New SMG model

User created maps and modifications, showcase your latest map, model, etc

New SMG model

Postby Rabidbutton » 11 Mar 2015 17:00

I've decided to take another stab at this, the model is practically done just needs a coat of paint and some animations which I'm starting to work on now, currently the texture is still in an experimental early phase and very much a work in progress as you can see from the images below...
Update: weapon mesh triangle count 1494, item mesh triangle count 1060
Attachments
SMG.png
20150504142453.png
20150504151725.png
Rabidbutton

Re: New SMG model

Postby unixfreak » 11 Mar 2015 18:42

It certainly looks more deadly than the current model. I think it would work.

To me it gives the impression of an assault rifle, especially from the hud view. Maybe the barrel is the culprit for that? Or is this an SMG with a silencer?

It looks great though. :D
unixfreak

Postby ImQ009 » 11 Mar 2015 18:49

Looks pretty neat, though (as you said) the texturing still needs a lot of work.
ImQ009

Postby shirepirate » 11 Mar 2015 23:19

hm, i also think this is an improvement over the current model. i'm still all for heavier sound effects for the smg, too. it sounds a little too calm as it is.
For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. For every freedom, there is a new limit. For every joy, a new sorrow. For every act of kindness, an unspeakable cruelty. Where someone succeeds, someone else fails. A new association means a new separation. Loyalty meets treachery, honor breeds disgrace, free expression yields censorship. Each piece of knowledge forms new ignorance. Even death gives rise to new life. But the balance of existence is the beginning of wisdom and discernment.
shirepirate

Postby LostSouls » 12 Mar 2015 01:53

An SMG with silencer is a good one. In my opinion you can test the sound of a SMG cs 16 of CT . But an original sound is much better :)
LostSouls

Postby bloodfox » 12 Mar 2015 19:27

That looks waaay better than the original model! Good job! :D

Can't wait for it to be released :)
In game name: TheChickenNugget
=============================
bloodfox

Postby LostSouls » 12 Mar 2015 20:51

Or qreeves might add - it along with the zapper ?
LostSouls

Postby bonifarz » 13 Mar 2015 06:47

LostSouls wrote:Or qreeves might add - it along with the zapper ?

http://redeclipse.net/wiki/Obtain_development_version
The zapper is in the devel version for quite a while, and compared to the 1.4 release version, there are also new models by unnamed for the rocket and plasma.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14
bonifarz

Postby Evropi » 13 Mar 2015 13:27

It looks good but it's too militaristic for RE's style in my opinion. I would like it to be a simpler, more stylised shape, with a more interesting grip.
Evropi

Postby LostSouls » 13 Mar 2015 16:00

Bonifarz I say, add it as another weapon and not as a model.
LostSouls

Postby yoloDonor » 13 Mar 2015 16:36

LostSouls wrote:Bonifarz I say, add it as another weapon and not as a model.

I agree with this, RE needs more weapons. I love the weapons we have ATM, but we could use some more, like a rpg or something.
yoloDonor

Postby freezurbern » 13 Mar 2015 16:40

yoloDonor wrote:

I agree with this, RE needs more weapons. I love the weapons we have ATM, but we could use some more, like a rpg or something.

We have a rocket. Is that not enough? There's already seven or eight weapons right now, and with the massive variable list, one can customized them making 'new' weapons in-game.
freezurbern

Postby LostSouls » 13 Mar 2015 16:58

freezurbern wrote:
yoloDonor wrote:

We have a rocket. Is that not enough? There's already seven or eight weapons right now, and with the massive variable list, one can customized them making 'new' weapons in-game.

The rocket is good, but freez, I just said, I gave my opinion that another weapon in the game can be a good idea
LostSouls

Postby bonifarz » 13 Mar 2015 19:15

New loadout weapons can make a great addition for gameplay, but the difficult part is to keep them all well balanced. Also, every weapon should have its own purpose and style. I guess the type of weapon you are missing is a heavy machine gun, LostSouls? Will probably not fit well with the agile gameplay of RE. Or is it just a "more weapons please"? ;)
bonifarz

Postby LostSouls » 13 Mar 2015 20:38

bonifarz wrote:New loadout weapons can make a great addition for gameplay, but the difficult part is to keep them all well balanced. Also, every weapon should have its own purpose and style. I guess the type of weapon you are missing is a heavy machine gun, LostSouls? Will probably not fit well with the agile gameplay of RE. Or is it just a "more weapons please"? ;)

YES a heavier machine gun, but as you mentioned, would be bad with fast gameplay RE.
So maybe it could be a request for more please weapon.
AndroidEl told me once that the flamer could be modified as medical weapon, but this talk of medical weapon'll be more to create classes or something :)
LostSouls

Postby shirepirate » 13 Mar 2015 21:23

let's try to stay on the topic of this SMG model. additional weapons in RE are another discussion.
For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. For every freedom, there is a new limit. For every joy, a new sorrow. For every act of kindness, an unspeakable cruelty. Where someone succeeds, someone else fails. A new association means a new separation. Loyalty meets treachery, honor breeds disgrace, free expression yields censorship. Each piece of knowledge forms new ignorance. Even death gives rise to new life. But the balance of existence is the beginning of wisdom and discernment.
shirepirate

Postby Evropi » 14 Mar 2015 00:43

I don't want a new weapon myself. I don't think this would make a good new weapon either. As I said, I don't think it fits RE's art style until it is made more scifi and less close to real world guns. It would be amazing for a modern military shooter though, but I can't think of a single good open source one aside from AssaultCube Reloaded.
Evropi

Postby Unnamed » 14 Mar 2015 19:26

A silencer is a good idea as the smg sound is very calm, but the model looks a bit too large. It also looks too militaristic. It is quite difficult to hit RE's style.

yoloDonor wrote:
Campy wrote:What about an Assault Rifle, with more damage than SMG, 3 shots-burst fire mode and balanced with high recoil or small clips?

That would be nice, as it would be slower, yet more powerful than the SMG. Do you think some sort of launcher would work?

I don't think an assault rifle could fit to RE and higher damage will be very difficult to balance.
I thought about a grenade launcher with small explosion radius so it is more difficult to hit someone. I don't think it is a good idea as well and it will also be difficult to balance.
Unnamed

Postby yoloDonor » 15 Mar 2015 00:44

Unnamed wrote:A silencer is a good idea as the smg sound is very calm, but the model looks a bit too large. It also looks too militaristic. It is quite difficult to hit RE's style.

yoloDonor wrote:
Campy wrote:What about an Assault Rifle, with more damage than SMG, 3 shots-burst fire mode and balanced with high recoil or small clips?

That would be nice, as it would be slower, yet more powerful than the SMG. Do you think some sort of launcher would work?

I don't think an assault rifle could fit to RE and higher damage will be very difficult to balance.
I thought about a grenade launcher with small explosion radius so it is more difficult to hit someone. I don't think it is a good idea as well and it will also be difficult to balance.

Well. . . How about some type of launcher that slows do enemies? Like a ice gun, perhaps? Or perhaps something that shoots out a glob that could stick to the floor, and if a player walks on it, it slows them down
yoloDonor

Postby qreeves » 15 Mar 2015 01:21

We typically limit ourselves to one new weapon per release. This way we have time to work on the weapon balance before introducing another one (plus it gives people something to look forward to). Weapons in Red Eclipse are required to be simple and unique as well; this means I wouldn't at two different machine guns as they overlap a little. The other ideas are already possible candidates for the next release, but that's a discussion/poll for a later date.

For 1.5 we have the zapper, and I have secret plans for a whole new class of items that players will be able to add to their existing loadouts *wink*. So, stay tuned!
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby yoloDonor » 15 Mar 2015 13:44

qreeves wrote:We typically limit ourselves to one new weapon per release. This way we have time to work on the weapon balance before introducing another one (plus it gives people something to look forward to). Weapons in Red Eclipse are required to be simple and unique as well; this means I wouldn't at two different machine guns as they overlap a little. The other ideas are already possible candidates for the next release, but that's a discussion/poll for a later date.

For 1.5 we have the zapper, and I have secret plans for a whole new class of items that players will be able to add to their existing loadouts *wink*. So, stay tuned!

Sounds cool! *wink wink*
yoloDonor

Postby Rabidbutton » 04 May 2015 04:16

Just to let everyone know I haven't given up on this project even though admittedly development has been slow, the animations are finished for both third and first person view now(may need some minor clean ups): the first texture sheet is close to being finished though there are a few minor details which could use some adjustments that come to mind and the second texture sheet is on its way, there seems to be a muddy effect created when there are no anisotropic filtering settings in use too and I'm trying to sort that out, also the configuration seems to for the most part disregard the actual bone position for the firing point and shell eject which means I've had to manually set the positioning for both of them any suggestions for this would be great :) I can upload the entire model in its current state for 1.5 as well if anyone is interested
Rabidbutton

Postby qreeves » 04 May 2015 04:24

Uploading it might be a good idea if you'd like me to debug the bone tagging issue.
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby Rabidbutton » 04 May 2015 04:40

Sure, should be everything here:
SMG(1.5).zip
(6.18 MiB) Downloaded 137 times
Rabidbutton

Postby Iceflower » 04 May 2015 11:16

I dont know if i have everything done right, because it looks like that the weapon moves wile shooting around, like melee attack. And the reloading animation, is not very visible (and not existing in 3rd person?) ::D

For set the fire direction a very big help is "/smglaser 1" ;) (in the rocket model this still shows crazy :D but anyway)

Hm iam not really sure but match first person view the third? i think the player holds the weapon different.
I know my English is cruel. :$
When I talk rubbish correct me.
My public data
Iceflower

Postby Rabidbutton » 04 May 2015 11:55

Wow yeah you're right that was a train wreck! out of all of the things that could have gone wrong that was unexpected, anyway I've re-uploaded it and it should work correctly now thanks for pointing that out, I'll test it this time to make sure :lol:

(As a side note the reload animation is set to fit with 1750ms of delay in game)
Rabidbutton

Postby unixfreak » 04 May 2015 13:27

I see you updated the screenshots. Looks much better now. The picture with the player holding the gun looks really cool.
unixfreak

Postby Iceflower » 04 May 2015 15:44

I have uploaded two pictures where you can see the weapon direction.

And whats about colouring the weaopn with the $weaponcol ? :D Like in the first picture. (I have add a colour too every second slot of the magazine in the texture)
Attachments
20150504164040.png
Weapon direction
20150504163839.png
Weapon direction
20150504171017.png
Texturing?
I know my English is cruel. :$
When I talk rubbish correct me.
My public data
Iceflower

Postby acerspyro » 04 May 2015 16:59

shirepirate wrote:hm, i also think this is an improvement over the current model. i'm still all for heavier sound effects for the smg, too. it sounds a little too calm as it is.

Agreed. Completely agreed. Fart machines are boring.
*screams internally*
acerspyro

Postby qreeves » 05 May 2015 04:47

IIRC if you're using Blender you have to do something to the joints/bones before exporting. "tag_muzzle" should be at the end of the weapon where the bullets come out.
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby zejak » 13 Feb 2017 18:55

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong but when I install it claw model breaks and corpse lose physics.
zejak

Postby qreeves » 16 Feb 2017 11:26

zejak wrote:Perhaps I'm doing something wrong but when I install it claw model breaks and corpse lose physics.

It is probably made for an older version of RE.
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby Alxa » 16 Feb 2017 16:53

wow, this looks great
I'm pure love to everyone. Official RE Duel Commentator.
Alxa

Return to Maps and Mods