[Bug] Ear rape

Issues that were previously reported and since dealt with.
Forum rules
This issue tracker is now in read-only mode. Please see this topic for more information on how to contribute to Red Eclipse.

[Bug] Ear rape

Postby FaTony » 31 Oct 2014 00:33

So yeah, I dunno what was changed since 1.4 but SVN produces a lot of hard clipping with default sound settings. I've recorded an audio clip to prove.
Attachments
REEarRape.flac.zip
(1.27 MiB) Downloaded 740 times
FaTony

Meh

Postby freezurbern » 31 Oct 2014 00:52

Too many sounds... getting blended together? sounds mushy, not 'ear rape'
freezurbern

Re: [Bug] Ear rape

Postby FaTony » 31 Oct 2014 02:49

It doesn't happen in 1.4.
FaTony

Postby qreeves » 31 Oct 2014 03:55

Try r6871. If that doesn't help try playing with soundachans and/or turning off soundcull.
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby FaTony » 31 Oct 2014 04:22

It certainly made it less noticeable. I think maybe new 1.5 sounds are way too loud? I'm not sure.
FaTony

Postby qreeves » 31 Oct 2014 07:05

It's mostly the way we have to handle sounds. There are only so many we can play at once, so we have to cull sounds, which causes this clipping. Map sounds should be using the nocull flag, but it isn't always a guarantee (especially when there are a lot of these sounds). Add to this player sounds, some of which you need to hear, and there's a lot going on.
qreeves
Site Admin

Re: [Bug] Bad sound

Postby SylvieLorxu » 31 Oct 2014 08:37

qreeves wrote:It's mostly the way we have to handle sounds. There are only so many we can play at once, so we have to cull sounds, which causes this clipping. Map sounds should be using the nocull flag, but it isn't always a guarantee (especially when there are a lot of these sounds). Add to this player sounds, some of which you need to hear, and there's a lot going on.

Could this be related to the zapper? I heard the sound quality drop pretty noticably yesterday when we had a lot of zapper users. Of course, it could be a coincidence, but still...
SylvieLorxu / TheLastProject | Global Administrator, Red Eclipse | Signature thief
SylvieLorxu

Postby FaTony » 12 Dec 2014 18:01

I've finally found the annoying sound, it's sounds/sfx/underwater.ogg. It's very loud and is played whenever you get residual (which is a bug, doesn't occur in 1.4).
FaTony

Postby shirepirate » 04 Jan 2015 02:18

personally i could do without this sound being played too, it's the same thing i was bitching about a couple months ago but i couldn't identify what sound it was, thought it was a lava rumble. there's no real reason for this sfx to play in normal combat is there? it's an underwater sound after all. seems to play at random times even when you haven't gotten residual

in game.cpp i only see it mentioned here:
Code: Select all
                    if(!issound(liquidchan))
                        playsound(S_UNDERWATER, camera1->o, camera1, SND_LOOP|SND_NOATTEN|SND_NODELAY|SND_NOCULL, -1, -1, -1, &liquidchan);
                    break;
For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. For every freedom, there is a new limit. For every joy, a new sorrow. For every act of kindness, an unspeakable cruelty. Where someone succeeds, someone else fails. A new association means a new separation. Loyalty meets treachery, honor breeds disgrace, free expression yields censorship. Each piece of knowledge forms new ignorance. Even death gives rise to new life. But the balance of existence is the beginning of wisdom and discernment.
shirepirate

Postby qreeves » 04 Jan 2015 02:50

I ran several matches with the sound debug menu I made (in svn), the underwater sound never plays for me unless the camera is in water. Unable to reproduce issue.
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby shirepirate » 04 Jan 2015 03:29

the sound debug menu picks up no anomalies that i can see, or the source of the sound is unknown and never appears on the radar. reproducing for me is as simple as starting a deathmatch game on darkness and walking around for a while. a sure way to hear it is to cause residual damage to yourself. any other way to debug it? there's no mistaking, it is absolutely underwater.ogg and i tested with a brand new settings folder
For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. For every freedom, there is a new limit. For every joy, a new sorrow. For every act of kindness, an unspeakable cruelty. Where someone succeeds, someone else fails. A new association means a new separation. Loyalty meets treachery, honor breeds disgrace, free expression yields censorship. Each piece of knowledge forms new ignorance. Even death gives rise to new life. But the balance of existence is the beginning of wisdom and discernment.
shirepirate

Postby shirepirate » 19 Jan 2015 04:51

if you can picture a dubstep soundboard throwing up, that's what RE sounds like currently. why do things bug out so horribly when lots of sounds play? and underwater.ogg plays all the time, constantly for seemingly no reason. whenever a sg2 hits near you it sounds like a wall of bricks just fell 2 feet from you, it's so much louder than any other sound effects. wish i could take a proper video of it all for the lols but screen recorders don't work well with my sound card.

this will undoubtedly be one of the major complaints of 1.5 if the reason can't be found out, at least 4 people have experienced this so far

the key to finding the issue will be to list everything that has changed about the audio, how it's processed, when or how or what sound effects are played and under what circumstances they are culled, since 1.4.5 (none of this was a problem in 1.4.5)
shirepirate

Postby freezurbern » 19 Jan 2015 14:05

Does RE give an error when trying to play a file that doesn't exist? Perhaps deleting the underwater.ogg will tell you it was attempting to play it but couldnt..
I really want the muddy sound fixed too, I'll try to look at what's changed since 1.4.5.

EDIT: Here's a video straight from my RE SVN, http://ocean.freezurbern.com/downloads/RE_r7092-ctf_darkness-muddy_sound.avi I think it makes the weird sounds. It is a 105MB .avi, so there's your warning.
http://ocean.freezurbern.com/downloads/blargh.mp4 is a converted copy (1.5megabytes) of the same video, but still makes the weirdness heard
freezurbern

Postby unixfreak » 19 Jan 2015 16:41

freezurbern wrote:Here's a video straight from my RE SVN, http://ocean.freezurbern.com/downloads/RE_r7092-ctf_darkness-muddy_sound.avi I think it makes the weird sounds. It is a 105MB .avi, so there's your warning.
http://ocean.freezurbern.com/downloads/blargh.mp4 is a converted copy (1.5megabytes) of the same video, but still makes the weirdness heard

I've had that a few times while playing svn too. From your video it does sound like the underwater sound, then multisampled a whole bunch of times until it turns to noise/fades out.
unixfreak

Postby qreeves » 05 Feb 2015 05:48

I did some changes to sounds prior to the move to GIT. I've also moved this topic to "Help and Support" so I can confirm the bug is gone with you all.
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby Dawn » 05 Feb 2015 11:37

If this is fixed does that mean 1.5 is imminent?
Dawn

Postby qreeves » 06 Feb 2015 01:08

Dawn wrote:If this is fixed does that mean 1.5 is imminent?

Yeah, once we've resolved all the stuff to do with the switch to GIT as well, it's likely we can finally pull together and make a release.
qreeves
Site Admin

Postby bonifarz » 10 Feb 2015 11:17

shirepirate wrote:reproducing for me is as simple as starting a deathmatch game on darkness and walking around for a while. a sure way to hear it is to cause residual damage to yourself.

Could not reproduce with base:b50e467e7e8b45cb4f91370703829c727cb83271 (wind-amd64)
bonifarz

Postby shirepirate » 10 Feb 2015 14:17

bonifarz wrote:Could not reproduce with base:b50e467e7e8b45cb4f91370703829c727cb83271 (wind-amd64)

yeah, it has been fixed since the move to git. discussed in irc but forgot to update the thread, sorry. both the underwater sound and loud flak from shotgun are fixed
shirepirate

Postby qreeves » 10 Feb 2015 16:16

Thanks, closing issue!
qreeves
Site Admin

Return to Closed Issues