflower

Postby bonifarz » 28 Mar 2016 10:25

As I said when you showed me the previews earlier, I really do like the idea of your palm tree. Can you make a second model with a slightly curved trunk?
I'm looking forward to your next update on the community repo.
bonifarz

Postby Dziq » 28 Mar 2016 18:48

next version of package is near complete
-changed all names to lowercase as Quin suggested
-tweaked textures so many looks better now
-new showcase map
-few new textures
-few new models, including two kinds of palm tree
@Iceflower: wait a day or two for next release :)
@boni: something like this? (first is just a normal version. Second one is more curved, taller and have thinner trunk, and little rearranged leaves too)
ImageImage
Dziq

Postby bonifarz » 29 Mar 2016 07:06

The two palm variations look cool. What I had in mind are those tilted and bent trunks you know from beach postcard images. I don't say we need that, it was merely a suggestion :)
bonifarz

Postby Dziq » 01 Apr 2016 15:08

@boni: Done, it is ok ? xD

;)
ok. jokes aside, I can do a more angled trunk too, but what about collison box ? I dont know what to do with this.. maybe scrap that bbox and dont care about that ? hmmm :roll:

edit: another one in production (only I finish this and package will be ready):

EDIT: all done, second version of package is ready :) details are in first post
Dziq

Postby restcoser » 01 Apr 2016 16:56

For redeclipse models, always try to do some collision box, if map authors dont like it, they can change the model to be noclip.
restcoser

Postby Dziq » 01 Apr 2016 17:46

All of these models have collision boxes applied, only light shapers not
Dziq

Postby bonifarz » 02 Apr 2016 09:00

Dziq wrote:only light shapers not
You should have written a few words about these ;)
As far as I have understood, dziq experimented with some invisible cone primitives to get special "lighting inside a mapmodel"-effects.
bonifarz

Postby restcoser » 02 Apr 2016 11:24

Uhm... what? examples? wut
restcoser

Postby Dziq » 03 Apr 2016 00:22

nothing special about it.. on screens above you can see how lights can be directional, without linking to lightfx. examples are in testmap btw. everything is in first post :)
Dziq

Postby Zero » 04 Apr 2016 02:50

Amazing work Dziq. :) I hope these get into the new release if you would allow it.
Zero

Postby Dziq » 05 Apr 2016 00:48

Thanks Zero :) RE is not a sandbox so its a 'zero' chances to see these in official release, maybe in future when I made a map with these (or more maps) and devs include that map.. Or when community repo content will be accessible from game as additional downloadable data (maps, assets, scripts etc)

I working now on set of 3 pipe models:
Dziq

Postby bonifarz » 05 Apr 2016 07:13

Dziq wrote:its a 'zero' chances to see these in official release

I don't think so, seriously.
EDIT: That was maybe a bit short. Of course, the official package should have a reasonable size, so we cannot add textures at will. Though, I'm not sure if all included textures are actually used in the current map rotation. If a texture is of good quality, fits with the theme and is published with a suitable license, I think someone will eventually use it, be it for a new map, a remix or a re-texture. So, I don't think you need to make a map that is accepted for inclusion only to get your textures into the release. Give the community some time to check out your work, and we'll see what will happen ;)

Side note: I want that palm tree included! Now! :lol:
bonifarz

Postby Zero » 05 Apr 2016 16:30

I love some of the textures and the map models. I to want to add some right away. But hate to add them to a map and the assets not be coded in the release or development so everyone would have to download more then just the map files. I have yet to download them. Just love the previews. I'll check out this update and will wait on the new one. Keep up the good work. :)

Edit: Ok so I just checked them out. Gimmie Gimmie! Love the light effect models. Love it all. I want to add them now to.

3 Questions:
Let's say I was to add these to a current map and not a new one. what would I have to exec.

And let's say I wanted to add the update that you release later. Would this mess up the map config with textures and map models with the older version? I'd love to add some but scared it'd mess up my map.

If or Once it's added to dev version. Would I have to replace the model placements because it's been recoded in the .cfg's?

I'm thinking the last two questions are kinda maybe a no brainner that it will mess things up till it's released in the dev version. I guess I'll just wait. It's like having a bunch of half open presents that you can't touch.

Either way, Can't wait. :)
Zero

Postby Dziq » 05 Apr 2016 19:36

Thanks for encouraging :) I still have many things to learn and there is a place to improve this package, maybe I add animated models. Imagine palm leaves so these moves like on wind.. hmmm :ugeek:

@bonifarz: Im happy you liked my trees so much ;p

@Zero:
Q1: "Let's say I was to add these to a current map and not a new one. what would I have to exec. "

Just do "/exec/dziq/models.cfg" or "/exec/dziq/textures.cfg" while in game :)
This will do not mess with your current map.
If you plan to use a palm tree only, rest of the models will be discarded from map.cfg when saved. The same goes for textures: /texturecull will remove unused textures from map.cfg

Q2: "And let's say I wanted to add the update that you release later. Would this mess up the map config with textures and map models with the older version? I'd love to add some but scared it'd mess up my map."

All models and textures in current package have lowercase names now, I dont plan to change names so dont worry.
Each new release should add more models and some textures without messing existing ones.

Q3: "If or Once it's added to dev version. Would I have to replace the model placements because it's been recoded in the .cfg's?"
I think not, because even if included, all paths should be the same, but maybe devs change something. I don't know, but probably not
Remember that you can easily replace all similiar models to new ones just with mouse wheel and holding key 1 or use boni's menuses.
Dziq

Postby bonifarz » 05 Apr 2016 20:05

Don't worry too much, Zero. The most common way to mess up your map is to insert or remove textures or mapmodels in the cfg manually, such that the ordering does not match the slot numbers anymore. But if you just add them at the bottom or /exec a config of extra resources (which does the same), you should be on the save side. Worst thing that can happen is that other clients that do not have the package get a texture error or some missing mapmodels. And as dziq stated, if the path for the new resources remains the same (e.g. home/dziq becomes data/dziq), nothing will need to be changed in a map that uses them.
bonifarz

Postby Zero » 06 Apr 2016 00:48

bonifarz wrote:The most common way to mess up your map is to insert or remove textures or mapmodels in the cfg manually, such that the ordering does not match the slot numbers anymore.

lol Funny you mention that because I had some textures that I guess was hidden inside geometry so I tried to remove all the unused textures from the config manually and did a texturecul then the textures was out of whack. I always back up.

Thanks Bonifarz and Dziq.

I'll play with it tonight just for fun with a back up of course. I won't release nothing without credits to you Dziq and I don't plan on it anytime soon even though I'm ready for a version release. I think we all know what map I'd like to add these to. lol But for now just want to play. :D
Zero

Postby Dziq » 06 Apr 2016 01:05

Thanks for testing package Zero, if you found any issues please give a word :)

I should mention earlier that these light shapers are only prototypes and these definitelly will be changed later.

I dream of ability to scale models on any axis, for models like these light shapers its should be ideal :)
Dziq

Postby Zero » 06 Apr 2016 04:09

No issues so far. All ligns up nicely and the collision boxes are on point. That's fine. If you happen to have them later in the package with same license. I'd love to have them on the map. That would be super useful with the axis. :)

It's looking too good, I'd love to release this also as a example map tomorrow if you don't mind.
And definitely give you credit in the license.
Zero

Postby Dziq » 06 Apr 2016 06:01

You are welcome to use that package as you want, licence will remain intact and if you prepare a example map, then give a link or something :p
Also yes, scaling mapmodels on each axis will be very helpfull but for now Its not possible :(
Anyway I'll be glad to see which textures/models people like the most, so I can do more usefull things. Maybe I start learning how to make vanities or probably in near future - a new weapons
Dziq

Postby Zero » 06 Apr 2016 16:04

Sweet, Thanks Dziq. I was playing with it last night and was like I hope Dziq allows me to do it. Lol I'll share a link and let you do something with it.
I'm siked for you. You do good work. I'll play with the map a little more then release and share a link. I'll also keep in touch on these version updates to keep the map up to date. :) Always excited to see new things. :D
Zero

Postby Dziq » 08 Apr 2016 19:45

Zero, this package is public so.. no need for permision to use ;p

new models in progress.., set of 3 pipes (straight, 90 degree curved and 180 U -type. Also 1 valve mesh and new bench:

Dziq

Postby Zero » 09 Apr 2016 05:39

Sorry I like to stay cautious. :) Love the progress.
Newest map release is up with "DziqPak_v2".

If you do not have this map assets pack, you will see empty spaces and not
get the whole potential.
Download the Map Assets above.
Check out the example map with some of the assets in game: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=854
Zero

Postby Iceflower » 20 Apr 2016 20:31

Thanks a lot but you forgot to upload the textures.cfg in the github repo? ;)

And the command is: /exec dziq/textures.cfg
;)
My public data
Iceflower

Postby Dziq » 07 May 2016 15:06

Yeah I forgot somehow, thanks :). Now its ok

I added names and polycounts on every model (first post and one above).
Dziq

Postby bonifarz » 23 May 2016 16:10

I have the feeling that some of these would be nice to have, even if they are not used in an official map yet. For instance, the vegetation models could fit well on some outdoor areas, like venus or tonatiuh. The wall textures with those nice normal maps seem useful, too. Maybe they could serve for some map retexturing, I don't know.
bonifarz

Postby qreeves » 24 May 2016 00:50

Yeah it is more of a matter of someone who knows what they're doing to go through and pick out which ones. I've been slammed lately.
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby bonifarz » 24 May 2016 15:52

Very true. And I really did not mean to distract you from finalizing the release. This is good stuff, it's available here and on the community repo... and we can still include it any time later.
bonifarz

Postby SniperGoth » 24 May 2016 15:53

I vote for dziq's assets to be added ^^.
Ex Iron fist level designer/ Ex Revelade Revolution level designer, 3d/2d artist, and still trying to figure out sound design...
SniperGoth

Postby Zero » 24 May 2016 21:03

SniperGoth wrote:I vote for dziq's assets to be added ^^.

I second that. :)
Zero

Postby bonifarz » 25 May 2016 09:39

Dziq wrote:ImageImageImage

I have the feeling these would serve as relatively small background elements, and for that, they really have a lot of detail. Can you try to lower the polygon count on these? Alternately, you could split your package into a candidate for inclusion and an experimental package. E.g. I'm not sure where your light cones would go then, the purpose for lighting seems a bit odd, but transparent cones to mimic the luster from a light source seem cool.
bonifarz

Postby Dziq » 25 May 2016 16:37

:) what about volt_sign, ivy, hanging greens, girder ? these have only a few tris.

@Bonifarz: Im reworking hydrant now, mesh is ready (530 tris, earlier over 1700). it just need new unwrap and paint it :)
I dont know what to do with palm trees, since I want these to be animated, but I have issues with importing these to RE properly, so I guess these can wait more
Dziq

Postby Zero » 26 May 2016 02:15

I used the fire hydrant and many others in Hostile. Love it. I tried to do it in geometry. Didn't look as good as Dziq's version. Plus it helped bring down the triangles. I find it's use very useful in city/urban scapes. That would be a mapmodel worth keeping in my opinion. :)

The boiler could be more useful if it had a extended pipe so the map makers don't have to do that in geo. Way of being connected or feel more alive and that it should be there.

Deco_tech02 is a bit of a puzzle. Looks cool but don't know where I'd add it.

The rest of the map models look amazing. Animated models are always nice. For people who have the option in the game where the interface or player moves in idle. Makes tree's look animated. But would be nice to have some actual swaying plantation.

The textures look more 3d and realistic.

Can't wait for this to be moved over to the new version of R.E. Vote +1 :)
Zero

Postby bonifarz » 26 May 2016 07:03

As you guys know, I'm not an expert in this field. I just looked at your numbers and pointed at some meshes that look as if they could be optimized considerably. Actually, I guess this is also the case for the voltage sign, which indeed has a light vertex count, but a trivial shape (except for the round corners, which probably look fine with less detail). It's just not that important to tweak, as it will be used sparingly anyway. And palm trees are nice, even if you cannot include the animations yet.
bonifarz

Postby Dziq » 26 May 2016 20:49

volt_sign have 152 poly, its like nothing O.o
I'm finished hydrant, now its 530 polys. Now it's time for a boiler and new pipes set since these have too much tris and don't fit well with that boiler thingy
Dziq

Postby bonifarz » 11 Jun 2016 09:42

I have just seen that some of your work has been included :)
EDIT: Uhm, I don't know why, but git pull & git submodule update did not fetch the contents of the new submodule.
EDIT: Ah, never mind. A simple git submodule init fixed this :)
bonifarz

Postby Dziq » 11 Jun 2016 17:08

I didn't expect that honestly :D big surprise for me when Shirepirate informed me about that :)
Anyway I'm happy with that, especially with textures that I like, these are now included and can be used for mapping :)

Thank you guys for support until now :) I'll update hydrant model to that new-lowest-poly one when I resolve just one texture issue, of course I'll show it here first.

PS:
please someone put hydrant on a map and tell me if you see "white lines" where UV seams are ? (especially when looking more from far). its only for me (hardware) or maybe RE rendering messing this up ?
Dziq

Postby shirepirate » 11 Jun 2016 22:12

that model is already added to Center, and I see no abnormalities
For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. For every freedom, there is a new limit. For every joy, a new sorrow. For every act of kindness, an unspeakable cruelty. Where someone succeeds, someone else fails. A new association means a new separation. Loyalty meets treachery, honor breeds disgrace, free expression yields censorship. Each piece of knowledge forms new ignorance. Even death gives rise to new life. But the balance of existence is the beginning of wisdom and discernment.
shirepirate

Postby Dziq » 12 Jun 2016 14:46

its 1700 poly IIRC, later I reworked hydrant to something like 400 tris, so update to new one or that one existing is ok with that polycount ? (new one is uglier, less details _ but its look ok and allows to put more of these on a map)

I just looked at Center, and why hydrant is taller than player itself ? xD please use scale 100 to make it look at proper size :) (also just two of them ? there are few spots that hydrant might fit nicely too around this map :)
Dziq

Postby shirepirate » 12 Jun 2016 19:56

update it with the lower poly count. you can adjust the scale but 100 seems a bit small, one thing you might not have realized about RE is maps are generally not close to fitting the player scale. this is because it isn't easy to perform the parkour maneuvers with such a small playing area. so models in general should fit the size of the geometry around them rather than the player.
shirepirate

Postby shacknetisp » 12 Jun 2016 21:13

I also thought the hydrant was too large, at that scale it contrasts with the map a lot and doesn't look too good.
shacknetisp

Postby Dziq » 13 Apr 2017 00:09

How do you people think about ladder model ? its seamless (as much as possible) and can be used like fences or something, ladder01 have 48 tris, totally "hand" painted from scratch, hope someone like this mesh.
Quick note: All my models that are not included in game can be found in RE/community repository HERE, hit green button and download as zip if you need :)
First post is updated with new info too

for now just 3 screens showing how this one looks:

as ladder:

as fences:
Imageurl]
Dziq

Postby qreeves » 13 Apr 2017 05:16

Looks great!
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby SniperGoth » 13 Apr 2017 13:00

I agree, looks great ^^
SniperGoth

Postby Dziq » 16 Apr 2017 01:21

thanks, maybe include it in game then ;p ?

anyway, Im fixed that ugly hydrant, it have even less tris now (by ~20), nice normalmap (better than before ;) and mask file for nicer specular reflections
Earlier I was a total noob at 3D painting but now results are a little better I think, no ?

that brown one is current one:
Dziq

Postby Zero » 17 Apr 2017 06:50

Everything looks sweet. Huge improvements and add on's. After seeing the ladder I have a small request lol. ;) I know you're busy with other things but maybe like a chain link fence or something lol There are no blockade like fencing in RE. Only thing to do is increase the size of a grate which at a higher scale looks too thick to be a fence. And creating one in game takes up too much triangles or something for detail. Not sure if that's the same for map models.
Zero

Postby Dziq » 18 Apr 2017 15:21

I don't really know what you need Zero, something like that ?
Dziq

Postby bonifarz » 18 Apr 2017 20:01

Looks splendid, dziq.

That's flat geometry with clever use of an alpha mask and bumpmaps on the texture, right? Would be very nice to have such a map model, with or without the frame part.
bonifarz

Postby Dziq » 20 Apr 2017 19:20

actually yes, its just flat surface with alpha texturing, hmmm I probably do this without frames (these will be as second model?)

EDIT: almost finished, now its consist of 4 models as seen on image below (numbers are tris amount):

I have issue with diffuse texture, now its size it's almost 5MB (2048x2048 png), tested it and at 1024 looks very blurry. I probably going to split some faces to resolve this (UV's trick), so tris amount will be (from left): 100 - 8 - 8 - 12
Is there an other method to display translucent parts on models without alpha-based images ?
Dziq

Postby qreeves » 20 Apr 2017 22:34

Dziq wrote:Is there an other method to display translucent parts on models without alpha-based images ?

Not really, unless you make actual physical holes (which would add way too many verts). I think you have the right idea breaking it up into smaller pieces and mapping a smaller texture to each piece.
qreeves
Site Admin

Return to Maps and Mods