IDEA: Power-ups without items - mood tracking

All posts that don't fit into another category, discuss ideas and other things

Mood tracking mechanic? I think it ..

Poll ended at 15 Jan 2017 06:13

.. should be selected at the start of the match.
14%
.. should be tracked as part of the core game.
No votes
.. should be tracked only with a mutator enabled.
86%
.. should just be a score bonus with no changes.
No votes
.. isn't something I'd like to see.
No votes

Total votes : 7

IDEA: Power-ups without items - mood tracking

Postby qreeves » 25 Dec 2016 06:13

Happy festive season! So I've been thinking about the idea of power-ups, and how to do that without items (a core idea of RE is item minimization), when I started to think about the score based bonuses we already have (such as domination/revenge, sprees/breaker, etc) and the various (de)buffs (like affinity guarding, bleed/burn/shock). All these different icons running around my head lead me to thinking about Mario Kart's item system and the way it does "rubber banding" (eg. in last place you're more likely to get a blue shell). All this brought me to think that these things are all about moods (something I deal with intensely on a daily basis due to having bipolar disorder), where if you're doing poorly you get some hope, or if you're doing well you get some positive reinforcement.

Anyway, I'm getting off track but I wanted to demonstrate how this idea evolved in my head. My thought is, what if the game changed based on your circumstances in each match? You could be afflicted with a specific mood which changes certain basic aspects of the game to match that mood and provide a balanced buff/debuff. How is this supposed to work? Well that is open to interpretation at this point, but the basic idea is that X happens (either an event of an accumulation of smaller events) and it causes the player the be overcome with a certain mood that matches the events. Being afflicted could also do certain things like disable health and impulse regeneration as an added balance mechanism.

Some examples off the top of my head:
  • Enraged - Get dominated a certain number of times (maybe: 2x health, 2x damage, 0.75x speed)
  • Depressed - Fall very far behind in score (maybe: 0.75x player size, 1.5x speed {size balance}, 0.75x health, invisible when walking and not attacking)
  • Jealous - Be the victim of someone obtaining killing spree (maybe: 1.2x speed, 2x weapon spread, see people through walls {green effect?})
  • Empowered - Obtain a certain number of points in a single life (maybe: 1.2x player size {changes speed, etc but makes a bigger target})
  • Manic - Sustain a certain amount of total accumulative damage in a single life (maybe: 1.5x speed, 1.5x damage, 0.75x health, forced motion blur)
  • And probably many more..
This could just be restricted to a mutator for a variant way to play, or be part of the core game, or they could just be score bonuses like the others. Another layer could also be something you pick at the beginning of a match to describe how you currently feel.
qreeves
Site Admin

Re: IDEA: Power-ups without items - mood tracking

Postby FaTony » 25 Dec 2016 17:23

Sounds like a mutator. But if forced motion blur will pass, I will fork the client and remove it.
FaTony

Postby SniperGoth » 25 Dec 2016 20:00

"Depressed - Fall very far behind in score (maybe: 0.75x player size, 1.5x speed {size balance}, 0.75x health, invisible when walking and not attacking)"
I can already tell this is going to be abused for CTF matches, if it does get into the game :lol:
But yeah, i can see this concept being used more as a mutator than something that is in the core gameplay.
For core gameplay, i still want the utility system (but that's something for another discussion).
Ex Iron fist level designer/ Ex Revelade Revolution level designer, 3d/2d artist, and still trying to figure out sound design...
SniperGoth

Postby qreeves » 26 Dec 2016 05:04

FaTony wrote:Sounds like a mutator. But if forced motion blur will pass, I will fork the client and remove it.

You're basically advertising that you'd cheat, so how about I ban you now and save everyone the hassle of having to listen to you?

SniperGoth wrote:For core gameplay, i still want the utility system (but that's something for another discussion).

Yeah, this is just a half baked random idea from a brainstorming session; polling it to see if it has any merit because while I think it is an interesting concept, I'm not convinced it would meaningfully add to the game. I'm still fully considering the utility system and what kind of role I'd like that to play in the long run. I will create a proper topic for that once I have the basic idea solidified, but I'm hoping it will be ready for v1.6 in at least some rudimentary form. The caveat with adding stuff like that and doing a release is the need for art/models.
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby FaTony » 26 Dec 2016 19:21

qreeves wrote:You're basically advertising that you'd cheat, so how about I ban you now and save everyone the hassle of having to listen to you?

I'm not the only one who will leave. You are now acting like the websites that block the content if you have AdBlock. Nobody likes those.
FaTony

Postby Bobbo » 17 Apr 2017 11:31

Depends on the severity of the motion blur, but this is only suggestion currently.

Imo, doing stuff that requires graphics (e.g., motion blur) isn't good for those of us with potatoes.

If this mutator/mode was active, would you be able to manually opt out of receiving any of these bonuses, or you'd manually invoke it when you want to use it? The one thing all these things seem to do is provide for a very inconsistent game experience (which imo, is bad), like with the speed/size changes, what I can do via parkour changes. Spread will change my damage output on weapons non-uniformly (really bad on shotgun, but negligible on flamer).

I already find some inconsistencies annoying, like how players can get >100 health with no active flag buff (so no glow on their actor) outside of vampire. You get a 100+ damage shot on them and they don't die.
Bobbo

Return to General Discussion