[MAP] Citadel Level 1

User created maps and modifications, showcase your latest map, model, etc

[MAP] Citadel Level 1

Postby Rancore202 » 28 Dec 2016 03:32

This map is a replica of Level 1, the medical level of Citadel station, from the 1994 video game 'System Shock' made by 'Looking Glass Technologies'.
I take no credit for that design. I'm just a fan with too much free time.

Screenshots:

Neurosurgery: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Fiib-cuCD2bnJfS01yMGdvZTQ/view?usp=sharing
Central Hub: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Fiib-cuCD2Y2RNaWRYZV9CR1k/view?usp=sharing
Maintenance: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Fiib-cuCD2c2Y5a3ZaazRhR3M/view?usp=sharing
Beta Quadrant: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Fiib-cuCD2QXVpUEkxY2FKb3M/view?usp=sharing
CPU Core: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Fiib-cuCD2NE14bWRnZ0xNU1k/view?usp=sharing

I claim no particular copyright, since this map is based on an existing work; my only hope is that the map is played and enjoyed.
Licence: CC0 1.0
(Though I do personally request that any modifications made to the map stay true to its design philosophies: only use Red Eclipse's in-game content, and accuracy to the original comes first.)
This map is not intended for inclusion in Red Eclipse, merely to be manually downloaded and played.

No textures, sounds, or other such media forms from System Shock were used, only content existing in Red Eclipse's editor.
The geometry alone was recreated from System Shock, and was done by hand.

Download:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Fiib-cuCD2aEpSZ2FTenZONjQ/view?usp=sharing
Version 1.1 (Fixed directories; removed uncompressed screenshots; updated info to include CC0 licence.)
(This links directly to my Google Drive, so please don't completely crash it.)

Enjoy.
Last edited by Rancore202 on 29 Dec 2016 00:35, edited 1 time in total.
Rancore202

Re: [MAP] Citadel Level 1

Postby qreeves » 28 Dec 2016 05:13

The reason we suggest a license is because in some jurisdictions you can't give up your rights to a work (implied copyright). If you don't care how your work is distributed and used, we recommend Creative Commons' Zero (CC-0) license, as it covers these edge cases. Also, when distributing a map in a zip file, it is recommended you not add extraneous directories, it should just contain your map in the root of the archive so it can be placed in the user's home directory without needing to be extracted.

eg:
Code: Select all
citadel.zip
|- citadel.cfg
|- citadel.mpz
|- citadel.png
`- citadel.wpz

Other than that, seems to be a good recreation, but you may want to pay more attention to the lighting as you've mostly replicated the original, warts and all. You might consider just using your own geometry to create the computers in the core room, although the Nieb models do work rather nicely here in a modern sort of way. Welcome to RE, and enjoy mapping!
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby Rancore202 » 28 Dec 2016 05:30

qreeves wrote:If you don't care how your work is distributed and used, we recommend Creative Commons' Zero (CC-0) license, as it covers these edge cases.

Thank you for the advice. I will probably update accordingly tomorrow.
qreeves wrote:...when distributing a map in a zip file, it is recommended you not add extraneous directories, it should just contain your map in the root of the archive so it can be placed in the user's home directory without needing to be extracted.

Good point. I forgot about loading from the zip. The uncompressed screenshots aren't really worth retaining in the file, and will be removed tomorrow.
qreeves wrote:...but you may want to pay more attention to the lighting as you've mostly replicated the original, warts and all. You might consider just using your own geometry to create the computers in the core room, although the Nieb models do work rather nicely here in a modern sort of way.

Yes, my philosophy with the lighting was accuracy over everything, which is admittedly a bit of a cop out, since I am not experienced with lighting.
Plus the map is sizeable, with many light sources, so I was concerned with possible detrimental effects of excessive lights.

As for the CPU nodes… I'm not sure how well I could recreate them using only textures present in RE(, another stipulation I gave the project), and I found the conventional servers oddly charming in such a futuristic environment. But I will admit it irked me, also. If I find the motivation, I may replace them.

qreeves wrote:Welcome to RE, and enjoy mapping!

Thank you! :D
Rancore202

Postby qreeves » 28 Dec 2016 05:36

Rancore202 wrote:Plus the map is sizeable, with many light sources, so I was concerned with possible detrimental effects of excessive lights.

Well, the lights you place in maps are static, they are generated when you do "/calclight" and stored with the map file, so don't worry about the amount (having more means you can make specific spots look better).
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby Rancore202 » 28 Dec 2016 05:47

qreeves wrote:Well, the lights you place in maps are static, they are generated when you do "/calclight" and stored with the map file, so don't worry about the amount (having more means you can make specific spots look better).

Right! Lightmaps!
Man, I need to get back into my early-2000s game engine mindset.

I may sweep through the map, polishing up areas of weird lighting, but that will also be on an "if I find the motivation" basis.
This was somewhat rushed out near the end, as I wanted to get it out of the way, and devote more of my time to other concurrent projects.
Rancore202

Postby SniperGoth » 28 Dec 2016 22:55

"REMEMBER CITADEL"
Looks very faithful to the original, i have to say.
If you have the motivation, you can even add enemy actors to it, just in case (they Spawn on the Onslaught mutator, you can set turrets, drones and grunts, set their health/speed etc etc), or even make it an sort of campaign-ish map (Race-Gauntlet comes into my mind).
Do you also plan to recreate System Shock 2's levels?
Ex Iron fist level designer/ Ex Revelade Revolution level designer, 3d/2d artist, and still trying to figure out sound design...
SniperGoth

Postby Rancore202 » 28 Dec 2016 23:51

SniperGoth wrote:If you have the motivation, you can even add enemy actors to it, just in case (they Spawn on the Onslaught mutator, you can set turrets, drones and grunts, set their health/speed etc etc), or even make it an sort of campaign-ish map (Race-Gauntlet comes into my mind).

So that's what those are for…
Could be interesting for a future update, but I'll probably wait until movers are added to RE, so I can make actual elevators.
SniperGoth wrote:Do you also plan to recreate System Shock 2's levels?

Maybe, but not in Red Eclipse.
The reason I made a SS1 level in RE is because they both use a voxel grid construction, so it was easy to translate.

SS2's Dark Engine works via brushes, in the Binary Space Partitioning format, I believe.
This makes it ideal to be ported into the other game I want to map for, Jedi Academy.
Red Eclipse's streamlined simplicity also makes any maps recreated from complex games like System Shock feel a bit… barren.

I may make SS1's Level 8, though. ;)
Rancore202

Return to Maps and Mods