List of what has to be done for 1.5 release?

All posts that don't fit into another category, discuss ideas and other things

List of what has to be done for 1.5 release?

Postby Calinou » 20 Sep 2014 10:26

Is there a list anywhere of what has to be done for 1.5 release?

If not, could quin make one then?
Calinou

Re: List of what has to be done for 1.5 release?

Postby SylvieLorxu » 20 Sep 2014 10:34

I guess this could be useful. 1.5 is long overdue, and I personally don't know what's keeping us from releasing it aside from the horrible release-day-stress.
SylvieLorxu / TheLastProject | Global Administrator, Red Eclipse | Signature thief
SylvieLorxu

Postby qreeves » 20 Sep 2014 10:57

Been wanting to make a topic like this to ask the same question. What needs doing for us to tie it all up and push out a release?

Off the top of my head..
  • zapper needs to be added to all maps
  • some maps need texture updates or removal (eg. processing, darkness [priority])
  • nobiax models need reviewing, costly ones fixed or culled
  • check maps for correct settings: mapbalance, numplayers, maxplayers
  • include any maps, mods, and models waiting to be added
  • ensure the default teambalance settings work adequately enough
  • test both online and offline for bugs and report them
  • come up with an edition codename beginning with the letter "A"
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby death » 22 Sep 2014 12:00

Mines should be team-friendly. Edit: ignore this.
Last edited by death on 29 Sep 2014 19:18, edited 1 time in total.
death

Postby Unnamed » 24 Sep 2014 13:32

I noticed the reload animations are too slow as the reload time of most weapons has been lowered.
Unnamed

Postby Samplidude » 24 Sep 2014 14:22

Also, now that reload times were changed, the sounds arent fitting in some cases.
Hi! It is me, remember?
Samplidude

Postby shirepirate » 28 Sep 2014 04:53

i've noticed the loading screen for a match (for those of us not using a SSD :( ) changed since 1.4? now it shows a large blown up version of what is originally a 512x512 image. idk, i'm not sure this has quite the intended effect. it's sort of ugly and annoying (i don't mean that to be too harsh. i think it was better in 1.4 honestly)
For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. For every freedom, there is a new limit. For every joy, a new sorrow. For every act of kindness, an unspeakable cruelty. Where someone succeeds, someone else fails. A new association means a new separation. Loyalty meets treachery, honor breeds disgrace, free expression yields censorship. Each piece of knowledge forms new ignorance. Even death gives rise to new life. But the balance of existence is the beginning of wisdom and discernment.
shirepirate

Postby shirepirate » 29 Sep 2014 23:14

also what appears when you press tab during a match seems to have changed? it used to show map info, author, modes and mutators info, etc. now it only shows the scoreboard and nothing else.

also the "ask if you'd like to save" function seems to ask even if you've just saved the map and made no changes, then try to exit. i suppose that's not too important but it seems like unusual behavior.
For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. For every freedom, there is a new limit. For every joy, a new sorrow. For every act of kindness, an unspeakable cruelty. Where someone succeeds, someone else fails. A new association means a new separation. Loyalty meets treachery, honor breeds disgrace, free expression yields censorship. Each piece of knowledge forms new ignorance. Even death gives rise to new life. But the balance of existence is the beginning of wisdom and discernment.
shirepirate

Postby qreeves » 13 Oct 2014 04:21

So it seems we're getting closer to finishing up with the last of the maps receiving the necessary updates for 1.5. Are there any bugs or items on the issue tracker which need doing before we release? Any maps/mods/etc need reviewing? Speak now or forever hold your peace, lol.
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby radiant » 13 Oct 2014 10:33

My biggest remaining issues:
F2 menu entries other than maps in the rotation are in a haphazard order on some systems (including mine), which makes it extremely annoying to find anything
the ability to use in-game commands to rename or delete demos
and some old Trac issues about survivor + CTF/BB, or survivor + mapbalance
There was also one about defend CTF and remembering the flag's "time until reset" countdown after a pickup and drop, which was closed at the time for breaking protocol. Since 1.5 is already a protocol breaker, this might be able to be spliced in too.
radiant

Postby SylvieLorxu » 13 Oct 2014 23:04

The "freestyle" icon still uses the "jetpack" icon. This is mostly fine, but the jetpack on the icon is pretty weird, maybe that could be removed from the player's back?
SylvieLorxu / TheLastProject | Global Administrator, Red Eclipse | Signature thief
SylvieLorxu

Postby FaTony » 15 Oct 2014 14:56

I've modified Rooftop as you requested. Waiting for your feedback.
FaTony

Postby SniperGoth » 15 Oct 2014 16:00

I don't know if this is the right topic for this, but i would like the community to review my assets (Models, Textures) to see if they are worth for inclusion on the game.
Im going to upload them soon, since the file is quite.... big.
Ex Iron fist level designer/ Ex Revelade Revolution level designer, 3d/2d artist, and still trying to figure out sound design...
SniperGoth

Postby freezurbern » 15 Oct 2014 17:36

SniperGoth wrote:I don't know if this is the right topic for this, but i would like the community to review my assets (Models, Textures) to see if they are worth for inclusion on the game.
Im going to upload them soon, since the file is quite.... big.

When you upload them some place, I know it'd be more work on your part, but please organize them into sections for us! I'm more interested in textures than models, so it'd be great if I could get *just* your textures. This would also help other people, i'd think.
freezurbern

Postby SniperGoth » 15 Oct 2014 17:44

freezurbern wrote:When you upload them some place, I know it'd be more work on your part, but please organize them into sections for us! I'm more interested in textures than models, so it'd be great if I could get *just* your textures. This would also help other people, i'd think.

I have them separate, like data/sgtextures for my textures, and data/models/sgmodel for my models. No need to worry :)
But the package is a bit big.... ~200 megabytes of textures, and ~150 megabytes of models.
While the models don't have the greatest texture work on them, they get the job done.
Ex Iron fist level designer/ Ex Revelade Revolution level designer, 3d/2d artist, and still trying to figure out sound design...
SniperGoth

Postby bonifarz » 17 Oct 2014 10:20

I feel sorry to bump an old question, but do we want to keep the spectator-refill in trial? There have been some detailed thoughts by radiant, and I don't know if we should consider a complicated solution, or just raise the respawn timer for a few ms, maybe only for exiting spectator mode? Also, I have just seen that radiant placed some awesome routes on the trial maps. Do the advanced (ID=1) routes rely on the refill trick? i guess some do. So, have we gotten used to that trick such that it is better kept as a "feature"? ;)
Note: Actually, this is really not something that "has to be done" for the release, but maybe it is an easy fix that just got forgotten.
bonifarz

Postby SylvieLorxu » 17 Oct 2014 19:18

I'd like to refer to this topic: http://redeclipse.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=231.

I understand this will probably not be solved before 1.5, but it's one of the longest-existing issues in RE, so...
SylvieLorxu

Postby SniperGoth » 17 Oct 2014 19:45

I did a quick run trough the most famous map glitches. Everything seems to be ok atm. But Ghost still has the flag texture on the back of a building, but that's a sort of easter egg, i like to think.
SniperGoth

Postby radiant » 17 Oct 2014 20:20

bonifarz wrote:I feel sorry to bump an old question, but do we want to keep the spectator-refill in trial? There have been some detailed thoughts by radiant, and I don't know if we should consider a complicated solution, or just raise the respawn timer for a few ms, maybe only for exiting spectator mode? Also, I have just seen that radiant placed some awesome routes on the trial maps. Do the advanced (ID=1) routes rely on the refill trick? i guess some do. So, have we gotten used to that trick such that it is better kept as a "feature"? ;)
Note: Actually, this is really not something that "has to be done" for the release, but maybe it is an easy fix that just got forgotten.

All of the trial routes are zero-death routes. Wait times are not captured in a route anyway, nor is the completion time. It's only a set of points, connected by paths whenever they happen to be close enough.

I still think it's a good idea to give a faint but visible glow to the checkpoints, following some color scheme like: green = start/finish/last, blue = hasn't already been hit this lap, white = this is your current respawn point, red = has already been hit (and you're going the wrong way). Additionally, being inside one of those spheres could cause the meter to fill faster (with a new variable--impulseregencheckpoint 3.0? Obviously this wouldn't apply in endurance), if not refill it outright as soon as the player tags a new one. Those would help with 1) allowing me to fix Purge without making the stage even more annoying (if players accidentally miss a shrunken checkpoint), and 2) adjusting the balance so that dying, waiting the half-second, and setting off again with a full bar might no longer be profitable, compared to letting it refill naturally.
radiant

Postby unixfreak » 18 Oct 2014 01:17

qreeves wrote:So it seems we're getting closer to finishing up with the last of the maps receiving the necessary updates for 1.5. Are there any bugs or items on the issue tracker which need doing before we release? Any maps/mods/etc need reviewing? Speak now or forever hold your peace, lol.

In case it was overlooked, i just noticed sv_allowedmaps doesn't apply as a filter for editing mode.

example

servinit.cfg:
sv_allowedmaps echo

/map colony
Code: Select all
access denied, you  need to be an operator to select maps not in the rotation

/edit colony
*map loads*
unixfreak

Postby radiant » 18 Oct 2014 02:42

It wouldn't make much sense if edit mode were restricted to that rotation, since it would even block a new blank map for being started and defeat much of the purpose of editing. For what it's worth, sv_modelockfilter blocks the whole editing mode by default (it's the 2 bit), so this behavior shouldn't even matter on most public servers.
radiant

Postby Bobbo » 18 Oct 2014 13:07

The trees on Convolution are nocliped, or just aren't solid and so can be hidden inside of. They're big enough to conceal the player.
Bobbo

Postby Bobbo » 18 Oct 2014 14:07

Map issues:
biolytic: Two geometry issues, some textures (a ledge near red base and that triangle cutout).
keystone2k: Halved grenade count in bases -- too many on map
deli: Some minor geometry fixes (which I can't remember what were because I done them ages ago and you never merged it in it seems).
deli: Should have mapbalance 1 (included in the zip).

Code issues:
pick random will select locked modes
pick random can select illegal combinations of game modes (such as defend-quick-protect ctf).
rifle2 cooking still forces you to rescope after each shot.
checkmaps doesn't work if there's only one client
checkmaps has an erroneous "s" before the player's rank icon.
Bots are too eager to throw a bomb to team mates
"bots attack" reports option to target a player, "bots attack <player>" yields the same result as "bots attack".

Vars/balance issues:
smg is still op
shotgun2 sounds really weird for some reason (sounds like it's playing the same sound 20 times at the same time)?
shotgun2 should either get shotgundamage2 20 or shotgunflakdamage2 7, with preference of shotgundamage2 20, to promote aiming instead of spray n pray -- You overnerfed it
riflecooktime2 is far too long, should be around 100-200ms like you agreed when we spoke about it ages ago.
The +50 shields from buff (maxhealth 150) should be replaced with [capture|defend|bomber]buffshield 1.875

Other:
Parkour behaviour concerning wall jumping is really weird, is there some way to revert that to how it was in 1.4?

More later, maybe
Attachments
keystone2k.mpz
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 947 times
biolytic.mpz
(1.78 MiB) Downloaded 1013 times
deli_fix.zip
(1.7 MiB) Downloaded 908 times
Bobbo

Postby shirepirate » 18 Oct 2014 22:39

biolytic and keystone2k committed, that deli file is too old and not based on the current rev.

convolution fixed

map balance is intended to fix an advantage or disadvantage a team may have on a given map. deli is like 95% symmetrical, and no such problems exist, so why force a team switch? it's annoying enough on the maps that require it.

the parkour was tweaked on purpose, personally i like the new style but to each their own

bot behavior in bomberball / defend the flag is pretty bad currently, tweaks are definitely needed.

i find it interesting you think smg is overpowered, personally i can't accomplish any shit with smg2 now. it's almost useless, even at close range.
shirepirate

Postby Bobbo » 18 Oct 2014 22:53

shirepirate wrote:biolytic and keystone2k committed, that deli file is too old and not based on the current rev.

Well... It's the one I posted a few months ago, but no one ever told me if it got merged in or not and I don't know. I did look and it doesn't seem like it had changed... But, again, bad commit logs so I can't tell.

shirepirate wrote:map balance is intended to fix an advantage or disadvantage a team may have on a given map. deli is like 95% symmetrical, and no such problems exist, so why force a team switch? it's annoying enough on the maps that require it.

One team (red, iirc) is slightly closer to the rocket spawn. Blue team has some advantage due to slight variations in the map for ctf games, such as the 'windows' from the middle section on the nearside of the flag points and that little hiding area.
It's enough to make me dislike being on a particular team (depends if it's ctf or bb) as it effect parkour lines.

the parkour was tweaked on purpose, personally i like the new style but to each their own

I jump off the wall and lose height when I used to gain it, kinda awkward.
Bobbo

Postby SniperGoth » 18 Oct 2014 23:52

Here's something that Tom Hall, one of the developers from ID Software once said about ctf maps.
"As long as the bases are symetrical, the map layout doesn't matter. "

Deli is fine man, no need to change it.
SniperGoth

Postby Bobbo » 18 Oct 2014 23:53

SniperGoth wrote:Here's something that Tom Hall, one of the developers from ID Software once said about ctf maps.
"As long as the bases are symetrical, the map layout doesn't matter. "

Deli is fine man, no need to change it.

Cool quote, but it doesn't apply here.
Bobbo

Postby SniperGoth » 19 Oct 2014 00:52

Well anyway, there's something that has been bothering me a lot lately on svn.
It's the projectile's position when you shoot, it's too much in the center of the screen. Maybe it is just me or im not used to it, but i can't see properly if im close to hit the target with the Pistol/smg/plasma now. It just doesn't seem like it.With the plasma mostly, you can't even see if you are hitting the target on how close it is to the center of the screen, and you can't even see the pistol projectile now the way it is.
And @bobbo ,stop trying to fix something that isn't broken .
SniperGoth

Postby shirepirate » 19 Oct 2014 01:44

this is not a very organized list of issues (and that somewhat bothers me, OCD I know). here are some more things i've thought of:

-the message "unknown command: mdpitch" appears frequently when starting a match. i don't know what triggers it exactly, if there's any more information i can give let me know

-the "weapon switch drop bug." when you try to drop an item and don't have one, the loadout is limited to the current weapon you are using. it's easy to reproduce and quite annoying. sometimes you can still switch to pistol, then that becomes all you can use

-when you begin a duel or survivor by yourself or in offline mode and opt to select a weapon, the match does not reset for you and you must watch bots duke it out until the round ends. i don't know if this is at all related to viewtopic.php?f=11&t=414

-serious logic errors in the bots' behavior in defend the flag & bomber ball. to be more specific the bots will not try to capture a base anymore in the former, and continually pass the ball aimlessly in the latter

-there's no reason to show the "votes" tab in offline mode

-maybe there should be a way to turn off the GUI "tips." (if there is and i missed it, sorry)

-maybe in addition to the percentage a server is modified and the major/minor version, svn revision could be shown?

-maybe a link to "chat lobby" off the main menu could benefit users, executing the same actions as "live support" in the help section

-any reason demos are disabled for multi-view? might invoke some interesting discussion. some may see it as a waste of bandwidth, but i've learned a lot about the game through demos and they might be fun to discuss with others or to teach others (and obviously it could be a disabled mode by default)

-are there any useless variables that are now redundant and will never be used? or some that never were used? perhaps they could be culled

these are 1.6 things, some there's a good chance i or others could even help with to the necessary degree of quality for inclusion:

-a more intuitive in-game server setup GUI, accessible from main menu and covering all important default administrative functions

-a more detailed or exhaustive edit GUI, though a modification of the current GUI to broaden it's usefulness is certainly an option

-review/upgrade variable descriptions

-in-game account applications/approval process (if necessary, administrators could also approve accounts)

-more basic help topics detailing game modes/mutators/weapons, etc (much of what is found on the wiki, only summarized as a help topic off the main menu)

probably that's enough for now, sorry that i like to droll on
shirepirate

Postby qreeves » 19 Oct 2014 02:04

Bobbo wrote:Other:
Parkour behaviour concerning wall jumping is really weird, is there some way to revert that to how it was in 1.4?

shirepirate wrote:the parkour was tweaked on purpose, personally i like the new style but to each their own

Bobbo wrote:I jump off the wall and lose height when I used to gain it, kinda awkward.

The mechanic has been modified to be more like other impulse moves, where you need to aim in the direction you want to go (aim up to go up, aim down to go down). This was done to help in some time trial maps where you needed to go over and under obstacles without touching the ground. I have added "kickstyle" (0 = old method, wall kicks go up, 1 = wall kicks go in aim direction). Although the default for this will be the new behaviour, you are now free to choose.
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby Bobbo » 19 Oct 2014 10:28

Yay! Thanks. That was rather awkward in 3rd person, especially when you consider the aiming bug.
Bobbo

Postby bonifarz » 19 Oct 2014 11:19

radiant wrote:All of the trial routes are zero-death routes.
Ah, that's even better. I still agree with your suggestions about visible and buffing checkpoints.
Bobbo wrote:wall jumping is really weird
I bet once you got used to it you will find it much more useful than the old kick style. Still, it is cool that quin gives us an option to revert to the old style :)
bonifarz

Postby shirepirate » 20 Oct 2014 06:18

this needs to be fixed:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=422&p=3570#p3570

and i realized something else, that in multi on a map such as convolution it is balancing teams out 4 times per match. technically this particular map was made to be symmetrical, so it should be balancing 0 times (mapbalance is 0). could this be fixed too?
shirepirate

Postby unixfreak » 20 Oct 2014 13:48

shirepirate wrote:-the message "unknown command: mdpitch" appears frequently when starting a match. i don't know what triggers it exactly, if there's any more information i can give let me know

this is the problem:
~/bin/redeclipse-svn-current/data/models
$ grep -r mdpitch *
jojo/teamsigma/md5.cfg:mdpitch "" 1

Should be: md5pitch "" 1
unixfreak

Postby qreeves » 21 Oct 2014 02:02

I fixed that in SVN already :P
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby Bobbo » 23 Oct 2014 18:09

/unmute <cn>
/unban <cn>

would be useful, for those instances when you don't want to unban/mute everyone.
Bobbo

Postby freezurbern » 23 Oct 2014 23:11

Bobbo wrote:/unmute <cn>
/unban <cn>

would be useful, for those instances when you don't want to unban/mute everyone.

How you gonna unban a person who isnt connected via cn?
freezurbern

Postby Bobbo » 23 Oct 2014 23:24

freezurbern wrote:
Bobbo wrote:/unmute <cn>
/unban <cn>

How you gonna unban a person who isnt connected via cn?

Touche, but still applies for unmute.

Alternatively, it could be /unban <banid>, if there was a way to list bans on a server.
Bobbo

Postby qreeves » 24 Oct 2014 01:07

Yeah I went to add these and came to the same conclusion half way through implementing it. Ban lists, etc, requires a larger effort.
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby freezurbern » 24 Oct 2014 01:12

qreeves wrote:Yeah I went to add these and came to the same conclusion half way through implementing it. Ban lists, etc, requires a larger effort.

I think at this point, so close to 1.5, these would be nice to have but shouldn't be worried with. Another thing for 1.5, Don't forget the trailer or advertising to go with it!!
freezurbern

Postby shirepirate » 24 Oct 2014 02:23

the trailer is a larger undertaking than it seems, even for a not very professional looking one. as 1.5 grows very near i'm not convinced it's going to happen, maybe it's better left for 1.5.5 or 1.6. i have virtually no experience with capturing the right moments of gameplay, i've even tried it already a couple times, and a random assortment of demos requires someone with editing skill to throw it together. unless quin decides to do this we shouldn't hope for too much.

this isn't to say it couldn't be done amateurishly with a very nice result, but personally i believe it would take more time than is left, and i've already been ready for a new release for a while :)

updated screenshots for the website, on the other hand, is a lot easier to manage.
shirepirate

Postby freezurbern » 24 Oct 2014 02:42

shirepirate wrote:updated screenshots for the website, on the other hand, is a lot easier to manage.

YESSSS show off the new stuff, I think it'd be great to refresh those! For taking the screenshots, much like a trailer, default settings or max settings??
freezurbern

Postby qreeves » 24 Oct 2014 02:49

If I can get enough source videos (at, let's say, 1280x720), I can build a trailer from them.
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby bonifarz » 24 Oct 2014 12:40

What about this one: http://redeclipse.net/wiki/Contribute_Descriptions

Shall I merge the suggestions here with usage.cfg of rev6606 and put that on the wiki?
bonifarz

Postby Bobbo » 24 Oct 2014 18:13

The power of the *push variables on rocket are crazy high, I thought they were bad enough in 1.4 but now it seems they're at least twice that value.
Bobbo

Postby freezurbern » 24 Oct 2014 20:25

Bobbo wrote:The power of the *push variables on rocket are crazy high, I thought they were bad enough in 1.4 but now it seems they're at least twice that value.

Honestly, I did find them a bit strange. I shoot a rocket and don't get hurt by it, but damn, i sure feel it. I think that it the push variables could be cut down by 25% and still be a fun weapon.
freezurbern

Postby SylvieLorxu » 25 Oct 2014 13:18

instagib should probably be enabled again in the default configuration (assuming svn. redeclipse.net uses that).
SylvieLorxu

Postby freezurbern » 25 Oct 2014 15:14

SylvieLorxu wrote:instagib should probably be enabled again in the default configuration (assuming svn. redeclipse.net uses that).

Why?
freezurbern

Postby SylvieLorxu » 25 Oct 2014 15:29

freezurbern wrote:
SylvieLorxu wrote:instagib should probably be enabled again in the default configuration (assuming svn. redeclipse.net uses that).

Why?

Because there's nothing wrong with instagib except that some people overplay it. Banning it by default because it's overplayed if like banning deathmatch by default because it's overplayed.
SylvieLorxu

Postby qreeves » 26 Oct 2014 03:49

I thought we've been over this.. Instagib is only disabled on the servers I run via servinit.cfg, it is not disabled in the code.
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby Bobbo » 26 Oct 2014 11:10

Can't remember if I already mentioned it, but kamikaze is still the same. You said you'd change it so that grenades would drop and continue their timer.
Bobbo

Postby Bobbo » 27 Oct 2014 13:41

qreeves wrote:I have added "kickstyle" (0 = old method, wall kicks go up, 1 = wall kicks go in aim direction).

This is broken, when kickstyle = 0, when you wall jump you jump straight up, not like it used to be, which was more like when kickstyle = 1 and you're look up at an angle of about 30 to 40 degrees

riflehitpush2 (or some variable with a similar effect) is crazy high. It could do with being like a 4th of that value.

plasmahitpush2 is a bit weak; you can run out of the plasma ball without trying almost now.

The fixes I made to longestyard aren't in yet and need to be (due to freestyle): viewtopic.php?p=3721#p3721

King DAC on Center has all the bases, and they're functional.
Bobbo

Postby shirepirate » 28 Oct 2014 05:31

Bobbo wrote:The fixes I made to longestyard aren't in yet and need to be (due to freestyle)

committed, but added the rocket back and changed it to kaboom only

Bobbo wrote:King DAC on Center has all the bases, and they're functional.

fixed as of r6842
shirepirate

Postby shirepirate » 29 Oct 2014 07:23

i believe the visual effects of the flamer are a little too overwhelming as it currently is. the residual and it's normal strength are bad enough, but for someone who takes the time to learn the weapon well it can become so dominating there is hardly a good defense against it.

i play a good deal on the 1.4.5 / svn backported servers, and many have complained about it being too powerful. normally this is the case with any weapon, but they also complained of lag cause by the large amount of flame particles. maybe it could be toned down a bit? maybe there's a little too much spread? (it's hard not to hit your team-mates, even if you can put them out).

i love using flamer so it's with a heavy hand i'd even make the suggestion it be toned down, but it is quite unstoppable in the right hands (especially in FFA modes where you don't have to worry about TKs).

also i think flamer2 was going to be tweaked a little to prevent perpetual air suspension? (maybe that happened already and i forgot).

this is how i see the weapons now, since 1.4:

melee: how doez i headshot with my feet
pistol: well, wtf, it's pistol. i have it disabled :3 (does that make me a n00b?)
sword: can be very powerful to use in non-regen modes now, still hard to sneak up on any opponent in other modes (as they are just as fast as you)
shotgun: was an unstoppable titan, now a gentler deliberate giant
smg: smg1 has an annoying effect of being well, effective. it's very powerful in ffa now. smg2 has enough oomph now when aiming correctly as well.
flamer: ridiculously overpowered in 1.4, it's been overhauled to something more unique. but it is by far the most overwhelming and annoying weapon
plasma: very well balanced now. probably the 2nd most annoying weapon, but i believe that's just because it's doing it's job well in all modes. for it's intended purpose plasma2 is quite effective also
zapper: a slow to kill annoyance, very effective for finishing off after a few hits of something more powerful. zapper2 keeps changing completely so idk wtf, will have more input after playtesting it
rifle: rifle1 is very fast now (the bots' accuracy level with it may need to be tweaked more, same with smg2). this significant speed increase might require a weaker rifle1 damage honestly. no rifle2 pros are going to like having to zoom in after each shot, but in all fairness i can say this is a very good substitute for what would be the normal effect of recoil.
grenades/mines/rocket: all seem to be fairly well balanced. i don't like grenades in duels, whether they are "strategic" or not. there is no reason not to use them as they are more powerful than any weapon, which takes away from the real experience of fighting and it just becomes a game of who can spam the most nades. preventing nades from spawning in "hard" mutator might not be out of the question, mines are very different and could stay (and there's always non-hard for those who prefer them). actually the kamikaze thing is a little annoying too, doesn't really make sense. just because you die your nade explodes? does it have a dead man's switch, lol? if it does then..... i guess that makes sense o.o
shirepirate

Postby qreeves » 29 Oct 2014 08:18

These control the projectile fire effects:
VAR(IDF_PERSIST, projtrails, 0, 1, 1);
VAR(IDF_PERSIST, projtraildelay, 2, 10, VAR_MAX);
VAR(IDF_PERSIST, projtraillength, 1, 350, VAR_MAX);
VAR(IDF_PERSIST, projfirehint, 0, 1, 1);
FVAR(IDF_PERSIST, projfirehintsize, 0, 1.85f, FVAR_MAX);
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby shirepirate » 29 Oct 2014 09:11

/flamerpartblend1 0.65
/flamerspread1 5
/flamerdamage1 5
/flamerflakdamage1 5
/flamertime1 225
VAR(IDF_PERSIST, projtraildelay, 2, 8, VAR_MAX);
VAR(IDF_PERSIST, projtraillength, 1, 200, VAR_MAX);
FVAR(IDF_PERSIST, projfirehintsize, 0, 1.65f, FVAR_MAX);

even with that it's still easy to kill bots/noobs in FFA. it's just such a dominating weapon.
shirepirate

Postby Honno » 29 Oct 2014 09:38

shirepirate wrote:rifle: rifle1 is very fast now (the bots' accuracy level with it may need to be tweaked more, same with smg2). this significant speed increase might require a weaker rifle1 damage honestly. no rifle2 pros are going to like having to zoom in after each shot, but in all fairness i can say this is a very good substitute for what would be the normal effect of recoil.

After trying it I gotta reinforce this. The player navi completely dominated me, a pro, on ffa duel echo. It feels ludicrous because he was using rifle mostly at mid-range and there seems no point to have plasma and SMG anymore. I currently hardly use the rifle because I can't scope and shoot for the life of me, but noscoping seems fine. Whilst Bobbo is a little bastard, I strongly believe his point he made on the "rifledamage 2 75" post which unduly got deleted. My opinion: nerf rifle1 it or the rifle will stay metagame.

Rifle2 I can't say- I suck at scoping badly lol.
Honno

Postby qreeves » 29 Oct 2014 10:13

Play.re is not running an exact SVN copy. I've said this several times, and in that thread. New mechanics were added that can't be replicated in 1.4.x. I have to stress this again: don't report on weapons/balance unless you're using SVN on an SVN server. You will not get an accurate representation of balance in SVN anywhere else, no matter how hard you try to back port the variables.
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby SniperGoth » 29 Oct 2014 18:09

Zapper2 at the moment is pretty hard to use because of the spread. But the one we had 1 week ago was pretty powerful if it hit.
Pistol was pretty much a killer on my hands some weeks ago too. Now not so much .
Flamer2 is supposed to throw you like a ragdoll around, so i don't see the point of it not doing that.
I like where the overall balance is going.
SniperGoth

Postby qreeves » 30 Oct 2014 02:18

zapper2: has the same spread and attack style as zapper1 for the last two days. pistol: hasn't been changed since 1.4.5.
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby SniperGoth » 30 Oct 2014 15:51

qreeves wrote:pistol: hasn't been changed since 1.4.5.

I guess it's just me then :p
SniperGoth

Postby Honno » 30 Oct 2014 17:34

Ghost still has those badly clipped ledges.
Honno

Postby shirepirate » 30 Oct 2014 18:24

Honno wrote:Ghost still has those badly clipped ledges.

even from these images it's not exactly clear what you mean. are you sure whatever you mean needs to be clipped off? and if so then upload the updated files to make it easier (don't forget to calclight, and make sure they're based off the latest rev)
shirepirate

Postby unixfreak » 30 Oct 2014 22:50

shirepirate wrote:

even from these images it's not exactly clear what you mean. are you sure whatever you mean needs to be clipped off? and if so then upload the updated files to make it easier (don't forget to calclight, and make sure they're based off the latest rev)

I had to look a few times in the screeny, snipergoth is stood on a window ledge just to the upper-left of the crosshair.
unixfreak

Postby SniperGoth » 30 Oct 2014 23:30

Yeah, i was doing a little check while on the middle of a match to see if that was fixed.

EDIT: Fixed. Also, what about that random flag texture on the back of one of the buildings? Leave it there as a sort of easter egg?
Another note: largeandincharge.png will be taken out from the release, right?
Attachments
ghost-fix.zip
(1.74 MiB) Downloaded 937 times
SniperGoth

Postby Honno » 31 Oct 2014 00:54

unixfreak wrote:
shirepirate wrote:

I had to look a few times in the screeny, snipergoth is stood on a window ledge just to the upper-left of the crosshair.

Ayup, sorry was being lazy.

Thanks Goth!
Honno

Postby shirepirate » 31 Oct 2014 02:16

SniperGoth wrote:Fixed. Also, what about that random flag texture on the back of one of the buildings? Leave it there as a sort of easter egg?
Another note: largeandincharge.png will be taken out from the release, right?

fix added r6870
the flag texture seems fine to me, maybe others would disagree. as for largeandincharge.png, i think it's silly and counter-productive to RE's growth efforts and my vote is removal, but i'm sure it was just added for comic relief and it's not the end of the world if it would remain (and apparently cinta wants to keep it? :? )
shirepirate

Postby qreeves » 31 Oct 2014 03:32

Yeah, cinta and I want it. It is a silly easter egg for SVN users, and don't worry, it is automatically pruned from our releases.
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby Honno » 31 Oct 2014 12:42

When one throws a mine whilst moving quickly backwards, the mine moves very slowly. As such, moving quickly forwards makes the mine move very quick. I haven't quite noticed this behaviour in 1.4 not sure if there was something in it for this, but either way it's a cool mechanic. However, visually, it looks quite awkward because the mine's whole animation sequence from player to hard surface is slowed down at the same pace, rather then there being any *feeling* of there being consistent gravity.

Check out this short demo to see what I mean.
20141031123801.dmo
(167.44 KiB) Downloaded 1064 times
Honno

Postby SniperGoth » 31 Oct 2014 12:48

That happens with the grenade and mine on 1.4 Honno, it goes faster or slower depending on the momentum.
SniperGoth

Postby freezurbern » 31 Oct 2014 13:26

Perhaps the /doc/examples/servinit.cfg could be updated for 1.5? Mostly the weapon variables, unless other things have changed. Also, a line for addlocalop to help people get admin on their servers with auth instead of the older adminpass (but keep adminpass there ofc)
freezurbern

Postby Honno » 31 Oct 2014 17:48

SniperGoth wrote:That happens with the grenade and mine on 1.4 Honno, it goes faster or slower depending on the momentum.

Yeah I see now, it's a bit extreme now tis all.
Honno

Postby Honno » 01 Nov 2014 10:52

I feel that zapper makes SMG redundant. On my lone zapper vs. SMG stand offs with Calinou recently I always seemed to be on the losing side. Zapper is obviously generally powerful with any other weapon too. I think it should stay more as utility as it really is uniquely powerful- make it so it requires another weapon for it to be potent and so give advantage to non-zapper opponents of having two different ranged weapon. I'd nerf the zapper damage, as right now it deals decent direct damage with the devastating benefits of shock (SMG has stun but it doesn't compare) as well as the status effect damage. Or how about trying no damage from shock status, just lagged movement?

Here's two games to show what I'm talking about:
20141101153834.dmo
(484.7 KiB) Downloaded 991 times

20141101151338.dmo
(476.52 KiB) Downloaded 994 times
Honno

Postby shirepirate » 01 Nov 2014 23:55

it's not a side-arm last resort like pistol, it should stand strong enough as an independent weapon. i'm happy with the current balance of zapper.
shirepirate

Postby shirepirate » 02 Nov 2014 01:56

instead of opening new threads here's some things i noticed from playtesting, based on current rev offline play:

-when you open an older version of RE and the game doesn't recognize a newer variable you have set or a command, it seems to erase the values of these variables in your personal settings. is there a way to stop that? (it's quite annoying).

-there's a bug that occurs and is annoying and easily reproduce-able when there are a loud of sounds playing, it plays what sounds like the lava rumble (not sure exactly which sound effect, but one of the lava ones) over and over at random times when a lot of sounds happen. it does this in maps where that sound is definitely not placed and there is no lava material (like livefire). i'm not sure if it happens in edit mode, a lot of sounds need to be playing for it to occur (add lots of bots).

-the removal of respawn on weapon switch is not intuitive at all for new players who don't know easily how to spectate or suicide. not sure how this can be fixed without the exploit again being possible, but it's at best awkward now. perhaps a longer spawn delay, or perhaps the weapon changed console message could be re-worded, "weapon selection is now: ... press [spectate] [mouse1] to respawn." along with this it probably doesn't have to list all the other weapons as random, it should only list the amount of weapons there as is set in the variable /maxcarry

-i don't know what variable it is exactly, and i can't find when it was changed, but the amount of "push" from a shot of rifle2 is currently very high now (seems much higher than flamer2 even). when being shot mid-air, this will completely change your trajectory and will cause you to die frequently.

-tooltip off main menu for "help" has typo (and incidentally where are all these written down in the game files?)

-perhaps "search lan" in the server list could be ticked by default? it's rare that the option would be available and you wouldn't want it, anyway. it took me a while when i started messing with client-hosted servers to realize this option was even there.

-is there a variable (or could there be one) for enabling/disabling the build information in the bottom-right corner? or perhaps that's an SVN-only thing anyway.

-showmainplayerprev should probably be changed to a client variable like guimainplayerprev and put with the other menu options
shirepirate

Postby radiant » 02 Nov 2014 02:32

For the weapon switch dialog, there could be a checkbox readded that says "click here to suicide and respawn immediately with the new weapons", and if that gets checked, it could follow up the packet with an ordinary suicide command (complete with the normal point loss involved in doing so).
radiant

Postby qreeves » 02 Nov 2014 03:10

shirepirate wrote:-when you open an older version of RE and the game doesn't recognize a newer variable you have set or a command, it seems to erase the values of these variables in your personal settings. is there a way to stop that? (it's quite annoying).

Always use the "-h<folder>" command line parameter for SVN versions of Red Eclipse. The default folder location is for the releases.

shirepirate wrote:-there's a bug that occurs and is annoying and easily reproduce-able when there are a loud of sounds playing, it plays what sounds like the lava rumble (not sure exactly which sound effect, but one of the lava ones) over and over at random times when a lot of sounds happen. it does this in maps where that sound is definitely not placed and there is no lava material (like livefire). i'm not sure if it happens in edit mode, a lot of sounds need to be playing for it to occur (add lots of bots).

I just haven't pushed binaries for the sound fixes yet.

shirepirate wrote:-the removal of respawn on weapon switch is not intuitive at all for new players who don't know easily how to spectate or suicide. not sure how this can be fixed without the exploit again being possible, but it's at best awkward now. perhaps a longer spawn delay, or perhaps the weapon changed console message could be re-worded, "weapon selection is now: ... press [spectate] [mouse1] to respawn." along with this it probably doesn't have to list all the other weapons as random, it should only list the amount of weapons there as is set in the variable /maxcarry

Way too late to be mentioning this now.

shirepirate wrote:-i don't know what variable it is exactly, and i can't find when it was changed, but the amount of "push" from a shot of rifle2 is currently very high now (seems much higher than flamer2 even). when being shot mid-air, this will completely change your trajectory and will cause you to die frequently.

rifle2 has always had an intentionally high hitpush, and it was halved recently. I'm not reducing it anymore.

shirepirate wrote:-tooltip off main menu for "help" has typo (and incidentally where are all these written down in the game files?)

Tooltips are in the menus themselves.

shirepirate wrote:-perhaps "search lan" in the server list could be ticked by default? it's rare that the option would be available and you wouldn't want it, anyway. it took me a while when i started messing with client-hosted servers to realize this option was even there.

No, because it finds the local server too. There is a point where there is too much information, and the server browser definitely fits that. RE is built by default for online play, I won't be confusing people by changing this value.

shirepirate wrote:-is there a variable (or could there be one) for enabling/disabling the build information in the bottom-right corner? or perhaps that's an SVN-only thing anyway.

Vague.

shirepirate wrote:-showmainplayerprev should probably be changed to a client variable like guimainplayerprev and put with the other menu options

There's no reason to hard code variables that only scripts need to access.
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby shirepirate » 02 Nov 2014 04:51

qreeves wrote:I just haven't pushed binaries for the sound fixes yet.

ah, i hadn't thought to check that >.< yea, it fixed the random sound issue, though either i'm compiling wrong or it will give off another error in-game of "unregistered sound: 65805"

qreeves wrote:Way too late to be mentioning this now.

well, that's a shame. though i suppose we can all live with suiciding.

qreeves wrote:rifle2 has always had an intentionally high hitpush, and it was halved recently. I'm not reducing it anymore.

mm, perhaps you're misunderstanding me (i don't know what the variable is called anyway). don't mean to pull a bobbo but this is a problem as it's a complete game-changer. here's how to reproduce it:
start a game of ffa deathmatch on 1.4 or 1.4.5 or any version until very recently offline, delete all but one bot, set /botspeed 0. do a rifle2 body shot. it will damage but the bot will not move very much at all (less than 1 meter).
now, do the same thing in the current revision. wtf, the bot goes flying :? if you time it and position it right you can get the bot to fly like 30 meters. it was not this way in r6550 or really until very recently, what changed?

qreeves wrote:Tooltips are in the menus themselves.

ah i see, thank you.

qreeves wrote:No, because it finds the local server too. There is a point where there is too much information, and the server browser definitely fits that. RE is built by default for online play, I won't be confusing people by changing this value.

my point actually was if there even is a local server, the user is probably searching for how to connect to it (speaking from my own n00b experience). but yeah, last thing the menus need is cluster/bloat.

qreeves wrote:Vague.

i mean where it tells about the graphics card, RE build version and such in the bottom-right corner of the main screen and most menus. there could be a way to turn this off.

qreeves wrote:There's no reason to hard code variables that only scripts need to access.

my point was it probably shouldn't be that way, it should be a client variable that players can access manually or through the appropriate tick box (which looks odd directly on the main menu and should be in options).
shirepirate

Postby Honno » 02 Nov 2014 09:52

shirepirate wrote:it's not a side-arm last resort like pistol, it should stand strong enough as an independent weapon. i'm happy with the current balance of zapper.

But it's bloody powerful with another one, that's what you get for having a weapon with shock.
Honno

Postby Honno » 02 Nov 2014 18:10

Maybe giving the shotgun more ammo will help against flamer. I'm finding myself losing a lot to flamer because of a lack of ammo while flamers now have potent damage and a fair amount of juice.
Honno

Postby Calinou » 02 Nov 2014 19:05

Zapper is quite bad now, like plasma. Also, crouching is still unrealistically fast.

Why are plasma primary particles hidden for a while when shot? It looks ugly and feels like the projectile teleports.
Calinou

Postby SylvieLorxu » 02 Nov 2014 20:05

Calinou wrote:Why are plasma primary particles hidden for a while when shot? It looks ugly and feels like the projectile teleports.

This is to fix an issue where the plasma balls would start so close to you they'd basically blind you each shot. Maybe it starts slightly too late, but I'm not sure what would be the perfect value.
SylvieLorxu

Postby shirepirate » 02 Nov 2014 20:23

i see the huge push from rifle2 was fixed. nice. i agree with calinou, zapper didn't have to be nerfed before a real release
shirepirate

Postby freezurbern » 02 Nov 2014 20:28

SylvieLorxu wrote:
Calinou wrote:Why are plasma primary particles hidden for a while when shot? It looks ugly and feels like the projectile teleports.

This is to fix an issue where the plasma balls would start so close to you they'd basically blind you each shot. Maybe it starts slightly too late, but I'm not sure what would be the perfect value.

I too believe they start a bit late, I was comfortable with their starting position in 1.4.
freezurbern

Postby unixfreak » 02 Nov 2014 22:50

freezurbern wrote:
SylvieLorxu wrote:

I too believe they start a bit late, I was comfortable with their starting position in 1.4.

I think they were a bit blinding in 1.4. Instead of them appearing after a delay, can't you make the projectile start off smaller? The vars that control particle growth are plasmataperin1 and plasmataperout1 if i remember rightly (for anyone that wants to experiment).
Another possibility, not sure if it has a variable though, would be to have a lower blend/alpha on the projectile, so that it fades in after a certain distance instead of spontaneously appearing away from the muzzle.
unixfreak

Postby shirepirate » 03 Nov 2014 21:55

qreeves wrote:
shirepirate wrote:-there's a bug that occurs and is annoying and easily reproduce-able when there are a loud of sounds playing, it plays what sounds like the lava rumble (not sure exactly which sound effect, but one of the lava ones) over and over at random times when a lot of sounds happen. it does this in maps where that sound is definitely not placed and there is no lava material (like livefire). i'm not sure if it happens in edit mode, a lot of sounds need to be playing for it to occur (add lots of bots).

I just haven't pushed binaries for the sound fixes yet.

i was under the impression this had fixed it but it's still happening. go to a FFA deathmatch in darkness, over to the side where it's a little quiet and with flamer and zapper equipped using them as normal i hear the lava rumble sound at random times. is it supposed to play? if so it's quite annoying with no music. it plays even when zapper only is equipped, or if you're standing still. it happens more frequently when a lot of sounds are being played at once. if necessary i could record it.
shirepirate

Postby freezurbern » 03 Nov 2014 22:24

shirepirate wrote:if necessary i could record it.

Please do! I can't seem to reproduce it :S
freezurbern

Postby shirepirate » 04 Nov 2014 00:42

freezurbern wrote:Please do! I can't seem to reproduce it :S

re records huge raw files so i didn't really add video, but the sound should be quite clear. this is me jumping around darkness in FFA deathmatch, around 30 seconds in the lava sound starts and just a little later it plays again. this sound does not exist in the map darkness. i made sure i used a clean home folder with no modified sound settings in config.cfg

https://mega.co.nz/#!xkYG2DZb!iBEgq3GdY ... cBowbOt00Y

edit: i'd also recommend adjusting the default for variable /soundvol to something lower. like 175 or 150, 255 is far too loud really for most audio playback devices (even when they aren't maxed out at 100%)
shirepirate

Postby qreeves » 04 Nov 2014 02:40

Uh, no. Audio in applications should always output at maximum by default. You should be using the system-wide mixer or the volume controls on your playback device. Also, an audio file doesn't show me where the hell in the map you're talking about.
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby shirepirate » 04 Nov 2014 03:30

qreeves wrote:Uh, no. Audio in applications should always output at maximum by default. You should be using the system-wide mixer or the volume controls on your playback device.

i haven't seen that to be the case with many applications, but OK. the sounds at default are rather distorted these days in SVN, because so many play at once. that's why i suggested quieter. not many even realize they have a system-wide mixer :P

qreeves wrote:Also, an audio file doesn't show me where the hell in the map you're talking about.

it doesn't matter where it is. anywhere in any map, the exact same problem occurs when a lot of sounds play at once. even in spectator it occurs.
shirepirate

Postby Calinou » 05 Nov 2014 19:12

I think the ideal value is 50 % of the maximal volume, so 127 here.
Calinou

Postby unixfreak » 23 Nov 2014 20:57

Rather than make a thread, i'll point it out here; the cancel/close button border is slightly smaller than the menu tab border (mild OCD :roll:)
unixfreak

Postby Honno » 23 Nov 2014 21:04

unixfreak wrote:Rather than make a thread, i'll point it out here; the cancel/close button border is slightly smaller than the menu tab border (mild OCD :roll:)

Never noticed that... until now. What have you done!

pls fix
Honno

Postby shirepirate » 24 Nov 2014 00:33

unixfreak wrote:Rather than make a thread, i'll point it out here; the cancel/close button border is slightly smaller than the menu tab border (mild OCD :roll:)

is this really an issue? i sort of like it the way it is and don't see it as a problem (it's the same size for all menus)
Last edited by shirepirate on 24 Nov 2014 01:02, edited 1 time in total.
shirepirate

Postby unixfreak » 24 Nov 2014 00:52

Not an issue really, just pointing it out.
unixfreak

Postby qreeves » 24 Nov 2014 04:51

It's actually smaller in order to distinguish it from tabs.
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby Evropi » 24 Nov 2014 12:31

Well, if we're going to talk about OCD...

One of the things that's always bothered me in RE is how you lose lots of blood when you fall off the map. I always though it was an engine limitation of some sort but Tesseract handles this correctly; you don't bleed when you drop off the map, you just keep falling. I would like to see this in RE as well.
Evropi

Postby radiant » 24 Nov 2014 13:01

Evropi wrote:Well, if we're going to talk about OCD...

One of the things that's always bothered me in RE is how you lose lots of blood when you fall off the map. I always though it was an engine limitation of some sort but Tesseract handles this correctly; you don't bleed when you drop off the map, you just keep falling. I would like to see this in RE as well.

The problem is that death material has many semantic meanings, and for some (spikes, or the exposed fan blades at the top of canals or ubik) the bleed animation is appropriate. One way to handle this is by adding death2, death3... by analogy with water2 or lava2, but instead of having a different static appearance (since death obviously has no visible appearance on its own), have each one apply its own modifications to the death animation, like suppressing bleed/gibs, or adding shock (for an electric fence). This would also allow the use of different obit messages for the different flavors, as was brought up here, but the sentiment shown there was that it's too complicated to be messing with.
radiant

Postby qreeves » 24 Nov 2014 13:50

Build the level closer to the bottom of the map so the player dies from crossing the threshold; then it uses HIT_LOST instead of HIT_MATERIAL, for which I've just turned off the gibs.
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby Iceflower » 25 Nov 2014 20:11

Calinou wrote:Also, crouching is still unrealistically fast.

Yes you are right the difference btw svn and 1.4 is really big D:
i think that its to fast too, the hole game movementspeed looks to fast for me. 1.4 was nice :D (the kick direction change is good but the other hm).

What has changed exactly at the movement vars? and why?

Iceflower
I know my English is cruel. :$
When I talk rubbish correct me.
My public data
Iceflower

Next

Return to General Discussion