Fairer duels / duel improvements

All posts that don't fit into another category, discuss ideas and other things

Fairer duels / duel improvements

Postby Bobbo » 18 Mar 2017 01:19

Just a few things to improve duels, really.

Make the first two duellers random
Currently, at least in FFA, whoever joins the game first are the first two duellers. This favours people with fast computers/have already loaded the map.

In tie rounds, don't choose the winner for the next round
Currently when there's a tie in a round, it seems the next two players are chosen. This can include the current winner (the person with the most points) or the person who won the previous round.
This seems pretty unfair, especially in the latter case as it means they just didn't win a round, but still get to go again.

Force change after winning two rounds (in FFA, already happens in teams)
Currently, duel runs a winner-stays on system, which is fine when you have 3 players. When you have more than 3 and a large skill disparity, it means the less players never get any points (or chance to score any really). If you've got a setup where say, A > B, A > C but C > B. And a duel exists where A v C can't get points because they lose to A, and will never get the chance to fight B.
This'll also make game play less boring for lesser players in large duels, who have to wait for every player before them to duel by just moving through the queue quicker.
Bobbo

Re: Fairer duels / duel improvements

Postby qreeves » 20 Mar 2017 06:14

#1 is now implemented.
#2 I don't quite understand, if it's a tie round, everyone gets added to the end of the queue like a normal death would.
#3 seems to be the main topic which is the most divisive among the community. Personally I'd rather do away with the "winner stays in" altogether, but others disagree.
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby zaquest » 20 Mar 2017 10:26

I think one thing that could really improve duels is getting rid of same place spawns, so that duelers don't start at the same place.
zaquest

Postby Bobbo » 20 Mar 2017 10:50

qreeves wrote:#2 I don't quite understand, if it's a tie round, everyone gets added to the end of the queue like a normal death would.

Sometimes the previous winner who just duelled duels again, it might be that only happens when there's three people. The general idea I was going for was the shift players in that aren't doing so well to give them a bit more of a chance to score points.
Bobbo

Postby SniperGoth » 20 Mar 2017 20:57

I wouldn't change #3 at all.
Taking the player off the top of the hill is one of the best feelings you can have on a massive duel match.
And staying on it too...
Ex Iron fist level designer/ Ex Revelade Revolution level designer, 3d/2d artist, and still trying to figure out sound design...
SniperGoth

Postby Alxa » 20 Mar 2017 22:11

Since #1 is already in; i disagree with #3 for the same reason as Sniper (if there are a lot of people playing, the best would be to play survivor instead of duel) and i agree with Bobbo's point #2, when both players die at the same time, the game just decides who wins or who gets to stay playing. Zaquest is also spot on, that problem with the spawn points is a little bit annoying :/ .

I would also suggest to remove nametags and dominated/dominating icons over the head of the players, since it makes it sooooo easy to spot your enemy when he is hiding or when he is approaching you from the stairs.
I'm pure love to everyone. Official RE Duel Commentator.
Alxa

Return to General Discussion